Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1930s-60s electoral registers gone from DCLA website

• 09-07-2020 8:48pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I hadn't noticed until today but they've even removed the 1937/38 register now. :mad:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed until today but they've even removed the 1937/38 register now. :mad:

Was that not removed 4 years ago when the DPC over-acted?

The >100 (at that time) are still there

http://databases.dublincity.ie/burgesses/advanced_new.php

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Initially, they left the first year up 37-38.

I've edited the title to reflect the ones I mean.
    The 1908-1915 period are still there, as L1011 says, but they are of limited use.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Probably realised that the DPC's overreach covered that too.

Should be -50 years (if even - its public data) like other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

I thought they removed them ages ago - Internet Archive for the page titled "Electoral Lists 1937-1964" dated 30th November 2016 shows 'The Dublin City Electoral Lists 1937-64 have been taken down from this site.'

I must be misremembering it.

It's a PITA. Gilbert Library has not yet reopened.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I have been battering the INA to death since Lockdown started for a non-genealogy project; and have developed the worst need for the wall-o-Thoms in the Gilbert Library.

I've got about two hundred addresses to look up (potentially multiple years per address) over a ~110 year period!

With unlimited time (unlikely - I'm guessing we'll get 90min slots maybe) I would also want to figure out what is the first year the 'current' format Dublin directories started, its between the mid 40s and the mid 60s - and skim through the more useful trades directory for a specific category or two.

Ha!

I've emailed both DCLA and Fingal Archives this evening asking when they'll be reopening.

I want to check the census microfilms in the latter for some houses I think are missing from 1911. I know the NAI is open but Fingal more convenient.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

L1011 wrote: »
    I've got about two hundred addresses to look up (potentially multiple years per address) over a ~110 year period!

Ancestry have Thom's Directories from 1847 to 1947 if you're not already aware.
    Might be good given the number of records you're after.

Genealogy Forum Mod

AskAboutIreland have OK coverage til 1943 FOC, just appalling or no OCR. Might be able to do some work with those two but I can work faster with the physical books

I need a lot of 50s and 60s before it resumes its coverage patchily in 65

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

And knowing Mary Bloggs lived on the same street as Peter Pepper in 1930 and were both over 18 (meaning they are over 100 now) is a breach of privacy how?

Surely this is not what the data protection legislation was for?

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    And knowing Mary Bloggs lived on the same street as Peter Pepper in 1930 and were both over 18 (meaning they are over 100 now) is a breach of privacy how?

Surely this is not what the data protection legislation was for?

In fact, the voting age was 21 until the early 1970s.
    They only went up to 1965 as well, which means the youngest people on them would be 86 now.

It was a massive over-reach by the DPC and I'm not sure I'll ever forgive them. Electoral registers can be sold: there is no presumption of privacy.

I foresee this being a bigger problem for genealogy as we progress through the 20th century records, which will become easier to find, read, digitise, etc. These things will make data mining easier and may be used to stop online access.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement