Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Waist sizes - mens.

• 11-12-2016 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭

I don't understand sizing, I never have.

If I know somebody's waist size, or their shirt size, how does that translate into those peculiar 40, 42, 44 sort of sizes
    or the equally dubious XXL, XXXLL, etc etc?

I'm trying to order a kilt for a man: I only know his waist (37 inches round) and shirt size - 15 and a half.
    He's about 5.7" or 5.8" and quite slim and slight.

What do the inches refer to in sizes from 32 up to 50?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Are you referring to suit jackets when you quote 40, 42, 44 etc? This is the circumference measurement taken of your chest just under your arms in inches. Shirt size is the circumference of your neck (eg 15.5, 16, 16.5 etc). There is no equivalent waist size for these measurements. You could have a very slim waist and broad chest or vice versa.

Likewise, there is no equivalent for M, L, XL apart from trying them on. I've tried on M tops that are too baggy and had XL tops that are too tight for me!!

I've never seen trousers or jeans marked as M, L, XL etc If you are ordering trousers or jeans from a continental european market, you may see different sizing measurements. The equivalent is below.

Continental Size 46 48 50 52 54 56 58 60.
    Waist 30" 32" 34" 36" 38" 40" 42" 44"

Advertisement