Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Market 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrMojoRisin'

Dublin 8 / Dublin 12 price bracket < 350k still seems very competitive to me

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭tommythecat

D6w still seems to be very strong. Lots still going well over asking in larkfield, Derravaragh, Melvin road areas.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

VonLuck wrote: »
    I can imagine people coming to Ireland to work would like this kind of environment. Would allow them to potentially build some friendships and avoid isolation which can be a problem.

The vast majority come here and don't live that way and have no problem with isolation, making friends etc. You don't need to live in hostel like conditions to make friends and meet people. There's a million tried and tested ways to do so. Some serious straw clutching when claiming these will help people avoid isolation is put forward as a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Selling a house in naas atm, spoke to 3 agents before listing, all said the market has gone very slow.

Massive supply of new homes coming on stream in naas, so local conditions are probably playing a part in the slowdown too.

Hopefully I get what I’m asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Selling a house in naas atm, spoke to 3 agents before listing, all said the market has gone very slow.

Massive supply of new homes coming on stream in naas, so local conditions are probably playing a part in the slowdown too.

when you say massive supply how many we talking can you provide the details as devil is in detail

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Valhallapt wrote: »

The discount that you have to price at (below the price of new builds) is increasing (nationally). You have to factor both better insulation (BER etc) into the equation- along with the fact that you have a much smaller market (aka first time buyers have only limited interest- as it doesn't qualify for their inducement).

The dicotomy is producing very different markets even in the same locality- and resulting in first time buyers being lumped into new built estates- and older more developed areas- being ring fenced for other demographics.

When you factor council/housing association purchases into the equation- we're storing up significant resentment in localities in future years..........

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

The discount that you have to price at (below the price of new builds) is increasing (nationally). You have to factor both better insulation (BER etc) into the equation- along with the fact that you have a much smaller market (aka first time buyers have only limited interest- as it doesn't qualify for their inducement).

The dicotomy is producing very different markets even in the same locality- and resulting in first time buyers being lumped into new built estates- and older more developed areas- being ring fenced for other demographics.

When you factor council/housing association purchases into the equation- we're storing up significant resentment in localities in future years..........

I agree, however older houses tend to be larger than newer builds and this goes double for outdoor space as developers continue to shrink the footprint of houses which has resulted in an observable increase in 3 story houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why resentment...?

It's always been the case that areas are cyclical on that one area will have young families and another older people, as people age that changes eventually comes fill circle as old houses get refurbished and affordable again.

whampiri wrote: »
    I agree, however older houses tend to be larger than newer builds and this goes double for outdoor space as developers continue to shrink the footprint of houses which has resulted in an observable increase in 3 story houses.

The density in New houses is very obvious especially with regard to parking. New areas often have no room for on Street parking and no front gardens. Very mixed quality in older houses many are built and finished very badly. I see a lot of them being gutted and rebuilt internally from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Why can't the independent publish a single article about the housing situation without mentioning the term "cuckoo funds"? This is their own self-penned phrase which they seem desperate to catch on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Why can't the independent publish a single article about the housing situation without mentioning the term "cuckoo funds"? This is their own self-penned phrase which they seem desperate to catch on.

+1. I also find it extremely annoying - seems like it’s became their way of sounding like market insiders who know the fancy works no one else does. Except at this stage it’s pretty clear it is mostly their own obsession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Because they're a trash newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Some long and detailed reading on the so-called vulture funds, the Irish commercial property sector and s110 vehicles;

https://thepropertypin.com/t/dublin-office-bubble-fg-landlord-nirvana-iref-qiaifs-reits/48705
    https://thepropertypin.com/t/irish-section-110-spv-vultures-tax-haven-orphaning-scam/48520

Very well put together - will rile landlords and tenants both!

1.REITs pay zero Irish Tax on all Rental Income (not even 12.5%) - all Irish rents are tax-free.

2.REITs pay zero Irish tax on any Capital Gains (not the 33%) - all Irish capital gains are tax-free.

3.REITs have to withhold 20% dividend tax on dividends BUT, not for:

•foreign pension funds, or
    •foreign life funds, or
    •foreign CIUs (i.e CIUs means every “non-private” investor in the REITs)

3a. In addition, REITs don’t have to pay the 20% on capital gains (they can use capital gains to buy back shares).

3b. In addition, while Irish tenants must withhold 20% rent tax from foreign landlords, they don’t if rent is collected by Irish Agents. all REITs' agents are Irish. As we saw with Section 110 SPVs, Revenue bend anti-avoidance laws for foreign funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

I can't even click. I am so dejected by the whole bloody thing. Goalposts just keep shifting and rent keeps going up.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

A developer doesnt price a job on its cost. Its priced on the max people are willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

Zenify wrote: »
    A developer doesnt price a job on its cost. Its priced on the max people are willing to pay.

If the max people are willing to pay is less than the cost to build (including construction workers wages) and still make reasonable profit, they just won't build - constricting supply. So either way prices rise by some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Some long and detailed reading on the so-called vulture funds, the Irish commercial property sector and s110 vehicles;

https://thepropertypin.com/t/dublin-office-bubble-fg-landlord-nirvana-iref-qiaifs-reits/48705
    https://thepropertypin.com/t/irish-section-110-spv-vultures-tax-haven-orphaning-scam/48520

Very well put together - will rile landlords and tenants both!

That is absolutely disgusting! New legislation is needed to level the playing field! However would it be best to wait a year or 2 until they have funded more apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

If the max people are willing to pay is less than the cost to build (including construction workers wages) and still make reasonable profit, they just won't build - constricting supply. So either way prices rise by some degree.

I was going to add that point myself but you could go on forever. If builders wont make as much from a development then they will bid less for the land. People will say the land owners wont sell. There is an endless amount of variables but I think the biggest variable in property prices is how much money the buyers have.

Zenify wrote: »
    I was going to add that point myself but you could go on forever. If builders wont make as much from a development then they will bid less for the land. People will say the land owners wont sell. There is an endless amount of variables but I think the biggest variable in property prices is how much money the buyers have.

Hence the reason the Central bank brought in the income multiples. But Govt action is distorting the market even further, be it HAP, First Time buyers Grant, demanding social housing in prime locations, under utilizing existing social housing, driving landlords out of the market, introducing legislation deterring prospective landlords resulting in them leaving properties vacant.

This is not going to end well for those looking for accommodation either to rent or purchase.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    The only way to solve this is slow down the economy, for sustainable growth. No politician wants to take that on.

I was listening to the radio earlier on this topic and they had a senior economist talking about the housing situation.

We simply do not have enough builders to build what we need, in the past Eastern Europeans (mostly Polish) came to fill the gap but due to our high cost of living and the Polish economy going well they don't need to come to Ireland.

Perhaps we should look at better utilizing the properties we already have or at least the properties where existing infrastructure already exists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Political discussion split into a separate thread.

I was listening to the radio earlier on this topic and they had a senior economist talking about the housing situation.

We simply do not have enough builders to build what we need, in the past Eastern Europeans (mostly Polish) came to fill the gap but due to our high cost of living and the Polish economy going well they don't need to come to Ireland.

Perhaps we should look at better utilizing the properties we already have or at least the properties where existing infrastructure already exists.

Can't fit a gallon into a pint glass.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Can't fit a gallon into a pint glass.

+1
    We need high density, high volume residential accommodation output- esp. in city centers. Dublin is a special issue- and needs highrise, high density developments- as central as possible- where people do not need to commute. Ideally- as large as possible a portion of this should be affordable housing- and certain professions (I'd argue doctors, nurses, teachers- and anyone in fulltime gainful employment of under 40k gross per annum) should get priority.

Dublin city council- was under the control of political entities who were diametrically opposed to development (the Greens) for too long- and despite having access to considerable redevelopment funds- didn't draw on them.

Perhaps the time to ask the question- whether or not local authority housing should be formally nationalised- is now- as the piecemeal approach on a council by council, local authority basis- has not worked.

Against this backdrop- we have the government investing 9-10 billion in infrastructure projects- when we don't have the available workforce for building our accommodation needs. Surely- parking infrastructure projects for a rainy day- might make more sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

+1
    We need high density, high volume residential accommodation output- esp. in city centers. Dublin is a special issue- and needs highrise, high density developments- as central as possible- where people do not need to commute. Ideally- as large as possible a portion of this should be affordable housing- and certain professions (I'd argue doctors, nurses, teachers- and anyone in fulltime gainful employment of under 40k gross per annum) should get priority.

Dublin city council- was under the control of political entities who were diametrically opposed to development (the Greens) for too long- and despite having access to considerable redevelopment funds- didn't draw on them.

Perhaps the time to ask the question- whether or not local authority housing should be formally nationalised- is now- as the piecemeal approach on a council by council, local authority basis- has not worked.

Against this backdrop- we have the government investing 9-10 billion in infrastructure projects- when we don't have the available workforce for building our accommodation needs. Surely- parking infrastructure projects for a rainy day- might make more sense?

I saw an article the other day in the indo saying that planning applications for over 6000 properties had been lodged in the previous 5 days. The article spun it to sound like a bad thing by saying how nearly half of them are being built buy to let and will never go on sale to families. I mean you can't win. People can't find a place to live in Dublin but they still complain when the only people with the resources to build try and build.

The media just put out populist pap to sell views and papers. They distort peoples world view and what's actually going on. They are not asking hard questions anymore.

I saw an article the other day in the indo saying that planning applications for over 6000 properties had been lodged in the previous 5 days. The article spun it to sound like a bad thing by saying how nearly half of them are being built buy to let and will never go on sale to families. I mean you can't win. People can't find a place to live in Dublin but they still complain when the only people with the resources to build try and build.

The issues with the building is that they are only building for the most profitable sector. Top down. The crisis is mainly at the bottom and middle end.

There is no plan to solve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

When was this?
    Cannot think of one Council every been in control of the Greens - not alone Dublin City Council, any Council in the Country.

+1

In public people will agree we need high density but in private NIMBYism is alive and well.

I firmly believe we need a cultural change before we start building large scale local authority housing. If we don't get this change we will have Ballymun, Tallaght, St Michaels Estate anti social issues in the coming years.

If you are a tenant be it council or private and you cause anti social issues then you are evicted full stop. If we as a State feel we must house people then anybody guilty of anti social behavior is housed in a rural location where they can't terrorize others.

Do you honestly see any politician ever voting for a changes in the law which would end up in someone being evicted from a property. This would be political suicide.

I agree we should not be investing in infrastructure until we get our housing situation resolved but this will not win votes. We have TD's who want Rural Broadband at a cost to the State of over €2b and a private investment of €200m and yet the State will own nothing of the infrastructure.

TD's are looking for the infrastructure to balance the economic activity in Ireland rather than having it just in the East coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

The issues with the building is that they are only building for the most profitable sector. Top down. The crisis is mainly at the bottom and middle end.

There is no plan to solve this.

They're not though. That 6000 includes plans for 1000 units in Clondalkin, 500 in Coolock and 300 in Tallaght. See here https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rush-for-buildtorent-as-plans-for-more-than-6000-properties-are-tabled-in-just-five-days-38100933.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement