Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rakuga Kids turned up the other day, all the way from Austria, cost was all off a fiver, so not to bad, plays grand as well, nice and bright, makes me wish it could go the rest of the way and let me make the cast of Parrappa to beat the snot out each other "Ha! Master Onion, lets see your eye's water after a dragon punch to the nads, Mwa hahaha!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Victory Road baby! I'm off to Indigo Plateau and I'm bringing an ass kicking with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

just installed a nes emulator on my DS...
    (loads up Ducktales...)
    How did you do that? D:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can run one from an R4 card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They are pretty nice alright, the Nes emu on my HTC Desire is really nice though, coupled with the best screen ever, OLED so the contrast ratio is choice, the emu is configured so light gun games work with the touch screen, now a certain amount of the challenge is gone, sure, but it's still fun playing Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman on the go.
    I have Gumshoe as well, but thats not as much fun, anyone know of any other NES light gun games of note?

And for a decent, up to date list of emus try this,
    http://www.qj.net/nintendo-ds/homebrew-emulators
    Thats all the emus on the DS.

And here's the Wii equivalent,
    http://www.qj.net/wii/homebrew-emulators

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You can run one from an R4 card.
    No way, can you do a snes one? I'd could bring my Earthbound everywhere then ^D^~<3

There's definitely a SNES one. Not sure how good it is, I imagine it'sa bit slow but can try it out for you.

Nope, the Snes one is just fine, the MD one is excellent and the 8 bit systems are great as well.
    I have a PC Engine one on my DS too and it is super sweet.

Yeah but my definition of perfect emulation is different to yours. I'm the one that gets hung up on sound not being correct (SNES and MD emulators are notorious for this) things not running at the full 60Hz and such :) I'll have to try it myself. I'm sure sera doesn't care though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Parodius dá Still after 12 or so years trying to complete it:mad::mad: (on one credit and on hard setting, I refuse to cheat)

Battletoads two player............. with girlfriend *sigh* wont be beating this anytime soon :P

• Advertisement

I'll have to try it myself. I'm sure sera doesn't care though.

On such differences relationships have floundered and fallen.
    Please, for the love of all things, and for our collective possible invites to the only retro gaming themed wedding we'll ever get going to, get some counselling, figure out if the love of a good woman is more important than the sound chip of the MD or the S-FX chip of the Snes is completely and totally accurate,
    Think of the children Retr0 and Sera, think of the children!

I'm sure sera doesn't care though.
    Yeah I don't, it doesn't need to be perfect :pac:
    Please, for the love of all things, and for our collective possible invites to the only retro gaming themed wedding we'll ever get going to, get some counselling, figure out if the love of a good woman is more important than the sound chip of the MD or the S-FX chip of the Snes is completely and totally accurate,
    +1
    CiDeRdUdE you should teach classes on a successful marriage
    Think of the children Retr0 and Sera, think of the children!
    the-fifth-pacman-ghost-31932-1235058474-8.jpg
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'm only seeing a white box there, but in my mind it's a video about eating an orange.

Edit: I was pretty close.

I know, I need help but there's nothing worse than playing on an emulator and seeing in the corner 55/60 knowing I'm not getting every frame of animation!

Or playing RKA on Kgen and hating how the music sounds completely different to how it should.

Or worse of all, playing an emulator on a handheld and knowing that it's not displaying in the correct resolution and there's pixels missing!

Well it can't be as bad as the emulation for the recent sonic collection on the DS. How the hell did that pass QA?

The homebrew emulators did a better job of Sonic and chums than the official emu Sega made you pay for, where's the sense there? Hmm? Where? Slowdown? Sonic with slowdown? It's an anathema to the whole raison d'etre of Sonic, it's be like Mario had an aversion to jumping down pipes and headbutting blocks with question marks on.

And what you're saying is that lousy filtering, dropped frame rates, poorly implemented touch screen buttons and the lack of accurate sound chip emulation is more or less important than loves own sweet caress?

Remember please, you can't emulate love.

(Well you can but you'll be either paying by the half-hour or warming up the hand lotion in the microwave (for gods sake take the top off first though, I must have read that somewhere))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Just spent the afternoon playing Shadow of the Colossus:D
    Kinda struggling with the camera controls which is strange due to how excellent the controls are but I keep moving the camera in the wrong direction, I just need to get used to it.
    As for the game itself it is magnificent the music is excellent and the visuals are gorgeous even right at the beginning the game gives the sense of solitude on a grand scale.
    the gameplay is really nice and controlling the horse is just plain fun.
    Have only fought the first of the Colossi and can safetly say it's gonna be a hard game.:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

pdbhp wrote: »
    Just spent the afternoon playing Shadow of the Colossus:D
    Kinda struggling with the camera controls which is strange due to how excellent the controls are but I keep moving the camera in the wrong direction, I just need to get used to it.

Great game alright. You can invert the controls in the settings I think, if ya want to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Great game alright. You can invert the controls in the settings I think, if ya want to. :)

Good man I'll try that later hopefullt that will put pay to my frustrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I've been playing SWAT 4 recently, which I bought after watching Spoony's Let's Play of the game. I know how dime a dozen internet critics/comedians are, but I've always found his solo creations pretty fantastic and almost always funny. For anyone who doesn't take it too seriously his long-form video review of Final Fantasy VIII is really worth a look.

Anyway, SWAT 4 was a game I'd had little or no interest in until I watched the Let's play, even though I knew Irrational (System Shock 2, Bioshock..!) developed it and that it wasn't badly recieved by anyone. I don't know what tripped it off but the idea of playing a FPS where you had to adhere to real SWAT protocol made for an interesting proposition.

When it finally came after my first order getting lost in the post the disc manged to consistently lock up my disc drives when I tried to install it. And that was it until about three days ago, when I finally made the effort to get it working. It's as good and as bad as was advertised in the Let's Play, from slavish adherence to handcuffing and reporting suspects to tense stand-offs when you're not sure if the guy is greally going to drop his weapon or if he's going to turn around and cut you to ribbons. It feels like what I wished Raindow Six was back when I played the early games in that series, less time spent planning and more on tactically clearing out a location.

It's pretty refreshing to get to play a shooter where shooting is your last option rather than your first!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

vangoz wrote: »
    Battletoads two player............. with girlfriend *sigh* wont be beating this anytime soon :P
    Good luck with that, i remember beating my brother when we were younger on the car things level because im fairly certain you share lives
    Why..PUNCH....do you...PUNCH...have to...PUNCH..suck so much. Bah im getting angry even thinking about it now.

• Advertisement

The forced scrolling levels in that game can go **** themselves and are just impossible in 2 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Playing Fzero on snes at the moment. Just found out the younger brother deleted all my best lap times and the difficulty level that comes up after you finish the other three levels is gone also, so have to get that back. Hours of effort from my childhood wiped out by my younger brother. There's times when murder is justified and I reckon that this should be one of them.

Just ordered Wolverine Adamantium Rage on ebay. That's next.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Playing Fzero on snes at the moment. Just found out the younger brother deleted all my best lap times and the difficulty level that comes up after you finish the other three levels is gone also, so have to get that back. Hours of effort from my childhood wiped out by my younger brother. There's times when murder is justified and I reckon that this should be one of them.

Don't go blaming him so hastily. The batteries in those games can go after a few years and delete all your save data.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Maybe the battery in the cart died and that's why all your saves are gone?

Okay Ive done something really bad then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Okay Ive done something really bad then.

Dig him up, quick. It may yet not be too late :eek:

Oh it was okay. He still had a continue.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Maybe the battery in the cart died and that's why all your saves are gone?

Maybe they have gone to silicon heaven?
    You know the place, it's where pocket calculators go...

(waits to see if there are any other dwarfies in the vicinity)

I just realised that I wrote page after page of 'I am a fish' for me thesis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I just realised that I wrote page after page of 'I am a fish' for me thesis.

Red Dwarf much? :D

Advertisement