Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-01-2019, 18:41   #7696
accensi0n

Completed Little Samson on the NES. Great game, a little repetitive in parts. Visuals are really nice.

Advertisement
17-01-2019, 13:47   #7697
Amalgam

A source port of sorts..

Munching away at The Original Strife: Veteran Edition (gog.com)

Fixes a lot of bugs/user interface issues from the DOS version. Turns the game from a bit of a grind to something a lot more enjoyable.

The game still holds up, in my opinion. Turning off 'Bloom' cures a lot of the mouse lag issues some players encounter.

Available on Steam too, but I just wanted to download and play without any game clients installed etc..
17-01-2019, 13:54   #7698
o1s1n

I can't stop playing Dead Cells. It's just such a good game. Keep trying to quit it and continue Octopath - but after about 30 minutes of that I end up going back to Dead Cells again.
Thanks from:
25-01-2019, 12:37   #7699
o1s1n

So after 10 hours, Octopath Traveller is boring me to tears. Boring stories, boring progression, just boring. Looks gorgeous and the battles are fun but that's about it. The last few times I've played it, I've actually fallen asleep.

Has anyone played through Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I loved the first, but found X to be a bit uninspired, so not sure whether to drop on 2. Really need a decent RPG to tide me over.

It's either that or Mario Odyssey. I'm a bit Mario'ed out at the moment though after playing through Super Mario 3D Land on the WiiU.

Also haven't played a Splatoon game, so am considering Splatoon 2.

Just realised this is probably more apt in the Nintendo forum
Thanks from:
25-01-2019, 12:51   #7700
megaten

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post

Has anyone played through Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I loved the first, but found X to be a bit uninspired, so not sure whether to drop on 2. Really need a decent RPG to tide me over.
The bits when your actually playing are good, though it took me until hour 40 to fully grasp the battle system. Almost every single cutscene is cringe inducing though.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-01-2019, 12:54   #7701
hellsing101

Quote:
So after 10 hours, Octopath Traveller is boring me to tears. Boring stories, boring progression, just boring. Looks gorgeous and the battles are fun but that's about it. The last few times I've played it, I've actually fallen asleep.

It's either that or Mario Odyssey. I'm a bit Mario'ed out at the moment though after playing through Super Mario 3D Land on the WiiU.

Splatoon 2 is quite good as a casual spend an hour or so game, game modes are fun. If you want RPG then new Dragon Quest is pretty good, not sure if it is on Switch though.
Thanks from:
25-01-2019, 13:12   #7702
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

Quote:
Don't get the love for it either. There's just so much talking and the writing isn't good enough to make it interesting.

People keep saying it's like a 16 bit RPG but it's the furthest thing from it. Those games were tightly paced and didn't waste your time whereas octopath is the same issue that has plagued games for the last 10 years, too much boring badly paced exposition.
Thanks from:
29-01-2019, 23:09   #7703
Shapey Fiend

Yakuza 0 is the first RPG I've enjoyed and finished in fecking ages. The writing is so good! It's got so many humorous touches and golden era Sega goodness about it. Playing a little Kiwami now but it doesn't seem quite as well put together. I'll tip away at it occasionally though.

I realised Jeff Minter's Minotaur Arcade Volume 1 is out the other day so been playing that a bit. Getting on with it better than Space Giraffe (the last game of his I played). Ended up playing both games for an hour each the other night without getting bored which is a good sign with these kinds of 3 minute blast games. The graphics can be a bit busy to tell what the hells going on at first but when you get accustomed to the sound queues and stuff the 'zone' quality really kicks in I was consistently doing better every time so wasn't frustrating in that respect.
30-01-2019, 06:26   #7704
Andrew76

Quote:

As far as RPGs on the Switch go, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA is supposed to be fairly decent iirc. Have had it on my wish list for ages but the thing never seems to go on sale.
Advertisement
30-01-2019, 09:06   #7705
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

I got excited there for a second but, no, Minotaur Arcade isn't out on PSVR... still...
30-01-2019, 09:39   #7706
o1s1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
As far as RPGs on the Switch go, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA is supposed to be fairly decent iirc. Have had it on my wish list for ages but the thing never seems to go on sale.
Nice one, I'll check it out - I haven't ever actually played any of the Ys games, been on my list for years.

In the meantime I went ahead and bought Doom yesterday, couldn't be farther from an RPG
30-01-2019, 10:57   #7707
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

Ys: VIII is so much better than decent. It's an absolutely cracking ARPG.

I'd highly recommend it. The Ys games are fantastic. The combat is just insanely fast and fun and it's way more action than RPG. Nobody does ARPG better than Falcom.
Thanks from:
30-01-2019, 11:31   #7708
Shapey Fiend

Yeah there's no concrete date on PS4 Minotaur Arcade yet. Giles does all the ports and getting through console approval process is a bit of a headache from what I gather.
Thanks from:
30-01-2019, 16:16   #7709
beejee

Not exactly retro (but related to retro!), playing the resident evil 2 remake. Only have an hour or two each night max, but what a game!

Has a few drawbacks compared to the original, but the best modern game ive played in years and years. Actually looking forward eagerly to playing it each time
30-01-2019, 18:19   #7710
DaveyDave

Not quite retro but I picked up Skate the other day. Bit of a learning curve and I hear Skate 2 is better but I did enjoy it when it came out. As frustrating as it was at times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejee View Post
Not exactly retro (but related to retro!), playing the resident evil 2 remake. Only have an hour or two each night max, but what a game!

Has a few drawbacks compared to the original, but the best modern game ive played in years and years. Actually looking forward eagerly to playing it each time
I'm about halfway through Leon's campaign myself, liking it so far. Don't really have to worry about inventory management too much and there isn't any mad puzzles or anything. I enjoy looking around and sussing things out.

It's not particularly scary or anything but the absolute stress of being followed!

Had to drive out to Smyths in Carrickmines to get it as it was sold out everywhere. On a side note, the car park was stop and go busy, but there's bloody free underground parking on the Harvey Norman side...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion