Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-03-2019, 08:15   #46
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achasanai View Post
Not everyone's interest in football is going to see it week-in and week-out.
That's fair enough. I think it's fair to say the fella or girl going week-in and week-out is definitely more of a die hard though than someone sitting on a couch. So when someone derides a person for following LOI or their local team by saying ''who do you really support?'', they're sneering at an actual match-going fan and football without fans is nothing.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 08:17   #47
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar MIA View Post
So the thread is answered.
To a degree but then why not support Spain or Germany over Ireland? Why not support Kilkenny over Wexford in the hurling?
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:18   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edenmoar View Post
Any irish person who says “Do one” should be excecuted
And you can do one, an' all. You Pillock.
09-03-2019, 08:20   #49
blade1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
To a degree but then why not support Spain or Germany over Ireland? Why not support Kilkenny over Wexford in the hurling?
Because you play for your school/club In the county and can progress to playing for your county.
Also no other countries have famous gaa players.
09-03-2019, 08:22   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Equally as obvious.

Vanishingly few Irish players played for those teams, and virtually absent from the TV up until late. Barcelona and RM have a growing following though, and second teams for a lot of Irish people.

The GAA have a good PR system and ever present in Irish media. And it's very county specific, and everyone is proud of their county.
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 08:23   #51
Edenmoar
Banned

Quote:
Jog on mate
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:24   #52
Edenmoar
Banned

Quote:
The GAA have a good PR system and ever present in Irish media. And it's very county specific, and everyone is proud of their county.
Everyone? I can’t stand GAA. I hate how the GAA try and insist it’s part of my heritage, I’ve never had anything to do with it.
09-03-2019, 08:24   #53

Quote:
Jog on mate
I'm not your mate, chum.
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:25   #54
IAMAMORON

I wasn't even allowed read Roy of the Rovers. True Story. I will get over it. I remember seeing a fight on a Saturday afternoon in a pub in Drimnagh between Liverpool and Man United fans, I will never ever get over the sight of Irish men fighting each other wearing British soccer jerseys.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 08:26   #55

Quote:
Everyone? I can’t stand GAA. I hate how the GAA try and insist it’s part of my heritage, I’ve never had anything to do with it.
And you'd never support any team, and so the possibility of changing allegiance is irrelevant. County being where they are from not the GAA team.
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:26   #56

Acrington Stanley.
09-03-2019, 08:26   #57
Ohmeha

Nothing wrong with supporting English, Scottish, Spanish or any teams from another country

Though nothing beats going to see your local team in the flesh week in week out.

Pity the LOI is run like crap, promoted like crap, marketed like crap because I think this country could have a great domestic football product and experience for supporters if the FAI gave any toss about it
(4) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:26   #58
Omackeral

Quote:
Sling yer hook, mate.
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:27   #59
Necro

Is it not simply down to what you grew up doing and witnessing in regards to sport etc? Like the Premier League is almost 30 years old now, for context it's older than my wife. It's as ingrained in Irish culture as national sports are due to the marketing. Way more so than LOI, which might be hard to accept but is simply a fact. I know there are some exceptions to the rule as usual where they pick it up in later life but primarily people gravitate towards what their parents, or mates, or extended family do. And there's nothing wrong with that.

For me I follow Arsenal as I was born in London and lived there for 6 years. Arguably my actual local team should be Leyton Orient, and I do have an affinity with them (keep an eye on their results at least), but most of my family who are North London based are either Spurs or Arsenal, so it was a straight up and simple choice for me, and I landed on the red side and regret absolutely nothing.

As for LOI, I used to be as a young lad a regular match goer to Sligo Rovers games. Enjoyed it for a little while but truth be told I never got the same buzz out of it. And that was live, whereas most of my Arsenal experiences have been through a television.

I wouldn't argue either way is better in supporting, people do what they do and it doesn't really bother me that much tbh.
09-03-2019, 08:27   #60
Pauliedragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by demanufactured View Post
Acrington Stanley.
Who are they?
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image