Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here comes the Judge, my 69 GTO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

I’m running out of things I can be doing on the GTO now whilst I await the engine build, decided to make up the new hard brake lines for the rear, I have a length of 3/16” stainless steel brake line.

IMG_8386_zpsdqu1jik8.jpg

A cutter

IMG_8387_zpsjlni2irj.jpg

A line bending tool

IMG_8403_zpsndbsyhgr.jpg

And most importantly a proper flaring tool

IMG_8385_zpsk0mvsncj.jpg

With the suspension at full droop there isn’t a lot of space between the caliper & the coilover so I figure if I bend it up for this minimal gap then it’ll be fine under load

IMG_8384_zpshkfc3x9g.jpg

My flaring tool, is quiet cool I think, it has different dies to hold different diameter lines & the different ends are used for different flare styles

IMG_8389_zpsmmdaajdh.jpg

You slide the tube into the die

IMG_8390_zpskzcw8zuv.jpg

IMG_8391_zpsoscd2fd0.jpg

Then you set the dial to 0 & pull the handle to push the tube into the correct depth… once this is done then you can clamp down fully on the die to hold the tube solid

IMG_8394_zps5ggn4tru.jpg

For the brake lines I’m making up, I needed to double flare my 3/16” line, so step one is turn the dial to 3/16 flare 1… this makes a bubble flare

IMG_8397_zpsmpwtzrwr.jpg

IMG_8398_zpsei2pxamq.jpg

Then you adjust the dial to 3/16 flare 2 & that gives you the double flare

IMG_8399_zpshkdrypqi.jpg

IMG_8400_zpsnm4x5ube.jpg

IMG_8401_zps1bvy4r1o.jpg

Here is the gap at full droop (so as close as it should ever get) & then at normal ride height…

IMG_8402_zpsv6w1wdhm.jpg

IMG_8412_zpsynaxw84f.jpg

So that’s the brake lines run

IMG_8404_zps257al5pc.jpg

Since I had the wheels off I figured I’d fit the disk end of the new Wilwood handbrake cables

IMG_8405_zpsefvyfk8h.jpg

These simply pull on the internal drum of the new disk brake set-up

IMG_8406_zps1jdoxio1.jpg

IMG_8407_zps5cbmecpr.jpg

Then I ran the new cables along the same route as the old ones ran

IMG_8409_zpse6x5b6qo.jpg

IMG_8410_zpsdlyddo0i.jpg

Thought I’d just share some progress pics for the engine build for the GTO… because who doesn’t like looking at shiny engine build pics…

So the block was assembled to check for deck heights, clearance issues etc as I’d said before

IMG_8699_zps9am385iq.png

After that was done then the block was cleaned again & then primed for paint

IMG_8682_zpsfwrvy9ik.jpg

Then we painted the block in the correct Pontiac blue… it’s not my fave engine colour I must admit but it looks good… it’ll be a bitch to keep clean going forward in the bay of course & I’m sure I’ll be wishing I’d just painted it black… but here it is

IMG_8683_zpssqcp4bwa.jpg

New freeze plugs in

IMG_8685_zps134uf3wu.jpg

Rotating assembly now in for good

IMG_8684_zpsaiflsl95.jpg

IMG_8686_zpsskdugj0q.jpg

IMG_8687_zps3mh4n0rc.jpg

IMG_8689_zps7usdvv5y.jpg

The new oilpan got a painting too rather than leaving it in its raw aluminum

IMG_8688_zpsmbjw5sar.jpg

IMG_8692_zpsdy4fshec.jpg

Other than the actual block itself the only other original part off my old engine we’re reusing is the front timing cover, so that was blasted & cleaned up too

IMG_8691_zpssildaaed.jpg

IMG_8693_zps1qnjjnlc.jpg

IMG_8694_zps3it39sdv.jpg

One of the heads has now been port-matched to the intake to help with the flow

IMG_8695_zpswnxztj8e.jpg

IMG_8696_zpssmty0vjr.jpg

• Advertisement

These new heads are what they call big D port heads, add this larger port opening to the fact that we’ve done some smoothing work on the ports the original gaskets I had no longer fit the heads so I got onto Butler performance & got a set of large port gaskets for the heads.

IMG_8749_zps9h1tjxbc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

It must be some relief to see the engine coming together! Has the builder said when they'll get it finished?

It must be some relief to see the engine coming together! Has the builder said when they'll get it finished?

Not in a detailed way no.... I saw him on Tuesday night to give him the gaskets & he said used phrases like it was close & wouldn't be long now... but didn't want to give a direct date... it's a long weekend this weekend here so hopefully he spends a bit of time on it in a final big push kinda way.

But when I saw him Tuesday he told me of another part needed so that only got ordered this week & won't be here till next week now

The new MagnaFlow 3” stainless steel exhaust for the GTO turned up today, I was getting silly quotes from exhaust shops to make me one here so it was much cheaper to buy a sectioned kit that was pre-cut to fit my exact car.

IMG_8536_zpsqrztpyc3.jpg

IMG_8540_zpsr8paxht0.jpg

The old exhaust I pulled off had no H or X pipe, this is an X pipe system so will sound much better & give better performance to boot

IMG_8537_zpsv1zvidsd.jpg

The mufflers are a straight thru design so I’m glad the car is already registered as I think with this new system it would fail the road worthy test on noise

IMG_8538_zpstyergodq.jpg

IMG_8543_zpstf8zddpg.jpg

IMG_8542_zpsejoakepw.jpg

The rear of this exhaust is designed to pop out the sides just past the rear wheels.. I’m not sure if I’ll route it that way or not, I’ll wait till I have it on the car & I can see how it looks to make that call… I bought a set of GTO correct chrome tips incase I decide to go straight out the back past the fuel tank like the old system did

IMG_8539_zps9qobhl7b.jpg

Daved_XB wrote: »
    Not in a detailed way no.... I saw him on Tuesday night to give him the gaskets & he said used phrases like it was close & wouldn't be long now... but didn't want to give a direct date... it's a long weekend this weekend here so hopefully he spends a bit of time on it in a final big push kinda way.

But when I saw him Tuesday he told me of another part needed so that only got ordered this week & won't be here till next week now

goddamn that must be annoying not to have an end date -- ah well, once it gets rebuilt properly it will be worth it, it's a hobby car so you don't need it immediately. Or will you use it for the drive to work :p

• Advertisement

I have driven it to work before, but I don't like driving it in Melbourne rush hour traffic as there are a LOT of muppet drivers out there & I normally see 2-3 crashes a day on a drive in & out of work & don't need this car rear ended if I can help it..... also I have to get out of the car & walk around to the carpark boom gate to get my ticket & that's a bit of a pain in the arse too

I have driven it to work before, but I don't like driving it in Melbourne rush hour traffic as there are a LOT of muppet drivers out there & I normally see 2-3 crashes a day on a drive in & out of work & don't need this car rear ended if I can help it..... also I have to get out of the car & walk around to the carpark boom gate to get my ticket & that's a bit of a pain in the arse too

a couple of crashes a day!!! what kind of loons are you driving amongst

a couple of crashes a day!!! what kind of loons are you driving amongst

Sadly driving standards here are really bad... last year we had 39,404 road deaths & over 4.4M people where injured badly enough to require medical attention... not sure on how big the number would be if you counted the folks who where in a crash but didn't need or didn't seek medical attention

Sadly driving standards here are really bad... last year we had 39,404 road deaths & over 4.4M people where injured badly enough to require medical attention... not sure on how big the number would be if you counted the folks who where in a crash but didn't need or didn't seek medical attention

Yep, definitely a reason not to be bringing your pride & joy carefully restored car to work. I'd be commuting in a Mad-Maxesque truck myself :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

39,404 road deaths didn’t seem anywhere near right to me so I looked it up and according to Wikipedia it was 1,194.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Australia_by_year

Love your threads BTW

WildWater wrote: »
    39,404 road deaths didn’t seem anywhere near right to me so I looked it up and according to Wikipedia it was 1,194.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Australia_by_year

Love your threads BTW

sorry... that was a typo... the link I was looking at gave that as the number of serious car crashes not deaths

Just a quick update to this thread… Melbourne has been in some pretty draconian lockdown for the last 8-10 weeks due to our second wave of ****e virus fun… they started to ease this somewhat last week & that meant that the engineering shop that was flow benching my cylinder heads was open again so we could get them back as they had been prisoners as the shop wasn’t allowed to open up by law…. Anyway lets not focus on the months lost… porting of both of my heads is finished now

IMG_9673.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9672.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9671.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Not only that both heads are on the engine now…

IMG_9670.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9668.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Along with the whole valve train being finished

IMG_9669.JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds

Intake & valve covers are on….

IMG_9674.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

In fact it’s pretty much done… there are one or two tiny details like the oil filter housing that we need to reuse needs to be cleaned & painted & installed etc.. but all things being equal I should have the engine back in my shed in a week or so now

IMG_9667.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9666.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Whilst I think it almost looks too good to be hidden in a car… I cannot wait to get back on to this car & get he out on the road ASAP…

This got delivered to me today… it looks so good in the metal, tomorrow as going to be more work on the XB but change of plans now…. This is going into the GTO now instead

IMG_9718.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9717.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It’s been out so long now that I’m sure I will have a **** of a time finding all of the bolts & bits that I took off, but for now I think I know where the new engine mounts are so I should be able to get the engine back in the bay as a minimum…

This got delivered to me today… it looks so good in the metal, tomorrow as going to be more work on the XB but change of plans now…. This is going into the GTO now instead

It’s been out so long now that I’m sure I will have a **** of a time finding all of the bolts & bits that I took off, but for now I think I know where the new engine mounts are so I should be able to get the engine back in the bay as a minimum…

You'll just have to buy new bolts & bits for it ;):p:p:p

Turns out I have a full ARP bolt kit for the engine already…

IMG_8966.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The bolts that came with the engine kit from Butler are all silver so I’ll swap some of them out for the nicer looking black ARP stuff…. Because… well because reasons

IMG_8955.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8956.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I also have some shiny bling to dress up the front of the engine

IMG_8957.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Bolted on the new engine mounts… remember this little bugger… this will be the death of me (spoiler alert)

IMG_8958.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then with the help of Mrs_XB we lifted the engine up 7 dropped it into the engine bay..

IMG_8962.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8961.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8959.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

As soon as it was in I commented to Mrs_XB that there was no ****ing way I could see me getting the passenger side exhaust header installed, there is **** all gap between the chassis rail & the heads & the oil filter & the oil filter adapter is in the way

IMG_8960.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The drivers side fouled badly on that engine mount & there was just no way to get this on… I could get so so close but no way it would go on

IMG_8964.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Advertisement

So out the engine came again & I test fitted the headers to the engine to see if I could work out the best way to do the install

IMG_8969.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I could see where it was fouling on the safety tab of the mount, so I trimmed it off, leaving as much of the tab as I could….

IMG_8973.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8968.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I really don’t want to remove the oil filter & it’s housing, but you can see how it would be impossible to install the header with them in place

IMG_8971.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8970.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I decided to fit that header up & to use my engine leveler to see if I could tilt the engine in with that one header pre-installed

IMG_8979.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8978.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Mrs_XB & I spent a full 30 minutes struggling with this & the short answer is no…. there was no way it was going to fit… so out it came again so I could remove the filter housing

IMG_8981.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8980.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So going with the old 3rd times a charm I ended up suspending the engine in the engine bay but raised up about 2-3”

IMG_8982.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This allowed me to finally get the headers to fit in… the issue is that the mounting face angle of Pontiac heads are much more downward facing that Ford, Mopar or Chev heads so you have so much less space to play with

IMG_8986.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8985.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8984.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8983.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now looking at the pics above you can see that there is very very little space between the headers & the chassis rails… but this is because the gearbox isn’t on yet & once that is on & the rear of the box is on its crossmember then it tilt the engine forward & give more space

IMG_8989.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So after a long & frustrating day in the shed I was very happy to have this finally sitting in the bay

IMG_8987.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8988.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I know virtually nothing about cars or engines and would consider myself as having little interest in them.

But...

I've just read this entire thread and am fascinated! Great work, and thanks for sharing.

KaneToad wrote: »
    I know virtually nothing about cars or engines and would consider myself as having little interest in them.

But...

I've just read this entire thread and am fascinated! Great work, and thanks for sharing.

Thanks... glad you enjoyed it. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, check out my other build threads in this section... this one is the smallest & probably least impressive IMHO.

That was epic, you have wayyyyy more patience than I have!

I got myself full serpentine kit for the accessories from CVF racing, I went the chrome option rather than the black that they also offer… I’ve used a lot of their brackets before as they are just great quality… this kit is the full Alt/PS/AC kit as I hope to reinstall the AC function to this car too.

The Alt & Power Steering both hang off the same side so it’s just one big bracket on the driver’s side for that

IMG_9038.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

My chrome Alt can be reused here but I need to swap out the original V belt pulley & the original fan too as this fouls on the bracket.. CVF supply a replacement fan that won’t foul

IMG_9039.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So off with the old fan & pulley

IMG_9040.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then install this lovely billet fan piece & mount up the Alt

IMG_9041.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9042.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The brackets mount he power steering pump about 2 inches offset from the factory mounting… hopefully this doesn’t need mean I need to make up new hi & low pressure lines but that’s a future Dave issue

IMG_9044.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9043.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then install the pulley onto the pump & install the black belt routing pulley

IMG_9045.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then I installed the AC bracket & the other two routing pulleys

IMG_9047.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9046.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

That’s when the fun ended…. Turns out that the bracket kit from CVF can’t be used with the original factory style AC compressor…. Which is a big shame as I have a new shiny chrome one here that I ordered way back when I first bought the car.. guess it’s a show paper weight now

IMG_9049.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’ve ordered the correct one from CVF now tonight & a good thing I guess is that it’s a more modern item & it’s less than half the length & half the weight of the original design so I guess that’s a good thing.. just hope the Covid shipping times from the US aren’t too bad….

IMG_9048.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So this is how the engine sits now… next up I’ll work on some of the wiring & installing the modern MSD ignition system whilst I await the parts

This update will be a bit all over the place as I was working with no real plan on the weekend & bounced all over the place because of this & also because of my probable ADH… look a squirrel…

I thought I’d test fit the new mini hi-torque starter that I got with the engine kit, it’s tiny!! I have no idea how this thing has more torque than the old outgoing starter has…. But I suspect its something to do with Aliens from Area 51.

IMG_9050.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

There is heaps of room for this mini starter here, I held up the old one to the same spot & it would have been right on the headers.. so the mini starter was a great idea

IMG_9053.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9052.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9051.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now the wiring will be a little different for this new starter, the main post is on the opposite side to the original so when the cable is connected to the starter it no longer reaches the battery.. so I’ll make up some new leads for that with new post connectors too

IMG_9056.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The original heat protection tube that shields the starter wires as they pass the exhaust looks like it can be reused, just need to make a bracket to hold it

IMG_9057.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The wiring instructions for this new starter aren’t really clear to me & to be honest that may just be the fact that I don’t really understand wiring… if I’m halfarsed in most things I do on these cars I’m fully zeroarsed with wiring, as an example I don’t fully understand why when I unplug something from the wall socket without switching the wall socket off why doesn’t electricity pour out onto the floor? I do however know enough to fully understand the smoke law which states (I’m paraphrasing here) once the smoke exits the wires or the device it’s impossible to get the smoke back in… so I’ll have to do some Dr Google research & maybe even open the GTO service & repair manuals I bought & do some reading before I hook up wires & test fire anything… the last thing I want to do is to send 12.6V to something or through something that really didn’t want 12.6V.. so I’ll be learning all about relays & switched power wires etc…

I had been thinking that I’d need to paint the gearbox before reinstalling it… but some elbow grease, some actual degreaser & a wire wheel & it looks great.. so this is ready to go back in

IMG_9063.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9062.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Before reinstalling the trans I’ve taken the time to set up the oil senders, the car has an idiot light in the dash that comes on where there is zero oil pressure.. I had fitted an aftermarket mechanical gauge inside the car a good while back but I’d never gotten around to connecting it… so now I have made up a set of adapters that allow me to connect the mechanical end into the top of the blue T piece & the original idiot light sensor to the end so in theory I now have a live feed of oil pressure & in your line of sight idiot light for when I’m not looking at the gauge

IMG_9054.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I was pleasantly surprised that the new correct AC compressor that I ordered on Tuesday night out of the US turned up here midday Sunday…. It’s very shiny, much chromes

IMG_9072.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It’s a lot smaller than the original one I have… but to be honest it feels a little heavier

IMG_9077.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It bolts up nicely

IMG_9078.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

& with the added chrome front cover.. that alone must be worth 7HP

IMG_9080.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I decided to test fit the belt & set the tension etc before I installed the fan blades… as there is feck all clearance to get the fan on to this car with the radiator & the fan shroud… so best to test the fit out in the open first

IMG_9079.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The fuel inlet side of my new Holley 850 double pumper Crab is on the opposite side of the Crab that the old set up I had, so I’ve had to move the fuel regulator so that the lines will be more aligned

IMG_9067.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Since my plan is to get the AC working on this car again, I’ve taken the pro-active approach to swap out the blower motor resistor & the AC relay, whilst there may be nothing wrong with these they were cheap & easy to swap out so I’m hoping that this aids in any troubleshooting going forward as to what parts work/don’t work

IMG_9064.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9066.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9061.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9058.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9068.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Next up is the installation of my MSD ignition box

IMG_9060.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It sits on rubber isolators

IMG_9059.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now I’ve got to map out the routing for the wiring & try & make that neat

IMG_9070.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9071.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

There is also a new MSD coil that needs to be wired in

IMG_9081.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I also need to sort my fan… the clutch in this clutch fan is failed

IMG_9082.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I have a brand new clutch to go on

IMG_9083.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then I just cleaned up & painted the fan blades to make it all look a little better… at some pint I may switch across to thermo fans but for now this set up works fine

IMG_9086.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9085.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Advertisement

Dropped the radiator in & cable tied it in place as it’s the shroud that holds the rad in place

IMG_9084.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then you have to very carefully lower in the fan assembly & the shroud at the same time as there is bugger all space

IMG_9087.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then the trick is to slide your arm down & try & attach the fan to the water pump pully before the bleeding that has been induced by the top of the shroud cutting into your arm & the fan blade edges slicing your knuckles causes you to pass out… I just about managed to achieve this…

IMG_9089.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9088.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The last step then is to fight the serpentine belt to get on over all the pulleys as even with everything adjusted to give the most slack it only just goes on by the tiniest of bees appendages

IMG_9092.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But it’s on… it’s all together & I think I have the tension set right… it was a pain in the arse to fit & it fought a lot along the way but I’m really happy with how it’s looking, I won’t be ashamed to open the bonnet at a C&C ever again

IMG_9094.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9093.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Next up is to install the Carb & the linkages… route the spark plug leads so that they don’t foul on anything & look neat… install the gearbox & tailshaft.. correctly align & shim the starter… do all the wiring that’s needed… make up the new handbrake set up & make a new exhaust… I’ve probably forgotten some bits but that’s the highlight to do list for now..

Advertisement