Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maplins weather station, help!

• 04-12-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

I have had this weather station since april/may and last night the signal to the base station was intermittent when temps went down to 1C so guessed that the batteries were going flat. I have replaced the batteries and it is not communicating with the base station at all now and am at a loss as to what is wrong, am I missing something? the transmitter's led flashed but not for 4 seconds as the instruction booklet says, the booklet is a bit rubbish to be honest, can anyone help me please? Thanks in advance MM.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I have had this weather station since april/may and last night the signal to the base station was intermittent when temps went down to 1C so guessed that the batteries were going flat. I have replaced the batteries and it is not communicating with the base station at all now and am at a loss as to what is wrong, am I missing something? the transmitter's led flashed but not for 4 seconds as the instruction booklet says, the booklet is a bit rubbish to be honest, can anyone help me please? Thanks in advance MM.

Hi Mountainyman, can you tell me what model number the station is and if it has a USB/ wireless connection etc and I might be able to help get it sorted
    I also suggest that you post your problem here and have a read through the thread. They have a lot of expertise with Maplin/FineOffset weather stations and very helpful.

Edit:

Resetting the console might work

Take the batteries out of the station then unplug/remove batteries from the base station. Replace the batteries in the station then switch the base station back on. Try that in that exact order

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Thanks Lumi, had a poke about on that forum and seems I needed to reset the base station so removed batteries and left it for a few mins and replaced and is all good now. its a N96FY by the way. Thanks for taking the time to help, was panicing as it would happen just as the weather is going to do something interesting.

Thanks again
    MM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

First step in all technological problem solving is always 'turn it off and turn it back on again'

While it might just be a joke from the IT Crowd, it will usually work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I always seem to run out of juice right before the weather does something interesting!! then I constantly forget to get the batteries when I am near a shop!! Of course the wind was battering the house this morning.

Dear Santa
    I have been a good girl all year... mostly... and for Christmas I would like replacement batteries for my weather station... and replacement batteries for my brain, which also seems to have run empty!!

:D Eskimocat

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

eskimocat wrote: »
    I always seem to run out of juice right before the weather does something interesting!! then I constantly forget to get the batteries when I am near a shop!! Of course the wind was battering the house this morning.

Dear Santa
    I have been a good girl all year... mostly... and for Christmas I would like replacement batteries for my weather station... and replacement batteries for my brain, which also seems to have run empty!!

:D Eskimocat

Small wind turbine/solar panel of some use maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 NinjaN

I have one of these too, similar issue, no readings and the temp stuck at 7.5 degrees. Resetting worked for a few days and then it went again.

Brought it back to Maplins and no problem changing it, new one works fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've given up on mine, was sucking the life out of batteries in no time, so am developing a home-grown solution using the sensors, Arduinos and Raspberry Pi.
    Needless to say it's taking plenty of time, but hey it's cold and dark - well dark out in the evenings and sure why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

The litumim batteries last significantly longer than the regular ones. Definitely worth the additional expense over all. Mine need replacing once a year roughly.
    It all depends on the distance you have the station from the console and whether it has to send the signal through thick walls, or so I was informed.

Like the idea of a little solar panel as a back up... for the brain if not the weather station!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

While the might not be the most reliable yokes you certainly cant beat them for the price...
    And on that note I have just spotted that they are on special again 1/2 price and looks like for today only in Maplin so if anyone is interested in a cheap and slightly flakey weather station have a look at them here
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/silver-usb-wireless-touchscreen-weather-forecaster-n96fy?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=13P12-39

Mine is hooked up to a raspberry pi running weewx - pretty nifty and up and running in under an hour :)

Still need to reset the base by removing the batteries every so often and typically when there is something interesting going on wind or otherwise I find the thing has hung and needs to be reset :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Buy this, put a set of Eneloops into it and forget about batteries. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

joujoujou wrote: »
    Buy this, put a set of Eneloops into it and forget about batteries. :)

Have you done so?

My own WH1081 does not like rechargeable batteries at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yup, that's exactly what I've done. 2 eneloops inside, solar panel outside, now some 18 months without looking into a battery compartment. :)

Advertisement