Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-11-2018, 10:00   #1
Jack burton

CRT madness!

I didn't want to clog up the general chats with this stuff. I think we talk about CRT displays enough to warrant a thread.

I mostly just wanted to get a hand from ye lads.

I have 4 of those 9 inch Sony's. Now I do find them a bit temperamental when hooking them up. My breakout cable could be in need of replacement but they all work and get a nice picture.

I wanted to daisy chain all 4 together to make a mini video wall. I'm having zero joy getting a picture on any of them off anything other than the RGB breakout with a RGB scart lead.

I've tried a head of different cables. Got those BNC converter's and even got RCA to BNC cable to try out. Still nothing.

Anyone be able to help me out with how to get these lads working. Thanks

Idea is to have an input to line A and then daisy chain it to the next unit from the out on the same line

Advertisement
17-11-2018, 10:56   #2
o1s1n

Id love a dedicated CRT thread, keep all my inane ramblings in one place

Might sound obvious but do you have the buttons on the front configured correctly? (So line A with external sync off?)

All the chaining I've done is off RGB, haven't tried to do it with the composite lines. I've two cables with four BNC connectors that connect the RGB out lines on to the next monitor - I see that monitor doesn't have an RGB out though? Will have to check my one when I go home.
Thanks from:
17-11-2018, 11:11   #3
Jack burton

Yeah I've tried every combo possible with the front buttons out of frustration haha

2 of the monitors weren't working properly Thursday night when I checked. I'd say I need to get a heap of new high quality cables really.

Need to figure out what ones I need for this setup though. All post a pic of all 4 over the weekend
17-11-2018, 14:41   #4
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
keep all my inane ramblings in one place
Pretty much why I became a mod here!
(2) thanks from:
19-11-2018, 13:25   #5
o1s1n

Had a look at my 9 Inch PVM over the weekend and it's the same as yours alright, only has RGB in, no RGB out.

I think the reason it never became an issue for me is I always had it at the end of a video chain, so didn't need to send video out of it.

The RCA cables you posted a photo of above with the BNC adapter on it are all you need really. It's exactly what I use when sending video into one of those monitors from my Famicom.
Advertisement
19-11-2018, 13:41   #6
Jack burton

I'll try it with a few different consoles tonight and test the cables in the trinitron
19-11-2018, 14:39   #7
The Last Bandit

From the looks of the rear panel, I would assume its only the composite and s-video signals (NTSC) are being forwarded - RGB video is input only.

You really need some way of buffering the RGB signal, if you use a BNC T splitter you may be able to drive 2 screens but at the risk of damaging the console.
19-11-2018, 14:48   #8
Jack burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
From the looks of the rear panel, I would assume its only the composite and s-video signals (NTSC) are being forwarded - RGB video is input only.

You really need some way of buffering the RGB signal, if you use a BNC T splitter you may be able to drive 2 screens but at the risk of damaging the console.
I'm trying to forward the composite video is all. Thought that would be the easiest rather than then 4 RGB breakout cables into a scart splitter.

I might have been better off with that haha
19-11-2018, 14:56   #9
o1s1n

As much as I dislike using composite, it really doesnt look bad at all on a monitor this size. So if I were you I'd stick with just trying to chain the composites together alright. Sure it's just 1 RCA cable in and out of each monitor.
Advertisement
19-11-2018, 15:05   #10
Jack burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
As much as I dislike using composite, it really doesnt look bad at all on a monitor this size. So if I were you I'd stick with just trying to chain the composites together alright. Sure it's just 1 RCA cable in and out of each monitor.
Exactly my thoughts. Except when the RCA cables don't seem to work
19-11-2018, 15:06   #11
o1s1n

It's really weird isn't it? Do you have any consoles with composite out that you could just try to run into each monitor to confirm the video inputs are working?
28-11-2018, 13:01   #12
o1s1n

Have another PVM incoming this Monday, I think I have a problem
Thanks from:
28-11-2018, 13:52   #13
Jack burton

What did you get?
28-11-2018, 15:54   #14
o1s1n

A new 14 incher, looks minty.

20 inch is king but there's a lovely quality to 14 that I ended up missing after selling my other ones.

I'll be doing my usual mental **** and adding it to the video chain once it arrives.
28-11-2018, 16:01   #15
Jack burton

Nice!

I should have a few hours to spare tonight. I'll go out and try get the PVMs sorted out. I'll post up a few pics

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion