Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frequently Asked Questions /or/ Stuff You Should Know

• 17-01-2004 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

1. When is GalwayLAN held?
    Roughly every 2-3 months.

2. Why would anyone hold a LAN in Galway?
    I live here, and there was nothing there before, so we said "Why not?".

3. How big are the LANs?
    At GalwayLAN1 there were about 16-18 people, due to the CPLs being the same weekend.
    The biggest we've held was Summer 2003 (GalwayLAN6), it had 56 people.
    We average between 30 and 40 people at most of them.
    Looking to expand in the near future :)

4. How long are the LANs?
    Usually over the course of 3 days (Friday - Sunday), from about 9am to 11pm each day.
    With our current venue it is not possible to hold all-nighters, and allnighters leave people wrecked after a day and leave no time for heading to the pubs/clubs after a days gaming to unwind.

5. Who are the organisers?
    Originally it was Doodee and Kharn who ran the first one, and then myself and Doodee.
    When Doodee moved to Dublin for college I took over the task of organising, posting, equipment etc.
    That said, there's been plenty of help provided by the Old Guard along the way.

6. Where can I sign up?
    As of GalwayLAN3 they are ran through Room101.org, with the usual sprawling thread(s) on the LAN Parties Forum on Boards.ie.

7. How much does it cost?
    Usually around €25-30 for the 3 days.
    I try and keep the cost to the attendees as low as possible because alot of people have to travel to get here, and pay for accomodation ontop of the cost of the LAN.
    The money is used to pay for equipment and the venue.

8. What games are played?
    Pretty much anything and everything, though usually whatever's popular at the time is played the most.
    QuakeWorld, Quake3, Counterstrike, Battlefield and Desert Combat have been the most common lately.
    If you want to play a game, ask around, chances are you'll find someone who'd like to play aswell.

9. What competitions/tournaments are run?
    There's normally a QW/Q3 Duels Knockout and a Counterstike Team Knockout, but tbh there's nothing topping people from organising compos/tournies of their own.

10. What about prizes?
    Since the first LAN, big flashy prizes have been disregarded namely because it:
    • Adds to the cost of the LAN, A Bad Thing™
    • Makes thing more competitive and people get pissed off at small mistakes and generally causes agro, A Bad Thing™
    • We don't have any sponsorship at all, which is how prizes are normally secured for LANs. I am looking into this at the moment.
    Aside from that, prizes are usually in the theme of gaming and have ranged from

11. Is there an age limit for attendees?
    There has and hasn't been an age limit.
    The current situation is over 18s sign the waiver and under 18s must have it co-signed by a parent/legal guardian in order to attend and make everything legally kosher. And to protect my ass from liability claims.
    (Thanks to BioHazRd and the Darkside lads for that)

12. What equipment is used?
    We have 2 24-port 100MBit switched hubs at the moment, plans are afoot to procure a 3rd to replace the 24port that died over the summer, and to buy a beefy server.

13. How can I contact the organisers?
    I run the [url=irc://irc.eu.quakenet.org/galwaylan]#galwaylan[/url] IRC channel on QuakeNet.
    PM the OPs for voice.
    Alternatively, contact me through boards, or send an email to:
    galwaylan1fj$an30f=soceanfree\;.s043.Àjsd4net

More to follow....

Comments

Advertisement