Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 The Year Of The Vegan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

From the article "Fully a quarter of 25- to 34-year-old Americans say they are vegans or vegetarians". Wow! Further evidence that veganism and vegetarianism is fast moving from a niche activity to a massive socio economic trend.

If trends continue, one wonders what will happen in decades to come. Will meat eating become a niche activity eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭TheClubMan

JTMan wrote: »
    Will meat eating become a niche activity eventually?

Fat chance! 😂 Humans have eaten meat for thousands of years whether it be through the hunting or rearing of animals and that's not going to change anytime soon as long as there's a demand for meat. Vegans/vegetarians are a minority (a very loud minority at that) and will continue to be into the future. Excuse me while I go eat my 8 oz steak for dinner 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

469876.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

And more!

Morrison's vegan pizza

Pizza Hut BBQ Jackfruit Pizza

Bill's Veganuary menu

Waitrose Fishless Fingers and Tartare Sauce

Sainsbury Vegan Prawns and Vegan Smoked Salmon

Gordon Ramsey also doing a Vegan menu as a first too.

• I'm all for eating vegetarian/vegan regularly and if someone wants to completely convert, by all means do- but I really don't like the way the public add campaigns are putting down the meat industry - I'd prefer to see the Vegan industry talk up their own industry benefits than talk down the meat industry

methode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F3d5b22e0-ed79-11e7-8539-e5d3352c849a.jpg?crop=2250%2C1266%2C0%2C117&resize=685

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'm all for eating vegetarian/vegan regularly and if someone wants to completely convert, by all means do- but I really don't like the way the public add campaigns are putting down the meat industry - I'd prefer to see the Vegan industry talk up their own industry benefits than talk down the meat industry

methode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F3d5b22e0-ed79-11e7-8539-e5d3352c849a.jpg?crop=2250%2C1266%2C0%2C117&resize=685

Cough cough... Bord Bia.

• YFlyer wrote: »
    Cough cough... Bord Bia.
    ? :confused:

• YFlyer wrote: »
    Cough cough... Bord Bia.

If that's a joke re: me being from Bored Bia, i get it;) Don't mean any harm here on this forum BTW, just interested in cooking of all types, not just Vegan/Vegetarian.

But from a marketing perspective, I do believe if the Vegan world wants to "win friends and influence people", it's a better approach to keep it positive. Theres's a lot to sell, and a lot of people to convince, so why not start by publicly talking up the good points? That was all I was saying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Without a doubt it's growing and becoming more mainstream

The problem is that growing up the meat and dairy industry has such a stranglehold over our culture. When you tell people you are off meat and dairy, the 1st things they ask is where do you get protein etc.

Now thanks to the internet there is so much nutritional information out there that people are finally seeing that you don't need meat and dairy to survive and if you do it right, your health improves. I've my own medical tests to prove this.

A lot of people love animals (Just look at the amount of pets out there) so I think if people felt they had the option, they'd avoid having to eat animals. Growing up I had conditioned myself to separate the food I was eating and preferred not to think it was an animal in the 1st place.

I get a lot of abuse and baiting about it, but again this is human psychology to mock what they see as different. The extremists don't help with their antics, I found it's much more helpful to calmly explain the different food options out there and the health benefits that go with it. People are far more receptive when not lectured about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

JTMan wrote: »
    From the article "Fully a quarter of 25- to 34-year-old Americans say they are vegans or vegetarians". Wow! Further evidence that veganism and vegetarianism is fast moving from a niche activity to a massive socio economic trend.?

Yet the vast majority of fine dining restaurants do not have a single vegetarian not a mind vegan option on their standard menu.

Yes, you will normally get a special order but that is mostly something thought up at the last minute and underwhelming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Unearthly wrote: »
    A lot of people love animals (Just look at the amount of pets out there) so I think if people felt they had the option, they'd avoid having to eat animals. G

I became a vegetarian as a teenager (so I was young and naive lol) and didn't eat meat for about 10 years, but we had cats that I fed shop-bought cat food. Looking back at it now I find it strange that I didn't want to eat meat myself but had no problems feeding meat to pets, so I was still supporting the meat industry (not to mention I was ovo-lacto).

My friend's fiancé has become a vegetarian last year, he has two massive dogs that eat more (shop-bought) meat in a day than I would eat in a week. I find it so odd that he goes on about the dignity of animals but he's fine feeding chicken, pork and beef to his dogs. I always wonder why this is ok for so many vegetarians (and probably some vegans)? Sorry, don't want to derail the thread, just something I keep asking myself when I read or hear stuff like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

It’s possibly too much like hard work! Dogs and cats are fine on a vegan diet providing you know what you’re doing - i.e. you have to have far more nutritional information and be prepared to work harder on the animal’s diet than your own, at least at first.

We use commercial vegan cat and dog food supplemented with home-made vegan food (mainly to save money) and, tbh, commercial vegan dog food in particlar is tasteless and boring (if that word could apply).

Space Dog wrote: »
    I became a vegetarian as a teenager (so I was young and naive lol) and didn't eat meat for about 10 years, but we had cats that I fed shop-bought cat food. Looking back at it now I find it strange that I didn't want to eat meat myself but had no problems feeding meat to pets

Hi SD. The cat needs meat - you don't.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

The important need for cats is taurine, rather than meat per se. And then, if they’re outdoor cats, they’ll catch and eat small animals, so you can’t make a cat vegan, only feed it as such in your home. This is an acceptable compromise for a human vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi SD. The cat needs meat - you don't.

People also don't really need to own pets (unless someone depends on a service dog). So you're still contributing to factory farming because you want to own that car or dog for your entertainment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Many people rescue cats and dogs because they would die otherwise, not for entertainment. There's a responsibility you have to take if your species domesticated another and they are dependent on you now. Lab grown meat will take away any ethical quandary for them in years to come.

Space Dog wrote: »
    People also don't really need to own pets (unless someone depends on a service dog). So you're still contributing to factory farming because you want to own that car or dog for your entertainment.

Not really. Housing, feeding, caring for and loving unwanted animals and not farming or eating animals is a step up from the majority's attitude.

? :confused:

Bord Bia were pushing an anti vegan narrative the past two years.

They have softened their attack more recently though.

Leo Varadkar mentioning about cutting back on meat consumption to lower the carbon footprint. There are some vile comments on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not really. Housing, feeding, caring for and loving unwanted animals and not farming or eating animals is a step up from the majority's attitude.

I think you'll find the vast majority of farmers do the same for their stock.

• Advertisement

'Unwanted'

The important need for cats is taurine, rather than meat per se. And then, if they’re outdoor cats, they’ll catch and eat small animals, so you can’t make a cat vegan, only feed it as such in your home. This is an acceptable compromise for a human vegan.

Excerpt from https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/general-faqs:

"Can my dog/cat go vegan?

Generally speaking most dogs and cats can follow a vegan diet. There are several good brands of vegan animal food available across the world, and these can be ordered online or found in some vegan stores. Dogs and particularly cats need an amino acid called taurine, which must be present in their food as it is essential for their wellbeing. This amino acid is found in animal products: however, it is also synthetically created on a commercial scale and is added to good quality vegan animal foods. For more information, check out our blog.

Not all dogs and cats can move to a vegan diet. If your dog or cat is elderly, or unwell or has specific needs then we would always recommend following a qualified veterinarian's advice to ensure the best welfare for them.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

YFlyer wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar mentioning about cutting back on meat consumption to lower the carbon footprint. There are some vile comments on Facebook.

Not really surprising considering the hypocrisy of that announcement tbh. The single biggest way of reducing carbon footprints is too reduce or eliminate use use of fossil fuels and dependence on transport based on same. Dont see members of the goverment etc giving up their Mercedes S class fuel guzzlers and saying no to flying to any of the thousands of junkets around the world....

YFlyer wrote: »
    Bord Bia were pushing an anti vegan narrative the past two years.

They have softened their attack more recently though.

Really? "An anti vegan narrative" lol

More like countering the pure bile and misinformation being directed at farming and the food industry by certain vegan lifestyle promoters imo. I wouldn't expect them to sit on their hands tbh considering some of the rubbish being put out there ..

Leo also said he was also doing it for health reasons but let's not allow that get in the way of whataboutism

The heat Leo got in the Dail about mentioning he eats less meat shows the cultural stranglehold meat and dairy has in our lives that i mentioned before

He referred to carbon footprint - which was the point of the previous comment and my reply. The only whataboutism I see is dragging in something else tbh. I don't give a proverbial whether he takes up eating cactus or weevils to improve his personal health tbh.

There's 'whataboutism' and there's hypocrisy. People pointing this out ain't got anything to with bandwagoning one way or the other.

Quotes

“I am trying to eat less meat both for health reasons and for reasons of climate change.

“But I'd imagine given the amount of travel I do... I'm probably not the best example.”

He then spoke about the future that ministers should start using electric cars or hybrid.

So he is doing it for health reasons and says it also helps climate while also acknowledging there are opportunities to improve. Seems ok to me.

Then you had clowns in the dail who have a vested interest in the farming industry criticising him.

Danny Healy Rae saying vegans have never done a hard works day in their lives because of hunger and he doesn't believe in climate change. Ignorant head in sand stuff

Tbh I don't give a monkeys as I said what Varadkar does for his health or otherwise. The comment related to a previous comment on carbon footprint. End of.

For a rant on Healy Rae and friends, aliens or the pyramids or whatever => thataway

gozunda wrote: »
    Tbh I don't give a monikes as I said what Varadkar does for his health or otherwise. The comment related to a previous comment on carbon footprint. End of.

For a rant on Healy Rae and friends => thataway

Cheers I'll take that as your way of admitting you are wrong

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    Cheers I'll take that as your way of admitting you are wrong

Lol

Advertisement