Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-01-2019, 18:47   #1
Lion Killer

2 Dreamcast Mods - What is the ideal setup?

Hi guys,

My old Dreamcast is dead and I am looking to buy another. I have been away from the DC scene for a few years so I am unfamiliar with what the best mods are for it these days. When I stopped keeping up on the scene I think buggy SD card mods had just come out.

These days if you are going for a Dreamcast what would be the best option to go for? I am looking for something with high levels of compatibility. I see there are SD card and hard drive mods out.

Any suggestions?

I already have a HDMI adapter from Beharbros, but no working DC to use it on.
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 20:37   #2
Chris_Heilong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Killer View Post
Hi guys,

My old Dreamcast is dead and I am looking to buy another. I have been away from the DC scene for a few years so I am unfamiliar with what the best mods are for it these days. When I stopped keeping up on the scene I think buggy SD card mods had just come out.

These days if you are going for a Dreamcast what would be the best option to go for? I am looking for something with high levels of compatibility. I see there are SD card and hard drive mods out.

Any suggestions?

I already have a HDMI adapter from Beharbros, but no working DC to use it on.
Depending on what is wrong with your Dreamcast it could be an easy fix.
22-01-2019, 18:14   #3
mozie81

I have a Pico psu and gdrom emu in mine, then vga to hdmi. Plenty of options depending on how much you want to spend, guy doing fully modded on ebay, expensive but will give you an idea of what's available

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Drea...1CNJEVugZ21hbw
Thanks from:
23-01-2019, 19:36   #4
Lion Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozie81 View Post
I have a Pico psu and gdrom emu in mine, then vga to hdmi. Plenty of options depending on how much you want to spend, guy doing fully modded on ebay, expensive but will give you an idea of what's available

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Drea...1CNJEVugZ21hbw
My problem is don't really understand the benefits and limitations of things like the SD card option, GDEMU, IDE and CF.

I mean, the GDEMU seems expensive and hard to get at the moment. Out of the other options what is worth going for? What is the compatibility like for them?

Any advice on which to go for between SD, CF or IDE? I don't want something that has low levels of compatibility or is buggy and so on. I want something that is easy to transfer to and play games with the minimum of fuss.

I already have an Akura HDMI cable. I would go for the option with the Pico PSU.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion