Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-06-2019, 20:43   #1561
OMM 0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Perfectly fine angle if you think of watching movies and watching football on telly as one and the same. Plenty do. To me and millions worldwide, football isn't just something on telly though.
I think a lot of people, me included, do not have the time to go to actual games.

So sitting at home, I can turn on the TV and watch some nice goals etc.

If the LOI had a highlights TV show which was well produced and had good presenters (imagine Bill O'Herlihy with Giles & Dunphy), I would watch it.

Has RTE ever tried that?
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 20:43   #1562
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
You don't see a strong link between the national team and the LOI? Without the LOI our national team captain would be playing GAA for a club in Donegal just now, Enda Stevens wouldn't be playing. That's both our starting full backs. The apparent Lord and saviour Matt Doherty wouldn't be there, the list goes on and that's just current players go back through the years and some of our best ever players got to where they got to because of the LOI giving them a platform.
Between the national team and the level of the LOI, my god do you even read the context of my posts. I'm saying it's a stepping stone. If the best players are to go on and be internationals I think they will anyway, either in a top class LOI league or by moving to a better class league anyway.

Both Stevens and Coleman were in the English system for years before getting a full cap, same with Matt Doherty.

Yeah it's great there is a league here but the internationals are rarely plucked straight out of it.

If LOI was on par with a top league what I'm saying is you'd still have the likes of Coleman and Stevens picked for Ireland, as it stands I think the best players the LOI have to offer will still go on and make it at international level
12-06-2019, 20:56   #1563

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
Between the national team and the level of the LOI, my god do you even read the context of my posts. I'm saying it's a stepping stone. If the best players are to go on and be internationals I think they will anyway, either in a top class LOI league or by moving to a better class league anyway.

Both Stevens and Coleman were in the English system for years before getting a full cap, same with Matt Doherty.

Yeah it's great there is a league here but the internationals are rarely plucked straight out of it.

If LOI was on par with a top league what I'm saying is you'd still have the likes of Coleman and Stevens picked for Ireland, as it stands I think the best players the LOI have to offer will still go on and make it at international level
But they think us going to the matches will make the players better when it's always gonna be this standard with Britain next door buying any player that looks half decent.
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 21:04   #1564
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Seduction View Post
But they think us going to the matches will make the players better when it's always gonna be this standard with Britain next door buying any player that looks half decent.
Would they be happy if we all went to games, league got as popular as the Premier League everyone builds 50,000 seater stadia and locals can't go anymore because of the amount of foreign fans flying in for every game and pushing up prices?

I don't get what the endgame is. Surely if it gets significantly better it will just attract the same type of supporters people who go to games now seem to dislike....why isn't it already considered ideal if the only people who go are these true pure soccer fans who aren't there for the selfies but for the love of the sport as a whole?
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 21:39   #1565
D14Rugby

Quote:
How do you not see the logic? Let's take Rovers for example. Say their average attendance goes from the current 3,000 to 8,000. Given they've attracted 7,000 this season and are based in Dublin that shouldn't be unrealistic in a country of our size with a normal attitude to its national league. Over the course of a season that's an extra million quid in ticket income alone for the club never mind all the advertising income it'd bring, including God forbid a tv deal, that money can then go to keeping players in the league so instead of League 1 being too financially good to turn down the Championship is then the minimum so the quality of player staying in the league goes up, transfer fees go up because suddenly English clubs have to do more than click their fingers to get players, performances in europe improve bringing in more money, attendances across the league increase because suddenly there's internationals coming to town, all this snowballs and eventually you get to a level where the standard of player is such that the international squad has a good percentage of it currently playing in the league. All this brings up the standard of football across the country, means kids have regular access to their heroes, kids aren't being shipped off away from home with no education at 16.

So yeah people going to games has a huge impact on the quality of players besides all the other benefits it would being to lots of different areas of Ireland not just the league.

Nobody expects a league like the EPL but something on par with the likes of Sweden, Denmark or Scotland isn't out of the question.

Quote:

Oh my God do you even read the context of my posts? I was pointing out it's more than a stepping stone, there's a strong link between it and the national team, there's players in our national squad that without it wouldn't be playing football at all without the league, that's not a stepping stone, it's way above that.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 21:44   #1566
8-10

Quote:
Oh my God do you even read the context of my posts? I was pointing out it's more than a stepping stone, there's a strong link between it and the national team, there's players in our national squad that without it wouldn't be playing football at all without the league, that's not a stepping stone, it's way above that.
Nobody is saying anything about there being no league though? There is a league. Multiple divisions. And they're not going away

The question is how much does the level/quality of the league matter to the National team?

