Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weather in the Media: TV, TABLOIDS etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Someone should file a lawsuit against the Daily Express for all this, not sure what they could do exactly but with all the nonsense they post there must be some ammunition in there for loss of earnings or something along those lines. Its the only way these stories would ever be stopped, the Guardian have already shown that proving the forecasters quoted in the articles don't exist isn't enough to stop them publishing but an expensive lawsuit might make them think twice. Any volunteers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Harps wrote: »
    Someone should file a lawsuit against the Daily Express for all this, not sure what they could do exactly but with all the nonsense they post there must be some ammunition in there for loss of earnings or something along those lines. Its the only way these stories would ever be stopped, the Guardian have already shown that proving the forecasters quoted in the articles don't exist isn't enough to stop them publishing but an expensive lawsuit might make them think twice. Any volunteers :pac:

I pledge 10 euro :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

In the Indo today "warmest, wettest and windiest October on record".

Wrong on all counts I guess?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Surely it was the warmest tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yes, wrong on all accounts. Wetter, warmer and windier than average but not on record.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    Surely it was the warmest tho.

October 2013 was milder.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

October 2013 was milder.

That on hunch or on record?

Loughc wrote: »
    That on hunch or on record?
    Despite above average monthly mean temperatures, stations reported milder conditions in October 2013.

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=280

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

For my own back yard (literally! :)). October 2013 mean 12.0c. October 2014 mean 11.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Typhoon Nuri Set to Explode into Largest Storm in Bering Sea's History
    Typhoon Nuri, that massive storm in the Pacific that peaked over the weekend with winds topping 180 miles an hour, is now expected to develop into something on an even bigger scale: a storm so massive, it has the potential to become the biggest storm in its region’s recorded history.

Although right now, Nuri is clocking in as a category 1 hurricane, it hit category 5 just a few days ago. Now models are showing that a trough will pick up the hurricane within a day or two as it works its way northward. This will create conditions ideal for something labeled by meteorologists as “bombogenesis” – which means two things: the central pressure will drop more than 24 millibars in 24 hours, and meteorogists are basically five-year-old when it comes to giving things awesome names.

To someone that doesn’t know the significance of a storm dropping that much in such short period of time, the name bombogenesis should give you a pretty decent idea of what happens.  As Nuri moves northward from east of Japan into the northern Pacific and the Bering Sea, it will reach much colder conditions pushing down from the Arctic. According to Jason Samenow, Capital Weather’s chief meteorologist, everything is lining up for Nuri to become the strongest storm in the area’s recorded history. “Typhoon Nuri,” he wrote in an article in the Washington Times, “is on the brink of an explosive transformation and rejuvenation unlike anything I’ve seen in all my years of storm watching.” Nuri’s central pressure is expected to plummet an astounding 58 millibars – bombogenesis at its very best. “As this tropical storm transitions into an extratropical (or temperate) storm,” Samenow continued, “it is literally going to go haywire.”

The Bering Sea is no stranger to storms of titanic proportions. Although the lowest extratropical pressure ever recorded for any location occurred in the North Atlantic in 1993, the Bering Sea is infamous for the ferocity of its storms.

Andrew Freeman, Mashable’s Senior Climate Reporter, is expecting the storm to set records, as well. “Consider if the storm’s minimum central pressure bottoms out below 925 millibars — as is currently forecast by most computer models — it would set a record for the lowest pressure recorded in the Bering Sea,” he wrote. The current record holder is 925 millibars, set in October 1977 in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.

The storm’s evolution is influenced by the temperature difference between the tropics and the Arctic. As it charges northward toward the Bering Sea, models are picking up high altitude wind speeds over well over 200 miles an hour. Looking at models of temperatures at 5000 feet, the temperature drops nearly 40 degrees in a very short distance, which is the cause of the steep drop in central pressure. As the storm bears towards the Aleutians and Alaska, forecasters are calling for waves in excess of 50 feet, and potentially much higher in the Bering Strait.

http://www.theinertia.com/environment/typhoon-nuri-set-to-explode-into-largest-storm-in-bering-seas-history/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

DANGEROUS SUNSPOT ALIGNING WITH EARTH AGAIN

A massive sunspot capable of knocking out communications and power is once again aligning with Earth.

Renamed Active Region 12192, because it is a sunspot that has come around a second time, it is due to come into alignment in a few days.

Sunspots of this kind spew solar flares that can create what’s called a coronal mass ejection, or CME, that flings hot bursts of millions of tons of highly charged particles into space at 4 million miles per hour.

If the sunspot is aimed at Earth at the time of the CME, it would interfere enough with the magnetic poles to seriously damage satellites and electrical power grids. The damage could include all unprotected electronics and automated control systems that operate life-sustaining critical infrastructures.

In addition to the electrical grid, the critical infrastructures include communications, transportation, food and water deliveries, oil and natural gas pipelines, banking and financial systems, emergency systems and satellites.

The last time AR 12192 aimed its flares toward Earth was in October and early November. Even though numerous flares ejected from the surface, none included CMEs. At the time, the flares skirted Earth and there was no direct hit, NASA scientists say.

AR 12192 then rotated out of view but now is coming back again. A few weeks ago, AR 12192 was large enough to fit 14 Earths into it..........

http://www.wnd.com/2014/11/dangerous-sunspot-aligning-with-earth-again/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

Anyone have thoughts I this??? I am assuming its rubbish

Don't slaughter me for posting :)

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-weather-big-freeze-set-4800490

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

paddy ocon wrote: »

Yes.........its rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

paddy ocon wrote: »

It's rubbish. I'll get the blood bucket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

James Madden isn't a professional forecaster, he's just some random guy who writes up apocalyptic weather stories on his personal website every week and tabloids run his 'forecasts' as front page headlines. It'd be nice if there was some sort of body that would withhold a standard over these made up stories but as we know tabloids can print anything and everything with no repercussions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

I read it for the lols. Then I clicked on their keith barry prediction story, they had the 3 severe winters of 47,63 and 09/10 listed. Their summary of 09/10 Winter was well written...they said temperatures reached a frosty -5 lol. Honestly who writes these articles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Harps wrote: »
    James Madden isn't a professional forecaster, he's just some random guy who writes up apocalyptic weather stories on his personal website every week and tabloids run his 'forecasts' as front page headlines. It'd be nice if there was some sort of body that would withhold a standard over these made up stories but as we know tabloids can print anything and everything with no repercussions

Yes I think even the most gullible are copping on to this type of trash forecasting. Wasn't he predicting snowmaggedon back for early November? The reality of the charts for the next 10 days doen not lie. It isn't good for coldies. However, hints and subtle nods and winks from other sources of pattern change after Christmas. I remain unconvinced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

Madden is a gom,but those that buy his nonsense scripts are much bigger goms

That said,didn't mt cranium change his winter forecast to include a deeper cold and snow for mid December both here and England?

Well that doesn't raise confidence in the rest of his forecast either does it? Unless he meant what we're having now and the actual outlook for the next week which he obviously didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Read the Indo this morning. On about that James Madden guy. What has happened to that newspaper? No better than the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

stopped buying that rag when it went to over 2 euro. seriously gone down hill in the last couple of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Agree with all that has been said above but have a look at some of the snow threads from during the week here smd you'll see many respected posters getting it badly wrong. Still at least they aren't charging to get it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

I wonder what happened to the Indo. Was is Tony O'Reilly being ousted from the helm? Their standards have dropped to nothing more than disgusting, and it's not only the reporting of the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

last i read on their political side of things its gone down hill as well, i loved their weekend supplement pages, now its shocking.

so there using some guy that is sprouting crap about the weather, not shocking really

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I really cannot believe that the Irish Independent has run with the attached drivel from James Madden. Front page of the Sunday Independent website today, Sunday 14th December, 2014.

Thank you Sunday Independent, endless questions of "when is the snow coming Daddy?" from now until St Patrick's Day. Infuriating, we don't live in Sweden. :mad::mad:

D

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/big-freeze-perfect-arctic-storm-heading-our-way-30834280.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32 andrioolis

i've seen this article before somewhere
    if i will need to choose who to believe i would go with M.T. Cranium predictions as he at least is not predicting things that may (less than 20% i think) happen.

but as a snow lover i would like to believe independent.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just saw the Indo top story myself, disgracefully lazy stuff, worse than the Express at this stage.

Evelyn is good about calling out this sort of nonsense, hopefully she'll get in touch with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Just saw the Indo top story myself, disgracefully lazy stuff, worse than the Express at this stage.

Evelyn is good about calling out this sort of nonsense, hopefully she'll get in touch with them

Agreed this is nothing more than clickbait from the Sindo. They are using the Daily Mail and Express(Rising house prices, Madeline McCann/Princess Diana and what they term 'Extreme' Weather') as their model to sell advertising.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Advertisement