Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

2-3 Flashes and loud claps in SE Tipp about 45 mins ago,raining since.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice line of convection running the length of the country in the brightest warmest middle third and also in a convergence zone.

GAUetVC.png

nmm_uk1-3-6-4_qsx2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Nice line of convection running the length of the country in the brightest warmest middle third and also in a convergence zone.

GAUetVC.

nmm_uk1-3-6-4_qsx2

I could see nice convection building up earlier and had a quick look at the radar so went to a good viewing spot.
    Seen 3 distance flashes followed by 3 low rumbles then spotted a nice little funnel cloud which kept changing shape and hung around for nearly 20 minutes.
    482217.jpg
    The cell before the funnel cloud formed to the left of the rain. 482218.jpg

482219.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fantastic pictures lolie, great representation of the radar returns. Great clear shot of the funnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Fantastic pictures lolie, great representation of the radar returns. Great clear shot of the funnel.

Thanks, judging by the radar I'd say i was nearly 20km from the funnel cloud.
    I'll upload a video and put a post in the picture forum.

I'm nearly full sure another smaller funnel cloud formed a few minutes before in the middle of the rain falling from that cell.
    Hard to tell for sure through the rain but i think it was one.
    482228.jpg

• Advertisement

Parameters present for thunderstorms tomorrow. Could be fairly widespread too. Passage of a trough with a cold pool of air aloft. Diurnal heating and convergence with reasonable LLS , limited amount of DLS bu some available. Clouds bubbling up in the morning moving in From the Western side of the country and locally heavy showers in the early afternoon , possibly lasting well into the evening as the move to the East of the country.

PtXYw2l.png

s61Tuvy.png

ixwR6xQ.png

IaROs7J.png

pR75REw.png

XZSDQb6.png

xYSZINw.png

I0bh3Cq.gif

anim_mhs7.gif

anim_sqs2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Looks like a line of showers coming from naas heading to Dublin wonder if that will kick off like other day. Some convection out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Moderate shower just over here. Loud rumble atm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very heavy rain and hail in Kildare now

Few rumbles of thunder too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

We just got hammered with hailstones and thunder in Greystones.

Incredible weather for June.

Bright and sunny now near Tralee at 14.8C with big clouds about , convection growing and moving across the country.

8n2EzL9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It's just gone dark as dusk in Kilpedder, Wicklow - with hail, thunder and lightening. Very eery light and hail is really pelting down.

Would this be a bit mad for June?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Few rumbles of thunder there coming from the north side of cork city.

Has been sunshine with heavy showers all day. Hailstones earlier too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

jackrussel wrote: »
    Few rumbles of thunder there coming from the north side of cork city.

Has been sunshine with heavy showers all day. Hailstones earlier too.

Just saw it on the map but didn't hear anything in the city centre.

Hopefully we might get some more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That shower band bubbling up and headed for Dublin from the southwest may provide a few sparks in the next couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

was driving on the n11 an hour ago heavy rain and hail seen 2 strikes of lightning hit the ground behind applegeeen at cullenmore

Skies are alive here near Naas. Cell trying fire

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Seems like the Big Smoke is in line for a hit according to the Rainfall Radar.
    Prob won't happen though :(

• Advertisement

Gusty winds and hail to beat the band here in Kildare

Not firing up.

Getting dark Dublin 22 camera at the ready. Hopefully a repeat of other day

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

On its way

Some sferics elsewhere around the country in the last few minutes.

Nada for that band in to Dublin as of yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Aircraft departing Dublin are making immediate sharp right turns, presumably to avoid the incoming weather

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

Thought I heard thunder and few minutes ago. Heavy rain for about the last half hour in D8. Plus got really dark too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Was that thunder just now in Dublin 22?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Thunder in Lucan?

• Advertisement

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Was that thunder just now in Dublin 22?

Have not heard anything been sitting out the back all i can hear is aeroplanes

Advertisement