Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-03-2019, 07:03   #16
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxy View Post
To be fair the vast majority of Irish people support England in world cups that Ireland do not qualify for.
Oh fuck I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek or not!
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 07:14   #17
Pkiernan

A lot of Irish really wish they were English, I reckon.
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 07:17   #18
Ardillaun

It's the anxiety of influence felt by any smaller nation next to a much larger one that speaks the same, or a similar, language. We have such problems in Canada too with the elephant beside us. Many Irish people are probably unaware that we have our own unique code of football which attracts fewer viewers in our own country than the US version. And don't get me started on movies, news etc.: my immigrant in-laws watch MSNBC 24/7 and seem to think it's Canadian news, and I can't summon the energy to correct them.

Last edited by Ardillaun; 09-03-2019 at 07:37.
09-03-2019, 07:23   #19
Yamanoto

Coddle by the Poddle
vs.
Hoddle & Waddle.
(3) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 07:25   #20
DEFTLEFTHAND

The likes of Waterford Utd used to draw crowds in excess of 50000.

The big Dub derby of that era was Drumcondra FC and Shamrock Rovers.

BBC and Match of the Day was the turning point.

Paddy started supporting the likes of Leeds and Tottenham Hotspur.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 07:27   #21
8-10

No local team but I did go to all the internationals as a youth and started supporting Liverpool as a decent bunch of Irish players played for them so I could see them on tv
09-03-2019, 07:32   #22
Ardillaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Oh fuck I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek or not!
Such events can evoke unexpected allegiances from the depths. Although being back and forth between the countries in my early years, I was definitely in the Irish camp but something about the Germans got my back up. When West Germany played England in 1990, I found myself rooting for Gazza and the lads who were definitely the underdogs. During the match, he took a ferocious body slam of ice hockey proportions, and yet, Reymar take note, he hopped up and cheerfully patted his Teutonic assailant on the head.

Last edited by Ardillaun; 09-03-2019 at 07:52.
09-03-2019, 07:36   #23
flazio

I think it's because our best players have always joined British teams to make themselves even better and to play in higher competitions like European Cups and naturally we would want to cheer them on. Look at FAI national teams over the past 100 plus years and see where those players played club football. Vast majority would be an English (or Welsh or Scottish) club.
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 07:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxy View Post
To be fair the vast majority of Irish people support England in world cups that Ireland do not qualify for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkiernan View Post
A lot of Irish really wish they were English, I reckon.
I know it's AH, so will take the above with a pinch ofcurry salt.

When I was growing up it was MOTD, LOI existed (so wiki tells me)*, but how were the lads on the school yard going to know diddly squat about anything LOI?

I can also remember a huge contingency of Irish (natural and declared) playing for my and other clubs.

As for quality, for years LOI clubs were battered by their equivalents from small countries in europe*. Things have improved of late, but they can't compete. LOI soccer lurches from one financial crises to another. They cannot even give their players contracts beyond a season/ a year. Take Cork City (who know a thing about going bust), who have been super competitive in the last number of years, winning the title the season before last and this year they lost nine regular players and are struggling. The Dublin teams (which used to dominate) have imploded over recent seasons.

*I did keep an ear out for LOI results on the radio and of course remember the mighty Cork team and their mighty GAA contingent give those German upstarts a run for their money.

TL/DR LOI is literally not in the same league as the PL, and while I wish them well any sanctimonious LOI can incredulous as to how any Irish person could follow English teams (and we can use that term loosely given the number of actual English players in each team) fan, respectfully, DO ONE!

Last edited by Avatar MIA; 09-03-2019 at 07:44.
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 07:43   #25
DEFTLEFTHAND

I getting all this Liverpool sh1t at the moment . Boys in my local crying about them. Why don't they support Everton? The Catholic club in the city.
09-03-2019, 07:44   #26
Ardillaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by flazio View Post
I think it's because our best players have always joinedmany British teams to make themselves even better and to play in higher competitions like European Cups and naturally we would want to cheer them on. Look at FAI national teams over the past 100 plus years and see where those players played club football. Vast majority would be an English (or Welsh or Scottish) club.
Our best players aren't major stars over there any more. I grew up supporting Man U, George Best intitially, in the First Division but the Champions League is the ultimate level in terms of quality now and the players in the top teams are drawn from the same countries as the Premiership. These days, if you're supporting a particular 'English' team, you're really only cheering for a transient jersey design. In fairness, I guess in this Facebook era, it's not so bizarre to swear allegiance to a 'global product'.

Last edited by Ardillaun; 09-03-2019 at 07:59.
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 07:45   #27
Edenmoar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flazio View Post
I think it's because our best players have always joined British teams to make themselves even better and to play in higher competitions like European Cups and naturally we would want to cheer them on. Look at FAI national teams over the past 100 plus years and see where those players played club football. Vast majority would be an English (or Welsh or Scottish) club.
Well we don’t have any “our best players” any more. Pretty much every irish player in England is a donkey now compared to the standard there.
I don’t know if it’s because they get more time on the ball or what but you see fantastic football in the LOI, they play it out from the back and you don’t see much hoofball something Ireland never do and something none of our so called stars could do in England. It’s hot potato football when Ireland play, we are just so bad, and mick isn’t going to have us playing tici taca any time soon.
09-03-2019, 07:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
I getting all this Liverpool sh1t at the moment . Boys in my local crying about them. Why don't they support Everton? The Catholic club in the city.
Because they evolved, got up off their knees?
(4) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 07:50   #29
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
When is the last time you have seen Everton describe themselves as Catholic?

Religion is not part of football
09-03-2019, 07:52   #30
blade1

We made good goalposts and fishing nets for nets in our back garden in the 70's.
All the kids in the area would call where a match would take place most days during the 70'and 80's.
We dreamt of being the players we saw on the T.V. and read about.
Nobody would have aspired to be a L.O.I. player.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion