Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying in area with high crime rates

• 10-04-2019 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭

I am just looking for some thoughts on buying in areas known to have a reputation for crime.

Due to my limited budget, I've been looking at some houses in areas that some may consider less desirable. This is mainly due to some higher profile news articles that appear from time to time.

Generally these crimes are related to gangs whereby there are either drug seizures or violent crimes between gang members. My thinking is that these guys are keeping to themselves and I've nothing to worry about, but everyone I speak to is telling me to avoid these areas altogether and that I'm foolish for thinking of buying there.

I've actually checked the crime rate in these areas per capita based on the crime figures from a few years ago and the crime rate isn't that much higher than a more affluent area, but violent and gang related crime are significantly higher.

Has anyone any experience in purchasing properties in these kind of areas, or any advice into research I should be doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

VonLuck wrote: »
    I am just looking for some thoughts on buying in areas known to have a reputation for crime.

Due to my limited budget, I've been looking at some houses in areas that some may consider less desirable. This is mainly due to some higher profile news articles that appear from time to time.

Generally these crimes are related to gangs whereby there are either drug seizures or violent crimes between gang members. My thinking is that these guys are keeping to themselves and I've nothing to worry about, but everyone I speak to is telling me to avoid these areas altogether and that I'm foolish for thinking of buying there.

I've actually checked the crime rate in these areas per capita based on the crime figures from a few years ago and the crime rate isn't that much higher than a more affluent area, but violent and gang related crime are significantly higher.

Has anyone any experience in purchasing properties in these kind of areas, or any advice into research I should be doing?

The big headline crimes aren't what I'd be worrying about (much).

It's the low level anti social behaviour that's usually endemic in those areas that would put me off. I'd be trying to suss out what it's like on a day to day basis on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't believe the official crime figures, and I wouldn't use them to make any decisions. If you're not from there and know the area I would stay well away.

Is a smaller property or a doer-upper in a slightly better area an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The exact location (street/estate) rather than the area is what's important.

I used to live about 200m from where there were shootings and was happy leaving the kids to play outside all day.

Burglary-wise, it's the nice looking houses in expensive areas that tend to get targetted. Or maybe I was just lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the problem is the anti social behaviour from younger teenagers , the drug addicts that inevitably surround drug dealers, if they go rouge ala that estate in moyross and run everyone else out of the area etc...

you say you cant afford a better area, living in an area like that, your house and car insurance can be double the money , some tradespeople / takeaway delivery people won't come to your house, busses often cancelled on halloween or during other busy times that schools are off. Paying more for locks, security systems, possibly window bars or other security tools.

There are extra costs that get in the way of a cheaper house.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You get insurance you have your house secure, nothing more you can do. A career burglar would be far more likely to target a house in Foxrock than Finglas.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

It's the low level anti social behaviour that's usually endemic in those areas that would put me off. I'd be trying to suss out what it's like on a day to day basis on the ground.

This is pretty much the issue you're dealing with OP. You'll never get anyone burning your car out, shooting up your house or threatening to kill you unless you invite such people to your doorstep.

What you will get is scumbags that live in the area that never worked a day in their lives, having late night parties, riding around on scrambler bikes, congregating near houses making loads of noise, burning wheelie bins at halloween etc.

However, as has also been suggested above, even bad areas have nice sections within them. I live in a rough estate, and my street has quietened a fair bit as time has moved on (and people have grown up) but i still see hassle passing by as the new generation of knackers are congregating somewhere else in the same estate.

You really have to know an area properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

This is very accurate. Do as advised and also visit the area of a weekend night, to get a good sense of it. Especially when the weather is fair - you'll get an idea about who's hanging around, if anyone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Well, it's definitely better to buy in a bad area than to buy in a OK area which then turns bad. At least you buy cheap and there's a good chance Ireland will sort out many of these issues in the years to come. Many people have bought into reasonably good estates paying big buck and these estates then turned bad after years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Lumen wrote: »
    Burglary-wise, it's the nice looking houses in expensive areas that tend to get targetted. Or maybe I was just lucky.
    . A career burglar would be far more likely to target a house in Foxrock than Finglas.
    Is there any stat evidence of this?
    I always felt from reading through papers it was the opposite. So many reports I've seen the burglar lived very near in an area with a higher crime rate.
    I'm sure CSO figures tell the story.

I'd feel much more secure in a house in a nice area than a 'bad' area.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Is there any stat evidence of this?
    I always felt from reading through papers it was the opposite. So many reports I've seen the burglar lived very near in an area with a higher crime rate.
    I'm sure CSO figures tell the story.

I'd feel much more secure in a house in a nice area than a 'bad' area.

+1

you tend to get 3 types of burglars

1) opportunists / addicts - always sh*t on their own doorstep because they don't have the funds to go anywhere else, will gladly rob your house for a few quid for heroin or cans.

2) Professional burglars - cars stolen to order, high end jewellery etc, doesn't matter where your gaf is, if they want the thing you have, theyre coming for it.

3) Our 'nomadic' community - mostly target rural ireland , but do urban estates too, usually steal things made of metal, tools, etc... will often go to an area and go door to door posing as offering some sort of service for a few days, do a spate of robberies in one area and leave then. No way to predict / stop / mitigate, but they probably wouldnt chance a really poor area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You get insurance you have your house secure, nothing more you can do. A career burglar would be far more likely to target a house in Foxrock than Finglas.

They're a rare and organised criminal that will target the homes of business owners with cash or people with desirable cars for foreign resale. Your common, opportunistic scumbag will stick to the comfort zone of familiar surroundings.

OP, I'd avoid unless there's solid evidence of gentrification. There's always the chance that you'll end up rearing kids in the area as so many people have learnt over the last fifteen years. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you intend to have kids, be aware that they'll become friends with people whose idea of fun is stealing from a store. As they may have no aspirations of life, they won't care if they spend some time in jail.
    Less desirable to raise kids, less desirable to park your car, or less desirable to buy?

If you're a nice person, don't buy in a bad area. If you've lived in a rough area, you may be okay, but do you want your kids dealt the same hand that you got?

As said, some less desirable areas won't get food delivered to your house and lack transportation. Lack of public transportation may make your car a viable joyriding target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Comments on low level crime and anti social behaviour are spot on.
    I lived somewhere like that to get a deposit up. It was two years of hell. I must have been one of the few to go to work everyday. I dreaded summer. I prayed for rain to keep the fu*kers indoors. It was hell for me. Some of the stuff I witnessed, the waste of life(as in trying to do something worthwhile) was shocking.
    The residents seemed to have a great time though. Don't know where they got the money for drink...
    Don't do it without a get out plan. I had one but it very nearly broke me as I was close to losing it with some of the teenagers by the time I got out.
    Bad bad memories

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

In parts of Dublin there have been shootings for nearly two years. If you are in these areas there is a chance of getting shot. They do hit the wrong person every now and then. They opened fire outside a school last week.

The real issue is anti social behaviour. This you will deal with day in & day out. Even quiet areas can have trouble. There are several gangs travelling the DART at weekends. Young teenagers but 30 or 40 of them. They get off in random areas & cause havoc. Killester, Clontarf, Raheny, Kilbarrack, Bayside, portmarnock, Malahide, etc. They leave behind smashed car windows, wing mirrors. They mug other teenagers. They have beaten some so badly they had a few days in hospital. These are young teenagers. They will be a bigger thorn in your side than the "real criminal's"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In parts of Dublin there have been shootings for nearly two years. If you are in these areas there is a chance of getting shot. They do hit the wrong person every now and then. They opened fire outside a school last week.

The real issue is anti social behaviour. This you will deal with day in & day out. Even quiet areas can have trouble. There are several gangs travelling the DART at weekends. Young teenagers but 30 or 40 of them. They get off in random areas & cause havoc. Killester, Clontarf, Raheny, Kilbarrack, Bayside, portmarnock, Malahide, etc. They leave behind smashed car windows, wing mirrors. They mug other teenagers. They have beaten some so badly they had a few days in hospital. These are young teenagers. They will be a bigger thorn in your side than the "real criminal's"

The question posed by the op is an interesting one.
    With the way house prices are at the moment people are looking at area's that would not have looked at before as they are in their budget. If you pick an area and you are unsure have a look on here and she is threads about it. Also visit the area a few times at different times of the day to get a full feeling for the place. A place might look nice and quite at 11 in the morning but come afternoon goes mad when the night owls wake up or what is it like on a weekend v weekday.
    With crime the post above about the type of burglar is spot on. Look at the local papers or chat to your potential neighbors to see what the area is like. But for one done go in with your eyes closed simply as the area is within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP whats wrong with renting where you would like to live ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I’d be very cautious about buying in a high crime rate area, make sure to do your checks... drive and walk around the area on weekends, sounds mad but trust me you see a lot of things you usually wouldn’t see during the day. That way it will give a good insight into the area and people hanging around it etc.

My cousin recently bought in an area that not the worst for crime rates etc but his head is totally done in with little scumbags driving scramblers in the park beside him non stop. He works shift and is home during the day and he can’t get a rest at all. To make matters worse he just heard the council bought next door to him hopefully he gets good neighbours. It’s a risk buying anywhere but best thing is do your research and research again and again as it’s the biggest purchase you will ever make in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

bri007 wrote: »
    I’d be very cautious about buying in a high crime rate area, make sure to do your checks... drive and walk around the area on weekends, sounds mad but trust me you see a lot of things you usually wouldn’t see during the day. That way it will give a good insight into the area and people hanging around it etc.

My cousin recently bought in an area that not the worst for crime rates etc but his head is totally done in with little scumbags driving scramblers in the park beside him non stop. He works shift and is home during the day and he can’t get a rest at all. To make matters worse he just heard the council bought next door to him hopefully he gets good neighbours. It’s a risk buying anywhere but best thing is do your research and research again and again as it’s the biggest purchase you will ever make in life.
    Feel sorry for him. Very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Yeah he’s bit depressed at the moment over it all, on medication to sleep and is now considering moving closer to his job and renting a room. I can’t see him living it in for much longer as his mental health is suffering a lot since he moved in. Unless he gets moved off shift which in his line of work is near impossible but then again they could very well be driving those bikes in the evenings as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Comments on low level crime and anti social behaviour are spot on.
    I lived somewhere like that to get a deposit up. It was two years of hell. I must have been one of the few to go to work everyday. I dreaded summer. I prayed for rain to keep the fu*kers indoors. It was hell for me. Some of the stuff I witnessed, the waste of life(as in trying to do something worthwhile) was shocking.
    The residents seemed to have a great time though. Don't know where they got the money for drink...
    Don't do it without a get out plan. I had one but it very nearly broke me as I was close to losing it with some of the teenagers by the time I got out.
    Bad bad memories

I can agree with this. You go in thinking you know it is a bad estate but you don't have family to worry about and know how to keep your head down so how bad could it be but the anti-social elements are in yer face 24x7 and you are in a constantly wary state because the incidents of depravity you see on your door step although intermittent don't leave you. If I were put in the position to choose again I'd choose a long commute over living in a bad estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

best maybe sell to the council might even make a few quid and move on .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

And there I was arguing with another user a few weeks ago that there's a line you wanna draw with an area riddled with anti-social behaviour and he thought I was entitled and crazy :rolleyes:

If you're not having a background in a 'bad' area I wouldn't do it. People that want to cause havoc can smell the weak link that can't fight back or a blow-in from a mile away. If you work chances are that you'll spend your time worrying that your property might have been vandalized. If they pick you they can make you fear for your life.

