Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will not having a Leaving Cert skew my chances of getting accepted to the DF?

• 20-01-2019 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Story, I'm 18 and have been offered a SOLAS Electrician apprenticeship, It's what I wanted to do after school and If I want to accept it I have to drop out, meaning I will not get my Leaving Cert.

I know the DF does not require any educational requirements to join however if I go to join after the apprenticeship with no Leaving Cert would they even look at me?
    I've always wanted to join the army and if it will severely alter my chances of getting In I will deny the apprenticeship offer.

(I know you can do apprenticeships in the army but I'm not interested in that route for various reasons)

Any help appreciated, sound.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Dilsea wrote: »
    Story, I'm 18 and have been offered a SOLAS Electrician apprenticeship, It's what I wanted to do after school and If I want to accept it I have to drop out, meaning I will not get my Leaving Cert.

I know the DF does not require any educational requirements to join however if I go to join after the apprenticeship with no Leaving Cert would they even look at me?
    I've always wanted to join the army and if it will severely alter my chances of getting In I will deny the apprenticeship offer.

(I know you can do apprenticeships in the army but I'm not interested in that route for various reasons)

Any help appreciated, sound.

Make a decision one way or the other. If you dither you will lose both opportunities. I couldnt see how both of them would work out. by the time you have your apprenticeship done, it may not be in your financial interest to join the army. If you join the regular army you will have a slim chance of getting an apprenticeship.

God be with the days when you could do it all. College/University/Apprenticeship and join the FCA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

So, you'd be doing an apprenticeship to avoid school/bide time? :confused:

You might just be officer material

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Budah

Can I take the apprenticeship if you don't?

Advertisement