Last edited by 8-10; 12-06-2019 at 21:54.
12-06-2019, 22:06   #1567

Majority of players go to England before they get near LOI. That's not gooing to change. Only worse it'll get. I support my local junior team in Desmond league go to alot of games does this count or do I have to support a LOI team
12-06-2019, 22:11   #1568
D14Rugby

Quote:
Majority of players go to England before they get near LOI. That's not gooing to change. Only worse it'll get. I support my local junior team in Desmond league go to alot of games does this count or do I have to support a LOI team
That's already changing so you're showing your complete ignorance there.
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 22:13   #1569

Quote:
That's already changing so you're showing your complete ignorance there.
There's less players going overall. The majority of ones that are get scouted at underage.facts . Bar the odd few.

Last edited by Ultimate Seduction; 12-06-2019 at 22:17.
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 22:21   #1570
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMM 0000 View Post
I think a lot of people, me included, do not have the time to go to actual games.

So sitting at home, I can turn on the TV and watch some nice goals etc.
That's grand yeah. I just wouldn't really consider that to be supporting in the true sense of the word.
12-06-2019, 22:23   #1571
Necro

Quote:
Would they be happy if we all went to games, league got as popular as the Premier League everyone builds 50,000 seater stadia and locals can't go anymore because of the amount of foreign fans flying in for every game and pushing up prices?

I don't get what the endgame is. Surely if it gets significantly better it will just attract the same type of supporters people who go to games now seem to dislike....why isn't it already considered ideal if the only people who go are these true pure soccer fans who aren't there for the selfies but for the love of the sport as a whole?
It's an easy scapegoat tbf, blaming the lack of support from Irish people for whatever reason instead of looking at the total and utter mismanagement by the FAI, LOI execs and indeed the clubs themselves in self-promotion.

Honestly wonder do any of the clubs or the execs have a single marketing person with an ounce of talent.

It's the same with the national team, interest is way down and attendances are being supplemented by free tickets to schools, this is not a new thing.

But sure Delaney and his ilk would rather open an astro-turf pitch down in Kerry than actually do what he's been paid exorbitant amounts of money to do, which is manage and promote the sport in the country.

So instead of knocking fans for supporting Liverpool, Arsenal, whoever - throw your ire at those who run the sport here cos they're the ones letting you down.
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 22:25   #1572
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
That's grand yeah. I just wouldn't really consider that to be supporting in the true sense of the word.
Doesn't really matter though what you consider it. That's what fans do, they watch games and support their team. You can even listen to the radio commentary and support the team playing, you don't even have to watch. There's a blind man who goes to Anfield and has his mate describe to him what happens on the pitch.

I feel closer to Liverpool FC from my living room than any LOI side I've seen live. Others will be the complete opposite.

But we all experience games differently. I've honestly gotten really into a game before with radio commentary alone
12-06-2019, 22:28   #1573
D14Rugby

Quote:
There's less players going overall. The majority of ones that are get scouted at underage.facts . Bar the odd few.
There are underage players turning down the option of joining English academies in favour of staying and playing for LOI underage teams. So yeah it's changing already.
12-06-2019, 22:29   #1574
Omackeral

To be honest 8-10, going to games pretty much is supporting a team. I'm not saying that for any moral superiority. I'm not saying it as a pro-LOI thing. Basically, you're literally supporting a team by paying in and shouting for them. Financially and from an encouragement POV. That applies to any team anywhere.
(3) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 22:29   #1575
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro View Post
It's an easy scapegoat tbf, blaming the lack of support from Irish people for whatever reason instead of looking at the total and utter mismanagement by the FAI, LOI execs and indeed the clubs themselves in self-promotion.

Honestly wonder do any of the clubs or the execs have a single marketing person with an ounce of talent.

It's the same with the national team, interest is way down and attendances are being supplemented by free tickets to schools, this is not a new thing.

But sure Delaney and his ilk would rather open an astro-turf pitch down in Kerry than actually do what he's been paid exorbitant amounts of money to do, which is manage and promote the sport in the country.

So instead of knocking fans for supporting Liverpool, Arsenal, whoever - throw your ire at those who run the sport here cos they're the ones letting you down.
I think you'll find LOI fans were the ones having a go at Delaney years ago and getting told to shut up by "fans" of English teams
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion