Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Megadrive 1, 2, cd, that 32 thingy, Saturn and Dreamcast

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

batari wrote: »
    you could easily be offended round here if you're not used to it I guess, everyone has an opinion and a favourite. Master System rules Sega for me too considering how much they managed to push the machine

No no, it's pronounced 'M-E-G-A D-R-I-V-E', not Master System.

Don't worry, you'll get it eventually ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Alex Kidd in Miracle World is better than SMB 1 (and 2 - but that goes without saying). :p

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

Adyx wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Alex Kidd in Miracle World is better than SMB 1 (and 2 - but that goes without saying). :p

Oh, no i wouldn't go that far! It certainly looks better than SMB1, but Mario has a more refined design and is a much greater challenge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Have you been sniffing paint thinner or something! I'm calling shenanigans right now... :pac:

oh and no more about bloody Golden Eye! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

paperwork wrote: »
    Oh, no i wouldn't go that far! It certainly looks better than SMB1, but Mario has a more refined design and is a much greater challenge.

I think you two should start your own forum, call it something appropriate like "Deluded Gamers Forum", you know, snappy yet descriptive, accurate but succinct.

I mean, whatever about debating Goldeneyes relevance or Treasures almost constant genius, or Demon's Souls pure dislike of casual gamers, but please, don't dis Super Mario Bros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

No mention of the "GameGear" was it?? :rolleyes:

Wasnt there some sorta combined Megadrive/CD system made. Never got one but remember wanted to get it one xmas, but dad couldnt manage to get it over here. Maybe as well didnt :rolleyes:
    Edit : Multi Mega
    800px-Sega_Multi_Mega.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ok I'm a long time gamer and have owned a nes,snes,n64,gamecube,wii, all the game boys,spectrum,ps1,ps2,ps3,xbox,xbox 360,psp,psp go and my personal favourite the Dreamcast. I have never owned but played the atari 2600 and the mega drive. So what you ask? Well it just dawned on me that I have never even seen a sega master system. I was a big Nintendo fan back in the early 90s and sega was the enemy so this is the reason I ignored the ms which I now regret.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've got one, its a MultiMega/CDX, a combined Megadrive and MegaCD and looks very nice.
    It could also be used as a rudimentary discman (if you are not sure what a discman is, feck off!)

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've got one, its a MultiMega/CDX, a combined Megadrive and MegaCD and looks very nice.
    It could also be used as a rudimentary discman (if you are not sure what a discman is, feck off!)

Heh, imagine Commodore did something similar with a Walkman/tape deck.

Why did we never get games on vinyl?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »

RCA Selectavision is about as close as you'll get to that pipe dream.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

I actually hope to hunt one down some day, you can get Back To The Future on CED!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »

I actually hope to hunt one down some day, you can get Back To The Future on CED!

Wow! Never heard of that before!

edit - seems they're not that expensive either. Would go nicely beside my reel to reel tape deck! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Pyongyang wrote: »

What the jenkins is that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

o1s1n wrote: »

Very small amount where released on speccy along with flexi disc-

http://www.kempa.com/2004/03/09/vinyl-data/

Loading from flexi disc-

Late 80s codemasters released cd games pack for spec/c64-

The ULTIMATE COMBO was pioneer laseractive,which played MD/MCD/Laserdisc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Whats up with the Megadrives and Genesis (spelling?)? Are the all near enough the same?

Exact same machines. They just decided to name it the Genesis the U.S.---probably to appeal to Republican voters and Phil Collins fans.:pac:

Is the Saturn a good console?

Most of it's best games were released in Japan only so you'd have to sort out the region coding crap. There's some great 2-D shooters and the Saturns coversions of 2-D fighters were always far better than the over rated PS1. The games that did make it to these shores are pretty good anyway. There's some great Sega arcade games: Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua cop, Daytona etc.

Do I need a Sega CD?

Only "must have" game for it is Sonic CD, which some people consider the best Sonic game ever made. Most of the games are crap.

And what is this 32 ex thing? Is that even a thing?

Like the Mega CD it was designed to boost the power of the Megadrive which was showing it's age compared to the Snes which was throwing out beautiful games like Donkey Kong country, Killer Instinct, Star wing and Stunt race FX. It was a massive commercial failure. I had one and it's a shame as there's some decent conversions of Virtua racing, Knuckles chaotix, Mortal Kombat 2 and Doom. The 32X version of Virtua Fighter was ironically far superior to the Saturn version. You should be able to pick it up dirt cheap. Make sure you get all the cables though.

Basically which ones are worth getting and which has the best games?

All of them apart from the Mega CD. If you can find the 32X and a few good games dirt cheap then it might be worth a go.

Also what do I need for a Dreamcast? Also what the prices of them?

About fifty Euro for a console I'm guessing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,764 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say the Mega CD is far better than the 32X. Plenty of great games on it that are unique to the system unlike the 32X. And none of them are Sonic CD which I think is vastly overrated and not all that good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Berns wrote: »
    No mention of the "GameGear" was it?? :rolleyes:

Wasnt there some sorta combined Megadrive/CD system made. Never got one but remember wanted to get it one xmas, but dad couldnt manage to get it over here. Maybe as well didnt :rolleyes:
    Edit : Multi Mega
    800px-Sega_Multi_Mega.jpg
    was talking to the fella in RAGE yesterday , and he showed me one of them they got in ..they havent priced it yet (as far as yesterday anyway)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think you two should start your own forum, call it something appropriate like "Deluded Gamers Forum", you know, snappy yet descriptive, accurate but succinct.

I mean, whatever about debating Goldeneyes relevance or Treasures almost constant genius, or Demon's Souls pure dislike of casual gamers, but please, don't dis Super Mario Bros.
    I'd like to sign up for that forum then,as other than smb1 , I've never really been a fan of the hirsute Italian plumbers games...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

was talking to the fella in RAGE yesterday , and he showed me one of them they got in ..they havent priced it yet (as far as yesterday anyway)

They wanted 200 quid for it last Saturday. No doubt they've been told it's not worth that much and are deliberating on a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭OniKen

Personaly The megadrive is my fave console, still, the satern is underated but is good and the dreamcast is also really good. You only need those three really. I do recomend megadrive, satern and dreamcast, there really good consoles.

OniKen wrote: »
    Personaly The megadrive is my fave console, still, the satern is underated but is good and the dreamcast is also really good. You only need those three really. I do recomend megadrive, satern and dreamcast, there really good consoles.

I prefer the Snus and the Pleystation myself!

Sorry for the above attempt at humour, but that should probably be "Saturn" as in big planet with the pretty rings or father of the Roman god Jupiter. ;)

Couldn't help it, you said it twice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement