Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hats off to Treasure

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It was one of the best aftermaths I've ever read. I've never seen someone so hated by an online community!

I also forgot to mention the zombie levels. That game has a bit of everything.

Sure, it's not as good as the first or X (Don't even bother with 2 tbh), but it's still better than Gunstar Heroes :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stuart Campbell has a knack for being opinionated and then not helping his cause :)

I actually liked Metal Slug 2 better than 3. The zombie level of 3 was pretty cool though. I definitely wouldn't class MetalSlug 3 anywhere near Gunstar Heroes while 1,2 and X I would find hard to say if they are better or worse than GH. Personal preference and nostalgia says GH is better but it's too hard to say subjectively!

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Stuart Campbell has a knack for being opinionated and then not helping his cause :)

I actually liked Metal Slug 2 better than 3. The zombie level of 3 was pretty cool though. I definitely wouldn't class MetalSlug 3 anywhere near Gunstar Heroes while 1,2 and X I would find hard to say if they are better or worse than GH. Personal preference and nostalgia says GH is better but it's too hard to say subjectively!

Metal Slug 2 is great, there's just no real point playing it seeing as X is basically the game remastered minus the slowdown. I absolutely love the mummy level in that game. Still feel bad shooting the mummy dogs!

Status change levels like that and the zombie one can be annoying gameplay wise, but as long as you don't get transformed they're an absolute joy purely for the sprite animations.

Unfortunately I also fall victim to nostalgia when it comes to the Metal Slug games so being objective totally goes out the window. Gunstar Heroes on the other hand, to my shame, I didn't play in the Megadrive's prime. How I missed out on that one I'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Pick up the anthology on ps2,well worth money.

Saturn port is worth punt too.

Master of the Universe

I've never played any of the Saturn ports. Are they 100% ports or have they been toned down a bit?

I play the Metal Slug games as they were intended - on a Neo Geo ;) Have them all apart from 5. I want to buy it for completion, but it's not very good and it would be painful dropping the money people are asking for. But ah, completion!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

I expected that cliche answer of neo geo :P

Saturn port makes use of the ram cart-

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When I get a bit of moneyI'll definitely be picking up the MVS cartridges for 1, 2 and X.

Found that the saturn version while excellent slows down like crazy and has to stop displaying some sprites when the game gets crazy in the latter stages.

Advertisement