Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-12-2018, 15:07   #1
Lion Killer

Any recommended newer TV for retro gaming?

I know, I know. CRT CRT CRT. I am giving in and want to buy a new TV where I can have my newer consoles, retro consoles and the option of plugging an external harddrive in to watch HD content on the TV. I will get an XRGB-mini to go along with it for retro gaming.

Are there any particular brands or models of new TV that are considered better for retro gaming or are they all basically the same thing?

I feel disgusted for writing this. Sorry to all unused and unloved CRTs out there.
Advertisement
04-12-2018, 15:42   #2
Inviere

They're not all the same, you'll want something with as fast a response time as possible...not to mention the crappy backlights that cheaper sets tend to have (blacks are light grey as a result). If you can afford it, go OLED.
04-12-2018, 15:49   #3
The Last Bandit

" I will get an XRGB-mini to go along with it for retro gaming"

No longer in production I think so prices have shot up a lot, the OSSC is a good alternative if you can get one. Or you know, just get a CRT I believe O1s1n has a few to spare
04-12-2018, 18:10   #4
80s Synth Pop

The lag on OLED and LCD for that matter is still very poor compared to a CRT.

I bought a Samsung set 2 years ago 55JS8500 model because the reviews all said it had a really low 22ms refresh. But even in "game mode" with the input set to "PC" you can still see lag when playing the wii u with the tablet responding faster than the Tv set. Would make you think half the reviews online are from shills....

If you are going XRGB-mini or OSSC or SLG-in-a-box etc for your old consoles be prepared to spend €€€ on RGB mods, RGB scart cables etc.
as they all require a clean RGB signal. A (s)nes classic or pi with retropi image might be something to consider with a simple hdmi cable.
05-12-2018, 00:12   #5
DaveyDave

All I can say is make sure you get a TV with a bunch of inputs and also ensure it has an adaptor for composite, Scart or component (lower end TVs probably have Scart or composite ports on them)

My LG has 4 HDMI, cable and 3 USB. No VGA/DVI and I need an adaptor to Scart, composite or component. Can be a bit of a pain when using it for the Sky, PC, new and retro consoles.

Review wise, most tech website reviews just seem to list off the spec like a brochure. I don't see them measuring colour accuracy or response times. I think there's a few forums (whathifi or something similar?) where the users are very familiar with TVs.

Rambling a bit but I'd say definitely avoid budget brands. What size and budget are you thinking?
Advertisement
05-12-2018, 10:20   #6
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

Most TV specs are made up. Contrast ratio being one that is complete and utter nonsense.
15-12-2018, 03:03   #7
Lion Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
" I will get an XRGB-mini to go along with it for retro gaming"

No longer in production I think so prices have shot up a lot, the OSSC is a good alternative if you can get one. Or you know, just get a CRT I believe O1s1n has a few to spare
I have the dough for the XRGB-mini. I watched the MY Life In Gaming video on these devices and came to the conclusion that it would be a better option than the OSSC.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion