Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Nothing too dramatic in cork city. Had one shower earlier on that didn't last very long and when the sun is out it's warm but the wind is strong and cold and it's mostly cloudy so a cool day in comparison to the others. Not very wet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Lol. The absolute misery, bone-soaking misery of Irish weather has few equals. At the end of all this and one still won't get a real summer, will be autumn and then winter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Today wouldn't be out of place in mid December, awful day with constant heavy showers piling in and cold enough for a winter jacket. Rain has barely stopped here since last Thursday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Its amazing how cold it can still feel in the wind and its nearly June...our cold seems to arrive in spring and last all the way into May these days...only in ireland sure:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 27/05/19
    Nlkpnr1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The_Brood wrote: »
    Lol. The absolute misery, bone-soaking misery of Irish weather has few equals. At the end of all this and one still won't get a real summer, will be autumn and then winter again.

You know that for a fact do you?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I seem to recall always having nice May/Early June and then it goes back to blustery nonsense for the rest of "summer". It's unusual that we've no nice weather forecast for a while and May has been sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Nice double rainbow in south Wicklow just now in between showers

8138a3dd788b45276d228227da48cc0f.jpg

And behind me,next shower incoming looking NNW towards the mountains

4ee741550541fa16b97f2078d278ba0b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭acequion

But sure he / she is completely right!! :rolleyes: The Irish climate is hugely exasperating, despite some stunning weather at times,and often unpredictable times.

Don't tell me the denial brigade are out already!! Great craic yet on this thread methinks :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we're back lighting fires again, my dad was really feeling the cold today so we'll probably light the fire for next few nights, untill we get warmer and more seasonal temperatures again over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonzo wrote: »
    we're back lighting fires again, my dad was really feeling the cold today so we'll probably light the fire for next few nights, untill we get warmer and more seasonal temperatures again over the weekend.

Yes, I have to admit that today has been unseasonably chilly and also showery. Those of us in Cork anyway had been getting reasonably pleasant weather up to this but it seems that run has come to an end, at least for the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Max in Arklow today in the sunshine up until 2 was 16.6c which didn't feel to bad at all
    Down to 11 by 4 when all the showers and thunder came
    10c currently, so not too bad

Yes, I have to admit that today has been unseasonably chilly and also showery. Those of us in Cork anyway had been getting reasonably pleasant weather up to this but it seems that run has come to an end, at least for the next few days.

And us next door in Kerry. But some seriously crap weather has now arrived.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cold showery day in Castlebar. Temperatures a bit better Wednesday Thursday and Friday but miserable damp cloudy weather on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s cold tonight. May has been on the cool side breezy and but bright in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please cheer up! Coming here these days is ..... The last few days have been exhilarating and variable. wild winds and sudden sharp deluges. Quite lovely..

Now calm and clear; was out with all five cats early, but got caught coming home by midges and hay fever.... was later than I meant at half past five.
    ah well

Skylark and cuckoo soon after 4 am ..lanes a riot of flowers... perfect early summer morning.

Glorious pale gold sunrise.... fresh and cool.. light shining and growing over the mountains.

Always beauty. And the rain has helped the garden. Whatever the weather; grand

Cold in Dublin today, especially in the breeze!
    Highs of 14c for the bank holiday weekend. Any signs of any summer weather on the way?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Highs of 14c for the bank holiday weekend. Any signs of any summer weather on the way?

There might be a chance second half of June, the next few weeks looks fairly cool and unsettled with some milder days in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Remember being scorched out of it at Bloom last June bank holiday

Now I'm beginning to get a bit concerned about Summer 2019

lawred2 wrote: »
    Remember being scorched out of it at Bloom last June bank holiday

Now I'm beginning to get a bit concerned about Summer 2019

Yep I remember being at a BBQ and getting bitten all over my legs from sitting out all evening as it was so warm. The window for good weather will be over before we know it!

• Advertisement

This time last year was fantastic, we already had several weeks of 20C+ temperatures at this stage. This year I'm still lighting fires and wearing winter clothes, couldn't be more different than last year. This was a particulary poor May, especially in the east with very cool temperatures most of the time.

The only thing that saved this May from being a total write off was the 2 weeks of dry weather during the second and third week.

This time last year was fantastic, we already had several weeks of 20C+ temperatures at this stage. This year I'm still lighting fires and wearing winter clothes, couldn't be more different than last year. This was a particulary poor May, especially in the east with very cool temperatures most of the time.

The only thing that saved this May from being a total write off was the 2 weeks of dry weather during the second and third week.

And also the fact that we,in the normally drizzly south west, got some stunning bright weather and weeks where we forgot what an umbrella was for.:) For once we fared a lot better than the east. But now normal service seems to be resuming, though today is nice in between showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks to google i have solved the mystery of why when the pollen count is low, I am hiding inside with doors and curtains closed as any contact with the outside destroys eyes and nose etc etc. worst it has ever been.

apparently it is because the CFS/ME has felled my immune system which I knew, and that causes hay fever even when the pollen count is low.ie overreaction to even low counts.

Ah well< i shall revert to vampire! Last time I was outside it was warm and bright out here... ran out of Piriton last week.. will wa;lk in the very early hours again, which are so lovely.

Calm and dry too.. west mayo offshore.. but I love the variety...

just seen the forcast from Met Eireann and tomorrow looks like a washout for most of us with rain lasting from daybreak to well into tomorrow evening. The South-east looks like best chance of escaping with some drier conditions.

Poor forecast into the weekend too with rain on and off throughout the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

just seen the forcast from Met Eireann and tomorrow looks like a washout for most of us with rain lasting from daybreak to well into tomorrow evening. The South-east looks like best chance of escaping with some drier conditions.

We need a bit of rain down here in Cork, it has been exceptionally dry lately. 32mm for the month vs. 63mm avg. In fact it has been the third driest month in 3.5 years. Only June 2018 and April 2017 were drier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The forecast on their website seems tolerable enough, basically occasional outbreaks of rain with good dry spells in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rain in Sligo town 29mm for the month

Markree has stretched its lead on us and is now 57.4mm

Every month is nearly always the opposite to this but 3 days of thundery showers in Collooney area have made a big difference. These thunderbursts dont tend to last as long in coastal areas where the air tends to be less stagnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The Month of May here has been incredibly dry. Grass growth way back and soil moisture levels very low. This despite some recent heavy downpours...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not a bad evening if rather cool. Outlook is extremely grim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

wet in cork city for the first time in quite a while, don't mind it though because its night time :)

Advertisement