The way I see it is that you're about to make the biggest financial commitment of your life and chances are you won't be able to move for quite a while. You really want to get that one right. Of course there's always a variable with bad neighbours but if you can't see yourself there for a few years if things go bad, don't do it. When you already know there's a good chance of trouble, personally I'd run a mile and look in a more remote setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Yeah he’s bit depressed at the moment over it all, on medication to sleep and is now considering moving closer to his job and renting a room. I can’t see him living it in for much longer as his mental health is suffering a lot since he moved in. Unless he gets moved off shift which in his line of work is near impossible but then again they could very well be driving those bikes in the evenings as well!
    Discriminated against by scum and their likes which never probably did an honest days work in their government paid for lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

My experience is that it's not the violent drug dealers you have to worry about initially, it's the children who KNOW their fathers/brothers/uncles are violent drug dealers, so if you find yourself with a big gang of unruly kids outside your house most evenings be prepared to be threatened and squared up to by children with absolutely no fear of authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Areas strewn with rubbish, kids on scramblers during day time etc are to be avoided (shows nobody gives a **** about their surroundings and are prepared to let kids run wild, which will cause untold hassle during long summer evenings when you want to walk to the shop/bus stop/walk the dog etc) unless you know for sure that the particular bit of the area you're interested in is quiet and settled.

Guards are generally useless in these areas and don't want to be stationed there themselves for the most part, and it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You might buy very cheap but you will never be able to move as even the neighbours are not the worst, they will invariably have no money to buy your house and outsiders with money won't want it

Areas like that are very clannish too, they will Rob a blow in ahead of those who they view as kin

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

This country SUCKS ,
    You work your partner or wife works , you get out of your bed every morning to go to work ( great country) your neighbors meanwhile are casing out your house
    (why)plenty of time on their hands ,( excuse me but you have to pay me and my what ever to get out of bed), who the **** are you to ask me where I get my extra money for drinks drugs and the more havoc I create the ****ing better because I will just blame it on bad parenting (what a ****ing joke of a country)Too late for me but I WOULD RECOMMEND each and everyone with a honest work ability to leave this country .

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LittleNicky86

Hi

I have lived in 3 areas in Dublin, 1 that would be considered a sought after area and the other 2 what you are describing. Given the choice I would pick the 2 undesirable locations any day. I loved my underside areas as they had all those little local shops I love still. You know the ones dave the butcher... Alan in the DIY shop. Also those places usually have a community feel still. Everyone knows everyone and they are down to earth. Never had an ounce of mither. Everyone kept themselves to themselves like

In the sought after area there was non of that and the neighbours are all judgy.

I can't afford to buy in Dublin even in the less good areas so need to leave full stop. But if I could offord to stay in Dublin I would buy in the so called crime areas without hesitation.

But I suppose it comes down to each person. I came from that sort of area in England so I know how to behave and get on with all types of comunities which is important.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Hi

I have lived in 3 areas in Dublin, 1 that would be considered a sought after area and the other 2 what you are describing. Given the choice I would pick the 2 undesirable locations any day. I loved my underside areas as they had all those little local shops I love still. You know the ones dave the butcher... Alan in the DIY shop. Also those places usually have a community feel still. Everyone knows everyone and they are down to earth. Never had an ounce of mither. Everyone kept themselves to themselves like

In the sought after area there was non of that and the neighbours are all judgy.

I can't afford to buy in Dublin even in the less good areas so need to leave full stop. But if I could offord to stay in Dublin I would buy in the so called crime areas without hesitation.

But I suppose it comes down to each person. I came from that sort of area in England so I know how to behave and get on with all types of comunities which is important.

Hope that helps

You're living in a fantasy land my friend, but to each their own

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Hi

Hope that helps

I lived in Fettercairn in Tallaght for 9 years. 9 years of putting up with knackers and scumbags. And I grew up in Clondalkin so I'm no stranger to council estates. And it's not like they were picking on our home for a chase or anything. I gave more than one little bastard a hiding so they knew if I saw them I'd catch them and give it to them.

It came to a head when my daughter hadn't played out on the road for a full 5 months for fear of getting a bang of a car or motorbike getting rallied day and night on the road. We threw the keys back at the council. Best thing we ever done.

Advertisement