Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASA: It Rained So Hard the Oceans Fell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Maybe they fell by 6mm because global warming isn't happening? i.e. we have cycles, no we'restarting to coll . . .but no, they instead blame the sea level FALL on global warming . . .bloody hypocrites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The horrible thing about that is all that extra water vapour is itself a powerful contributor to further warming, before it makes it's way back to the sea.
    Reading something yesterday about canadian ice sheets losing twice as much as an already pesimistic forecast had anticipitaed for this year and that in one case, the biggest and furthest north of them was the one that had declined the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Wertz wrote: »
    The horrible thing about that is all that extra water vapour is itself a powerful contributor to further warming, before it makes it's way back to the sea.
    Reading something yesterday about canadian ice sheets losing twice as much as an already pesimistic forecast had anticipitaed for this year and that in one case, the biggest and furthest north of them was the one that had declined the most.

The atmosphere can only hold so much water vapour, so they seem to be implying that all the extra water is on land someplace, which doesn't make much sense at all.

Story seems a bit fishy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The atmosphere can only hold so much water vapour, so they seem to be implying that all the extra water is on land someplace, which doesn't make much sense at all.

Story seems a bit fishy to me.

The atmosphere can hold as much water vapour as it's average temperature can allow (within reason, and allowing for pressure)...a small rise in air temp could allow an extra % of WV to exist within the atmosphere (and it's very presence allowing for an extra heating effect).
    I don't know where the article is saying the water is, but judging by some of the floods in Asia alone in the past couple of months, a fair bit of it is in the monsoonal system...6mm of all the earth's oceans is quite an amount though and as the article itself says, where is the thermal expansion of seawater and it's sea level raising effect?
    Maybe someone took out the plughole?

Oh and link about canadian ice shelfs, since I didn't post one...
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/canadian-arctic-nearly-loses-entire-ice-shelf_2011-09-30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Look at the sea level map,Ireland and britain stayed the same......wont complain about the rain again :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement