Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
12-06-2019, 20:44   #646
RobMc59
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancieBrady View Post
Like the 'crystal ball' you claim is exclusive to me.
No,you genuinely believe you can see into the future,especially over a UI.
RobMc59 is offline  
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 20:52   #647
FrancieBrady
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 20,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMc59 View Post
No,you genuinely believe you can see into the future,especially over a UI.
Like you, I have an 'opinion' on what might happen. Unlike you I don't deny it when asked to explain.
FrancieBrady is offline  
12-06-2019, 21:30   #648
A Dub in Glasgo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 14,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by recedite View Post
There's a bit of confusion around the "habitation" thing, so here it is.
A country can project a 200 mile economic exclusion zone (EEZ) out across the sea from its outermost inhabited coast or island. That in itself does not give exclusive fishing rights, but it gives first dibs on oil and gas wells, and gives extra weight to claims of ownership of any uninhabited islands within that zone.
On this basis, Rockall is within the UK's EEZ.


Rockall is above sea level at low tide, therefore it counts as "land".

So, because it is within their EEZ, and having landed on it and laid claim to this "land" for The Crown, as "land" it automatically generates its own 12 mile limit (as any claimed piece of land does, whether it is inhabited or not) This provides Rockall with exclusive fishing rights, regardless of whether the UK is inside the EU or outside it.
The northern waters of the UK are administered by the Scottish govt, who have 3 of their own fishing patrol vessels. But these can also call for back up from the RN whenever they need it, because Scotland is in the UK.


The Irish position is to say sure its only a rock, nobody owns it, lets all share the fish.


Meanwhile, Brussels is staying very, very quiet.
The Irish, Danish and Icelandic position is that they do not recognise the validity of the UK claim of Rockall soverignty therefore the 12nm exclusion zone around Rockall is not valid. The UN CLCS has not adjudicated on it therefore there appears to be nothing illegal (in EU terms) in fishing in the EEZ as per the CFP
A Dub in Glasgo is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 21:43   #649
recedite
Registered User
 
recedite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuaranach View Post
The Scots really don't realise the importance of songs in a war. Songs stir a people in their deepest soul.
Maybe not, but they always appreciated the importance of being sober before the start of a battle.
As somebody once said about the Irish and their ballads "all their songs are sad, but all their wars were merry".
recedite is offline  
12-06-2019, 21:48   #650
odyssey06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyeddy View Post
It doesn't look like this is going down well in Scotland at all. Some people are using it to attack Nicola for starting a fight over a rock. Also Irish fishermen are saying there's no animosity from Scottish fishermen towards them.
That's not the kinda talk that will get us a war.

I'll get the ball rolling... If Scotland played Rockall at football, they'd still lose.
odyssey06 is offline  
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 21:48   #651
recedite
Registered User
 
recedite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dub in Glasgo View Post
The Irish, Danish and Icelandic position is that they do not recognise the validity of the UK claim of Rockall soverignty therefore the 12nm exclusion zone around Rockall is not valid. The UN CLCS has not adjudicated on it therefore there appears to be nothing illegal (in EU terms) in fishing in the EEZ as per the CFP
Well, they would say that, wouldn't they.
Sovereignty is a difficult thing to prove. I think, at the end of the day, if you control a piece of land, you have proved your sovereignty over it.
It stands to reason then, that the Scots/Brits will need to exert more control over the area, if there is some doubt about its sovereignty.
recedite is offline  
12-06-2019, 22:09   #652
Fuaranach
Registered User
 
Fuaranach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by janfebmar View Post
At least they could spell. They did not rob Hong Kong. The people of Hong Kong were very grateful for everything the British brought them.
Mother of God, is there no stopping you and this lamentably benighted twaddle? Do you mean they should be grateful for the drugs? Loads, and loads and loads of drugs supplied by the biggest drug dealer on the planet, your beloved British Empire? You do know that the British got possession of Hong Kong under the Treaty of Nanking in 1842 as a reward for winning the First Opium War, a war the British initiated to defend their rights to... you guessed it... deal drugs in the face of massive Chinese objections to growing drug problems in China?

Hilarious that you're so terrifyingly blinkered that you're trying to dress up your favourite state in the world as a civilising influence, even when it's the superstar drug dealer of the 19th century.

New York Times: How Britain went to war with China over opium (3 July 2018)
Fuaranach is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 22:35   #653
steddyeddy
Registered User
 
steddyeddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 20,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by recedite View Post
Well, they would say that, wouldn't they.
Sovereignty is a difficult thing to prove. I think, at the end of the day, if you control a piece of land, you have proved your sovereignty over it.
It stands to reason then, that the Scots/Brits will need to exert more control over the area, if there is some doubt about its sovereignty.
Well that's your reasoning not the UN's or anyone's for that matter. That would give Russia sovereignty over the Crimea and the IRA sovereignty over Free Derry as it was called. It's more than just whoever can exercise the most brute force. Control means control and nothing more.
steddyeddy is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 23:03   #654
janfebmar
Registered User
 
janfebmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuaranach View Post
Mother of God, is there no stopping you and this lamentably benighted twaddle? Do you mean they should be grateful for the drugs? Loads, and loads and loads of drugs supplied by the biggest drug dealer on the planet, your beloved British Empire? You do know that the British got possession of Hong Kong under the Treaty of Nanking in 1842 as a reward for winning the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Opium_War]First O
You are taking a quotation from a day or two ago out of context. By the time the British left Hong Kong when their lease expired in 1997, they had transformed it into a great economic hub, a city so great that it was comparable in many ways to New York and London. That was in complete contrast to China in the mid and late 20th century.
janfebmar is offline  
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 23:03   #655
A Dub in Glasgo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 14,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by recedite View Post
Well, they would say that, wouldn't they.
Sovereignty is a difficult thing to prove. I think, at the end of the day, if you control a piece of land, you have proved your sovereignty over it.
It stands to reason then, that the Scots/Brits will need to exert more control over the area, if there is some doubt about its sovereignty.
Yes they would say that as the current position is that the UK claim on Rockall is not internationally recognised
A Dub in Glasgo is offline  
12-06-2019, 23:09   #656
janfebmar
Registered User
 
janfebmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMc59 View Post
No,you genuinely believe you can see into the future,especially over a UI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancieBrady View Post
Like you, I have an 'opinion' on what might happen. Unlike you I don't deny it when asked to explain.

lol Francie, you have an opinion all right. If it was 80 years ago, you would be urging your Republican comrade Sean Russell to side with the Nazis, which he did, and you would have been predicting the total destruction of the evil and dastardly British during the war. If it was the 1970s, you would have been predicting the victory of the IRA within a very short while and a united Ireland.
janfebmar is offline  
12-06-2019, 23:10   #657
firemansam4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMc59
Saying Ireland spat out it`s dummy is no reason to be offended and Britain has`nt changed it`s attitude to Rockall-I`m glad the Taoiseach has seen sense and recognises whose jurisdiction Rockall comes under and that Ireland is on borrowed time fishing there although personally I would prefer Britain and Ireland to jointly fish there.
Did you even read the article that you quoted in your post?

At no point did it mention that Leo recognised Rockall jurisdiction as being British. He simply pointed out that things may change after Brexit which is totally correct.
firemansam4 is offline  
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 23:11   #658
_blaaz
Registered User
 
_blaaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by janfebmar View Post
lol Francie, you have an opinion all right. If it was 80 years ago, you would be urging your Republican comrade Sean Russell to side with the Nazis, which he did, and you would have been predicting the total destruction of the evil and dastardly British during the war. If it was the 1970s, you would have been predicting the victory of the IRA within a very short while and a united Ireland.
Seems irrational to critise someone for something theyve not said?
_blaaz is offline  
12-06-2019, 23:17   #659
janfebmar
Registered User
 
janfebmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by _blaaz View Post
Seems irrational to critise someone for something theyve not said?
I am jokinging speculating what Francis the psychics positiion would have been had he been around early in WW2, or early during the troubles, seeing as he always defended the Republican position in those struggles, and is always predicting the downfall of the despised British in Brexit etc. As RobMc said of Francie, he genuinely believes he
can see into the future,especially over a UI !

Last edited by janfebmar; 12-06-2019 at 23:20.
janfebmar is offline  
12-06-2019, 23:17   #660
FrancieBrady
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 20,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by _blaaz View Post
Seems irrational to critise someone for something theyve not said?
There is an extraordinary mind at work there blaaz.

How desperate is janfebmar for a cogent argument to have to invent all of those lies, not mention take the time to type it all out.
FrancieBrady is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet