Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I would almost put the NW and sligo on orange judging by the latest charts

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

goat2 wrote: »
    I am bricking it now, down on the south west coast, cliffs nearby, hoping to come out intact, lost a lot of roof a few yrs ago in a storm, it felt like the house was caving in around me,

I know. trust me, I know! My home is aluminium, roof and all and there is no protection from the sheer din. I flinch automatically..Times in each storm I would love to hide under the bed but it is a divan...Just hunker down, eat a good meal, and wait it out as I will do out here. Candles at the ready etc. "Time and the hour pass through the roughest day.."

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Have we ever had storms of the force expected today before in the month of April? I certainly don't recall any.

Not sure about storms of this force throughout your life but there was the one in 1947 that Sryan mentioned earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I thought that you would know

Exactly when the give take warnings from say Mitzen head to Slyne head we get the take in Galway which is why if we have storm force 11 from Mitzen head to Slyne head we are only yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

I'm supposed to be flying out from Shannon at 9pm this evening just as things will be kicking off.

What are the chances of the flight being cancelled or what is likely to happen in this scenario? First time in this situation and getting panicky now about things. Wondering if its even worthwhile making my way to Shannon for the flight in case it's cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Exactly when the give take warnings from say Mitzen head to Slyne head we get the take in Galway which is why if we have storm force 11 from Mitzen head to Slyne head we are only yellow

it's a watery 11 in the forecast, covering themselves, I presume that the winds will have calmed more by the time that they reach shore than in kerry/clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭endainoz

Funnily enough it seems the aran Islands are on an orange but not Galway county. It clearly makes sense to put them on Clare's warning but I don't think I've seen a warning that's island specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Morby wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be flying out from Shannon at 9pm this evening just as things will be kicking off.

What are the chances of the flight being cancelled or what is likely to happen in this scenario? First time in this situation and getting panicky now about things. Wondering if its even worthwhile making my way to Shannon for the flight in case it's cancelled.

There are people better placed than me to answer but my uneducated view looking at the charts is that there must be a 50% chance of that flight being cancelled or at least severely delayed. Not sure how late flights can take off in such scenarios. The worst will have passed by midnight.

endainoz wrote: »
    Funnily enough it seems the aran Islands are on an orange but not Galway county. It clearly makes sense to put them on Clare's warning but I don't think I've seen a warning that's island specific.

It's plain silly are the saying the winds at Aran will not reach Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Acosta

Not the most ideal evening to be driving down to the Mizen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am always nervous about a storm that could be like a Darwin as they are destructive.
    My biggest fear is comes from storks like that one where the warning for Kilkenny for example got upgraded while it was peak Darwin. It got upgraded to Red. We don’t know what will happen with Hannah, if there will be more upgrades of its danger but it is quite clear people should plan to stay indoors later this evening and tonight in the south of the country.
    It will be getting dark and no point being out in it. If you have plans for tonight, there is always another night. Don’t be taking risks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It's plain silly are the saying the winds at Aran will not reach Galway

The winds will reach Galway but not at the same speeds. Look at the gust charts here; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110024633&postcount=170

There is often a big difference between the coastal islands/headlands and Galway city. We get a lot of shelter from the Burren hills for South Westerlys. I am surprised you are not aware of this.

Let me put it another way...where would you rather be standing at 1am tonight?
    Option A: Inishmore
    Option B: The Claddagh

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Acosta wrote: »
    Not the most ideal evening to be driving down to the Mizen

Get there early today before the storm or wait till after. Don’t be traveling during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

What are we looking at it terms of gusts in South Wicklow? I'm down in a valley so tend to be well sheltered enough but have some very mature trees all around the place. First 'proper' storm I'll see since we moved in!

The winds will reach Galway but not at the same speeds. Look at the gust charts here; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110024633&postcount=170

There is often a big difference between the coastal islands/headlands and Galway city. We get a lot of shelter from the Burren hills for South Westerlys. I am surprised you are not aware of this.

South to South West winds are the ones that cause flooding in Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

South to South West winds are the ones that cause flooding in Galway

We are talking about wind speeds and warnings (Aran Islands v Galway City). I know all about flooding but that is a separate conversation.

Let me put it another way...where would you rather be standing at 1am tonight?
    Option A: Inishmore
    Option B: The Claddagh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork airport TAF showing SW winds gusting up to 52 knots from 3pm and gusting up to 57 knots between 7pm and 9pm.

Shannon TAF forecasting gusts up to 62 knots between 7pm - 9pm.

Knock and Dublin showing non event.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What are we looking at it terms of gusts in South Wicklow? I'm down in a valley so tend to be well sheltered enough but have some very mature trees all around the place. First 'proper' storm I'll see since we moved in!

Very little,maybe 90 kph for a spell, bit of blossom and a few twigs strewn about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Very little,maybe 90 kph for a spell, bit of blossom and a few twigs strewn about

That's Katrina levels of damage for the east cost:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    That's Katrina levels of damage for the east cost:D

Good point. Pink alert for slippery footpaths, danger to life and limb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Have we ever had storms of the force expected today before in the month of April? I certainly don't recall any.

When i was a young lad i vaguely remember a big storm in april back around 86 0r 87 .It carried a few old sheds but often heard that a storm in april can be leathal .What time should we expect to be indoors from it in north kerry ,I know the warning say 4 pm but that might be for south coast off cork??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Perhaps orange is about right.
    The 06z gfs has stayed consistent the last 24hrs
    As the storm has so much media coverage already and is hitting the southwest mainly I think red might be a tad too much

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Will it be a red or orange warning south Dublin by the coast please?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ICON 06Z showing Tracking much further N bringing stronger winds to more areas especially up the West coast, Tipp , Waterford and looks like Wicklow getting some strong winds . High ground in Limerick , mid and N Cork could get some very strong winds also I would reckon.

anim_mit8.gif

anim_jvc3.gif

iconeu_uk1-52-26-0_fgq8.png

Max Gusts Chart enlarged.

ysShtln.png?1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

torres9kop wrote: »
    Will it be a red or orange warning south Dublin by the coast please?

Neither....well, not red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No warning anymore for SW !!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Being revised/updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Probably being updated.

Galway now included in Orange warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Can only be red. No need to change it other wise

Advertisement