Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundtrack To Your Angst

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Fad's first post has hit the nail on the head.
    Brand New: The Devil and God are Raging inside me, the whole album is chocful of awesome and probably signals the latest change in my musical taste. Everybody must own this album, super serial.

Before then from 5th year to current era it was Wilco and Bright Eyes and before then splattering of decency and ****e with an overbearing of Oasis and S Club

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Fad's first post has hit the nail on the head.
    Brand New: The Devil and God are Raging inside me, the whole album is chocful of awesome and probably signals the latest change in my musical taste. Everybody must own this album, super serial.

Luca especially the album version is just magical :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Luca is good but the bit before Cement galloshes is a little boring for the album, having said that it's the perfect build. Prefer the epiphany in Limousine (MS Redbridge) . Some of the lyrics are genius. "He was bored and tired of my lament, said I died for you one time but never again". Awesome 30 seconds. Started a thread about them in the alt. and indie forum yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

oh man, i remember that. limp bizkit... when chocolate starfish and hot dog flavoured water came out, yeah?

nad linkin park were the band that introduced me to music. back when mtv sitll played music, the summer between 6th class and 1st year, i saw crawling on mtv, and went 'wow'.... then i remember papa roach's 'between angels and insects' being on about the same time. and P.O.D's 'alive', and me just sitting there in front of the tv (no remote control, had to sit straight in front of it to change channels), and was just amazed! it was all just breathtaking and WOW for me. long story short... linkin park ended up supporting metallica, i fell in love, and the entire history of metal and the whole genre was laid out in front of me,and i fell in love.

Hey, are you me by any chance? :pac: That's more or less how I got into metal as well! In fact, 'Hybrid Theory' was the first album I got ( buying a Spice Girls album on tape when I was eight doesn't count, right? :p)

Ah, the days of nu-metal! I remember pissing off my parents by wearing a 'Satanic' (:rolleyes:) Slipknot hoodie! Good times.

Get Korn's self-titled album for angstyness, 'tis hard to beat. Also, Smashing Pumpkins 'Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness' basically was my soundtrack throughout my teens. Still love 'em.

Deftones' 'Back to School' is a killer track as well. Also Nirvana's back catalogue!

Recently got into a good metalcore band called Saosin, though I think they've been around for a while.

I'm sure I'll think of more. :D

Acacia wrote: »

Recently got into a good metalcore band called Saosin, though I think they've been around for a while.

I saw them once, cant say where. They where good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I guess at the end of the day you can't discount bad religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Smashing pumpkins

Bullet with butterfly wings

Placebo

pure morning

Slipknot

Duality

Rage Against the Machine

Bulls on parade

System of a down

BYOB

bah I am going stop:D

nice choices man. now, i must insist in replacing bulls on parade with ANYTHING from teh first album, and BYOB - that's the song that started the cogs in me moving to new zealand. :eek:

Fad wrote: »
    Abba and Limp Bizkit are two I am genuinely ashamed to have ever liked, that said, they helped form the taste I have now.

I still listen to Linkin Park, But I only ever really listen to the Reanimation album, and the new stuff is just horrendous.

but... why listen to reanimation when you can listen to hybrid theory and meteora?! :confused:;) was never too keen on reanimation, but the new stuff is actually really quite good live. im sorta over linkin park at this stage. more indy/metal/oldie groovy stuff at the mo, but linkin park will always have a special place in my heart. <3
    And for the whole anger thing, I'm a great believer in positive aggression "Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean." Forget who said it though. But it kinda explains why I like a lot of metal (well Hardcore stuff), no excuse for the more extreme stuff.

sounds about right. :cool:
    Hey, are you me by any chance? :pac: That's more or less how I got into metal as well! In fact, 'Hybrid Theory' was the first album I got ( buying a Spice Girls album on tape when I was eight doesn't count, right? :p)

mine was b*witched. but aye, first three albums... b*witched... robbie williams... linkin park...
    Ah, the days of nu-metal! I remember pissing off my parents by wearing a 'Satanic' (:rolleyes:) Slipknot hoodie! Good times.

Get Korn's self-titled album for angstyness, 'tis hard to beat. Also, Smashing Pumpkins 'Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness' basically was my soundtrack throughout my teens. Still love 'em.

Deftones' 'Back to School' is a killer track as well. Also Nirvana's back catalogue!

I'm sure I'll think of more. :D

took me a few years to get into slipknot... wait and bleed was good, but not into any of their earlier stuff other than that, really... all things from subliminal verses onwards though is just mindblowingly amazing. korn, i never managed to get into. ive enjoyed everything ive heard live, but they just never managed to grab me. pumpkins are awesome, but again, not a band i managed to get into during my teens, really. hehe, was singing deftones most of yesterday. we are the leaders... of it alllllll....

me in school was more linkin park, papa roach, metallica, 36 crazyfists, incubus, funeral for a friend, audioslave, queens of the stone age, green day (before american idiot ;) :P), avril lavigne... ... quite a few others too.

but... why listen to reanimation when you can listen to hybrid theory and meteora?! :confused:;)

As its a better album imo, that said I'd still prefer to listen to an album I'm not quite so familiar with. Love listening to something that I've heard feckin loads but then find another little niche in the song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

"I tried so hard, and got so far, but in the EEEEEEEEEEEND, it doesn't even MAAATTTEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!"

Oh, to be 13 again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

downset - empower
    pantera - f**kin hostile

yep, I'm that old. ;) That's if I was wallowing, if I wanted to cheer myself up it'd be something poptastic or some funk.

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    "I tried so hard, and got so far, but in the EEEEEEEEEEEND, it doesn't even MAAATTTEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!"

Oh, to be 13 again.....

More like 10/11 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anything by The Smiths or Daft Punk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Been listening to the Pumpkins since I was a wee lickle sprog.

So yeah, for angst, got to be the Smashing Pumpkins. And I've seen them live. :cool:

In honour of my teenage years - gone but not forgotten - 'Disarm.'

mine was b*witched. but aye, first three albums... b*witched... robbie williams... linkin park...

took me a few years to get into slipknot... wait and bleed was good, but not into any of their earlier stuff other than that, really... all things from subliminal verses onwards though is just mindblowingly amazing. korn, i never managed to get into. ive enjoyed everything ive heard live, but they just never managed to grab me. pumpkins are awesome, but again, not a band i managed to get into during my teens, really. hehe, was singing deftones most of yesterday. we are the leaders... of it alllllll....

me in school was more linkin park, papa roach, metallica, 36 crazyfists, incubus, funeral for a friend, audioslave, queens of the stone age, green day (before american idiot ;) :P), avril lavigne... ... quite a few others too.

Ah, yeah, I liked bewitched too...but that's before I got into 'real' music

*sweeps Britney Spears tapes under the carpet*

>.>
    <.<

For me, I prefer Slipknot's older stuff. I guess it just holds good memories for me (ironically!). I do think Subliminal Verses is the best album, though. Korn are hit-and-miss, and I don't have any of their newer albums, seems like cack to be honest. Everything up to 'Untouchables' was class though.

Yeah, I liked Green Day before 'American Idiot' too. That's when every Tom, Dick and Harry started to like them. They weren't cool after that :p (Just kidding!)

I guess during the past few years, I started exploring punk and metal. I remember when Phantom FM was good,too. :D:P
    Been listening to the Pumpkins since I was a wee lickle sprog.

So yeah, for angst, got to be the Smashing Pumpkins. And I've seen them live. :cool:

In honour of my teenage years - gone but not forgotten - 'Disarm.'

Aw, I love that song . Siamese Dream is brilliant too, as well as 'M. C. A. T. I. S' (couldn't be arsed typing that again!)

You saw them live? *jealous* :p
    Fad wrote: »
    I saw them once, cant say where. They where good.

Jealous of you, too! ;) :pac:

>.>
    <.<

For me, I prefer Slipknot's older stuff. I guess it just holds good memories for me (ironically!). I do think Subliminal Verses is the best album, though. Korn are hit-and-miss, and I don't have any of their newer albums, seems like cack to be honest. Everything up to 'Untouchables' was class though.

Yeah, I liked Green Day before 'American Idiot' too. That's when every Tom, Dick and Harry started to like them. They weren't cool after that :p (Just kidding!)

I guess during the past few years, I started exploring punk and metal. I remember when Phantom FM was good,too. :D:P

Aw, I love that song . Siamese Dream is brilliant too, as well as 'M. C. A. T. I. S' (couldn't be arsed typing that again!)

Jealous of you, too! ;) :pac:

Siamese Dream is still probably by favourite album ever. ^^

Yeah, doubt we're allowed talk of it. Think it was 'they who shall not be named' who organised it.

Siamese Dream is still probably by favourite album ever. ^^

Yeah, doubt we're allowed talk of it. Think it was 'they who shall not be named' who organised it.

Ah, right so.

Yeah, Pumpkins rock!

I like 90's grunge as well, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc. All good and angsty! :pac:

Ah, right so.

Yeah, Pumpkins rock!

I like 90's grunge as well, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc. All good and angsty! :pac:

Yeah, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc are all cool. I've been known to enjoy all that stuff. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Ah, right so.

Yeah, Pumpkins rock!

Yeah, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc are all cool. I've been known to enjoy all that stuff. ;)

Love them

black hole sun, love this song

Love them

black hole sun, love this song

Good tune alright. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Good tune alright. ^^
    Stone temple pilots as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Fatima Mansions - Blues for Ceausescu

Stone temple pilots as well

They ain;t too bad.

Oh and Radiohead rawk. :pac:

>.>
    <.<

my first concert was westlife. though that was before my teens, so doesnt count, i dont reckon *very shifty eyes*

slipknot just never held any appeal to me, really, i confess, i did just kinda dismiss them, between the music and the masks, i couldnt take them seriously, till i was babysitting and flicking through sky digital music stations (slobber), and came across ...*pulls a blank*... the one... with the houseparty in their old gaf... dude falls through ceiling... "i push my fingers into my eyyyyes... it's the only thing that slowly stops the ache... "... wtf is that song called? *complete blank*...
    duality.

yeah, found that and just went 'wow. awesomeness.'.

wish i'd figured it out before i saw them live, mind, and kinda ignored them. korn, i saw live, and spent ages listening to their stuff before seeing them so i'd be familiar with the songs, and still... just... *shrugs* nothing.

haha, i always hated that 'cool' thing about liking them or not liking them at certain times. but im not about to get into another green day selling out debate. sick of it! :P

maybe it's just cos twas illegal? everything's more fun when it's not quite legal. but aye, getting into punk more recently myself, got to see UK Subs for my birthday, and Stiff Little Fingers a month or so after that, absolutely amazing. bigger into the local punk scene here, tonnes of 40somethings with leather jackets, pistols tshirts, tartan trousers and stellcap boots floating around this city. i managed to befriend two of them, in fact, so gotten quite into the local scene... OIS II MEN ftw! :D

saw em live too :D and worse, my b/f roadied for them, before they broke up and anyone died (only a month or so before yer man died), played pool, drank piss and talked about kids with them. really cool peeps apparently. some pretty dodge stories too :P

oh man, i *knew* when i listed the stuff i was listening to at that time that i was missing out on a whole load of stuff i listened to...

temple of the dog, mother love bone, anything chris cornell's ever done... ever heard any bad radio? eddy vedder's old band, have a few songs, really good stuff.

was thinking about this thread during work today, and realised that i was thinking of my teens as secondary school, completely neglecting to remember that i was 17 for most of college, and have been a teen for 2 years after that too!

i have to throw in The Tea Party - first time since linkin park that i got *obsessed* with a band, and not fallen so head over heels for a band since. chilli's released dani california while i was in 1st year college, fallout boy put out a few songs that i guiltily enjoyed, me and my best mate from college (<3), elbow, ride, clearlake, interpol i started getting into about the same time, too. go tme into a much more chilled kinda mood regarding my music taste, those bands. nine inch nails too... doesnt have to be heavy metal to do angry/bitter/dark well.

edit: radiohead - bends album, and everything by muse also played a massive part in all things to do wtih teenagedom.

Temple of Dog are played by a couple of my mate's constantly. ^^

I still love Muse and Radiohead. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Creep" is the epitomy of teen angst in music. But in a good way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Pearl_Jam-Ten-Frontal.jpg

Even went to New York to see them live although, it was just as I was starting to listen to them less and less. Twas still great though.

Now though, I never really listen to them but I was so into them it was untrue. I remember when I first listened to Ten, being absolutely blown away. Walking around school in a daze listening to that album. I miss those times now that I think of it. There's nothing better than being so into a band you struggle to enjoy anything else.

Even though I don't listen to them much anymore, they'll always have a "special place in my heart" (for want of a better phrase)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Darling Violetta - Angel Main Theme (The Sanctuary Extended Remix) [Angel - Live fast, Die never soundtrack]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Duaility-Slipknot

Not a huge fan of heavy metal/rock but i really like that!

An Fhile wrote: »
    "Creep" is the epitomy of teen angst in music. But in a good way :)

always hated that one. no good reason, just.. ugh. no.
    Timans wrote: »
    Pearl_Jam-Ten-Frontal.jpg

Even went to New York to see them live although, it was just as I was starting to listen to them less and less. Twas still great though.

Now though, I never really listen to them but I was so into them it was untrue. I remember when I first listened to Ten, being absolutely blown away. Walking around school in a daze listening to that album. I miss those times now that I think of it. There's nothing better than being so into a band you struggle to enjoy anything else.

Even though I don't listen to them much anymore, they'll always have a "special place in my heart" (for want of a better phrase)

they'll always remind me of a particular ex, and ah, that's not so bad a thing, he's a great bloke, but ten is an amazing album. 'alive' was the one that always did it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭seamus-2k7

My favorate has to be muse, not just one particular album but every single song. I heart muse with passion. I also like flight of the conchords to the same degree.
    A few of my other favorates are qotsa, rolling stones, led zeplin,,linkin park, artic monkeys, headhunterz and loads more.

Not quite angsty though

Advertisement