Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weather Warning Discussion/Debate Thread

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

kerry had a red warning with Eunice ... nothing out of the ordinary .... yellow warning now and the roof is about to come off ... ME are a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I seen in a tweet that it was Met UK that named the storm, Met Éireann didn't seem to bother

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Was there an orange weather warning yesterday? The weather was horrific. I didn't hear anything about it on Saturday when listening to the radio yet earlier in the week all we heard was non stop about Eunice. Yet Friday was an orange warning and wasn't even noticably worse than usual apart from maybe 30 minutes with above average gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

It seems like Franklin hit at its strongest possible level but Eunice did not? The warnings for Eunice were earlier, and with red potential, the media hyped them. They were higher because it had potential to be so much worse than it was.

Forecasting anything is not exact, especially weather hanging out here in the Atlantic as our little island does. 😉 I know little of the science and appreciate all those who try predict the weather's whims.

I'm glad the more widespread damage Eunice could have done did not materialise, and hope people effected by both storms can recover quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭OldRio

I think Met Eireann left an intern in charge this weekend. 'Look after the office it'll be grand'

I've always been on Met Eireann side in the past but Storm Franklin has put paid to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I think the whole warning system needs to be re-evaluated. I wouldn't be surprised if Met E were happy to stick to an Orange warning for Eunice but pressure from the media and the daftness being circulated left them with no option but to pacify the crowd and go Red. That's no way for scientists to act.

Ireland is a small country. There is no need for orange or red warnings to be issued any more than 12 hours in advance. Who will get caught out because they only got 12 hours notice of a storm? No one. And as for schools closing, the teachers only need 5 minutes notice when it comes to getting a day off....

Advertisement