Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
07-06-2019, 18:42   #61
Gimme A Pound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post
serious question, are all crime committed by men against women misogynist?
No. And I dislike when the word is misused too.
Gimme A Pound is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-06-2019, 18:44   #62
suicide_circus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbridge4life View Post
Genuinely head scratching comment, literally what is the point of the remark?
they are questioning whether the core motivation for this attack was a fear or hatred of homosexuals. it dosnt matter to the victims since they took beating either way but a randomer on the internet is permitted to ask the question particularly as robbery was also involved.
suicide_circus is offline  
Thanks from:
07-06-2019, 18:45   #63
Cryptopagan
Registered User
 
Cryptopagan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post
serious question, are all crime committed by men against women misogynist?
Ofc there is no element of misogyny involved where a bunch of lads beat up and rob women who wouldn’t kiss each other for their entertainment.
Cryptopagan is offline  
07-06-2019, 18:46   #64
suicide_circus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptopagan View Post
Ofc there is no element of misogyny involved were a bunch of lads beat up and rob women who wouldn’t kiss each other for their entertainment.
thats nice but youre not answering the question asked
suicide_circus is offline  
07-06-2019, 18:47   #65
FunLover18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalynn Skinny Shepherdess View Post
I agree with plenty of what you say. It is incredible the way things get deflected and twisted to make it seem like the victim is the one at fault. Aoife Dooley thread, Sinead Burke thread. Astonishing (well it should be).

But I think things should be described accurately. I don't think they were attacked *because* they're gay. I think they were attacked because they wouldn't do what was demanded of them and because they were easy targets.
I understand what you're saying, I think it comes down to semantics. They were *physically* attacked because they wouldn't do what they were told but they were attacked verbally because they were gay. I would consider being asked to kiss someone for the entertainment of others a form of attack.
FunLover18 is offline  
Advertisement
07-06-2019, 18:47   #66
Cryptopagan
Registered User
 
Cryptopagan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post
thats nice but youre not answering the question asked
Of course not. But this is very definitely a misogynistic and homophobic attack.
Cryptopagan is offline  
Thanks from:
07-06-2019, 18:49   #67
ceadaoin.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post
serious question, are all crime committed by men against women misogynist?
Not necessarily, but when the attack is committed because the perpetrators have the notion that women, and lesbians in particular, are obliged to perform for them to provide sexual titillation, and who resort to violence when the women dare to refuse then how is it not coming from a misogynistic place? It is objectification of and dominance over women. Would they have asked two gay men to do similar? Highly doubtful.

Put it this way, a group of men trying to force women into performing sexual favours for them (which is sexual assault in itself) , and then beating them up when they refuse clearly is a misogynistic attack IMO

Last edited by ceadaoin.; 07-06-2019 at 18:57.
ceadaoin. is offline  
07-06-2019, 18:51   #68
Birneybau
Registered User
 
Birneybau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFlyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birneybau View Post
4 lads arrested, one had been speaking Spanish. But sure, religion of peace...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-on-london-bus
Where does it say they were speaking Spanish?

The flight attendant typed entered a detail account of the attack to facebook in both English and Spanish.
Fair enough, quoted the wrong article.

From the BBC "Ms Geymonat said one of the men spoke Spanish and the others had British accents"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-48555889
Birneybau is offline  
07-06-2019, 18:52   #69
_Brian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 12,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalynn Skinny Shepherdess View Post
I agree with plenty of what you say. It is incredible the way things get deflected and twisted to make it seem like the victim is the one at fault. Aoife Dooley thread, Sinead Burke thread. Astonishing (well it should be).

But I think things should be described accurately. I don't think they were attacked *because* they're gay. I think they were attacked because they wouldn't do what was demanded of them and because they were easy targets.
Your doing the same thing just out the other side of your mouth.
It stinks of a homophobihic attack, trying to deny that makes no sense.
_Brian is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-06-2019, 18:52   #70
Gimme A Pound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptopagan View Post
Of course not. But this is very definitely a misogynistic and homophobic attack.
Why very definitely? It was deplorable. The perpetrators are disgusting and it seems too that homophobia and misogyny are becoming increasingly fashionable again, but I don't see any definite evidence that the attack was because they're women and because they're gay.
Gimme A Pound is offline  
Thanks from:
07-06-2019, 18:54   #71
Gimme A Pound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian View Post
Your doing the same thing just out the other side of your mouth.
It stinks of a homophobihic attack, trying to deny that makes no sense.
Oh please, look at my posts on the Aoife Dooley and Sinead Burke threads rather than lazily and unfairly lumping me in with that crowd.
Gimme A Pound is offline  
07-06-2019, 18:55   #72
Cryptopagan
Registered User
 
Cryptopagan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalynn Skinny Shepherdess View Post
Why very definitely? It was deplorable. The perpetrators are disgusting and it seems too that homophobia and misogyny are becoming increasingly fashionable again, but I don't see any definite evidence that the attack was because they're women and because they're gay.
Yeah they were going to target a pair of heterosexual men and try make them kiss each other but there weren’t any on the bus.
Cryptopagan is offline  
07-06-2019, 18:57   #73
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 836
Utter lowlifes whoever the hell they were. They basically just sexually assaulted (the forced kissing), harassed and then physically assaulted two gay women on a bus because they wouldn't perform for them.

Hopefully they're not tried as children as they sound like they would be a risk to society in general given the level of violence when they didn't get their way.
Anteayer is offline  
(2) thanks from:
07-06-2019, 18:58   #74
Gimme A Pound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptopagan View Post
Yeah they were going to target a pair of heterosexual men and try make them kiss each other but there weren’t any on the bus.
Yeah fair enough.
Gimme A Pound is offline  
07-06-2019, 18:58   #75
Das Reich
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 286
I doubt an English speaker would recognize a Spanish tone. Any pictures of the attackers?
Das Reich is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet