Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Market 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm not convinced that demand is easing- its more credit is drying up- people can't access the level of credit needed to support the current level of prices.
    Just anecdotally I feel the same - lots of people are renting who would like to buy.

I fully support the CBI limits. We can't go back to lending 5, 6, 7, 8 times peoples salaries, because we've proven as a nation we are simply not responsible enough.

What should change however is the deposit requirements in my view. It's simply not possible to pay current rents, and save a substantial deposit. I'd like to see people being allowed access their pensions to put towards a house purchase - this would have the benefit of encouraging people to start a pension early, and allow them (once off) access for a deposit if they require it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Daftdrop has some info,

Cheers, does it just give initial asking price and selling price?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

hmmm wrote: »
    Just anecdotally I feel the same - lots of people are renting who would like to buy.

I fully support the CBI limits. We can't go back to lending 5, 6, 7, 8 times peoples salaries, because we've proven as a nation we are simply not responsible enough.

What should change however is the deposit requirements in my view. It's simply not possible to pay current rents, and save a substantial deposit. I'd like to see people being allowed access their pensions to put towards a house purchase - this would have the benefit of encouraging people to start a pension early, and allow them (once off) access for a deposit if they require it.

I don't think allowing people access to their pensions is the answer. Not many people have a pension worth accessing!
    Again - as far as I can see there are two broad issues, linked together.
    1. The cost of building. Way too prohibitive. Granted there are only certain things the state can do here but there are things the state can do.
    2. Linked to 1 - the amount of properties for sale - ie the supply side. More properties for sale, meets demand. Not even close to this at the minute. No where near enough new properties getting built in areas where they are required.

I do agree with you - saving for a deposit is very difficult in certain areas and in certain circumstances - perhaps something could be done in this area that wouldn't have an direct impact on the cost of a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

You mean "can't drive prices upwards anymore"

I’ve been skeptical about saying there is a drop in the past few months, but the fact is Dublin prices have been dropping for 3 months in a row which hadn’t happened in a very long time.

The chart there is starting to show it clearly, so I think it’s fair to say that at least for the past few months prices couldn’t be sustained in Dublin:

https://cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexjanuary2019/

Bob24 wrote: »
    I’ve been skeptical about saying there is a drop in the past few months, but the fact is Dublin prices have been dropping for 3 months in a row which hadn’t happened in a very long time.

The chart there is starting to show it clearly, so I think it’s fair to say that at least for the past few months prices couldn’t be sustained in Dublin:

https://cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexjanuary2019/

The absolute quietest months of the year for sales though?
    And still rising year on year......

There's probably a slowdown in certain areas. TBH nowhere near enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Runaude

I'm not seeing this slow down. I've seen various properties being sold in Dublin now within one/two weeks and when I've inquired about properties in Galway/Cork they are going sale agreed within the same time frame after being placed on daft. Once it's priced right they seem to be going quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Casual observation but market seems soft in Cork City. I bought in early 2016 and houses selling in similar price range. I kept an eye and Cork market was very strong into end of 2017 but definitely softened last year. This was 300k plus area. I think market has hit a ceiling of affordability. I think it is a good thing. I remember the crazy bidding back in Summer 2015. People biding up because afraid if they did not the house might be 10% dearer in 12 month's time. A stable market just has buyers acting more logically.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Runaude wrote: »
    I'm not seeing this slow down. I've seen various properties being sold in Dublin now within one/two weeks and when I've inquired about properties in Galway/Cork they are going sale agreed within the same time frame after being placed on daft. Once it's priced right they seem to be going quick.

It depends on the price bracket. Everyone here has repeated this point. Anything livable under 360k is selling well. Anything over has started coming down. Slight differences to that bracket based on areas. Ive seen a good few properties which went sale agreed last summer come back on the market this year at reduced prices.

Zenify wrote: »
    It depends on the price bracket. Everyone here has repeated this point. Anything livable under 360k is selling well. Anything over has started coming down. Slight differences to that bracket based on areas. Ive seen a good few properties which went sale agreed last summer come back on the market this year at reduced prices.
    Were those sale agreed properties actually sold and if so do you know the price?
    Theres no reason in the current market that someone who bought a house last year for a verified figure would advertise it for less than that figure this year unless they had been advised to set the amv relatively low to garner interest and set off a bidding war.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Tipp here and houses flying atm. Local house sold recently for just under half a million...to be honest, I was stunned. Feel it’s a sign that slow down may come

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kippy wrote: »

The slowdown is beginning to radiate outwards from Dublin- and is evidenced in new developments in Wicklow, North Kildare and Meath (to say nothing of West Dublin).

There is still the year on year increase- which is down to construction inflation levels (understood to be 5%)- however, those year-on-year increases, are also falling- albeit not as starkly as the current month-on-month falls that we're seeing.

No matter what way you look at it- prices- both to purchase and also rental prices- cannot be justified given the meager increases in wages/salaries that people have managed to procure over the last few years- quite simply, accommodation has, for most people, never been less affordable than it is now. I include the 2007 peak prices in this- for the simple reason- most people were on better wages back then- some sectors (such as the public sector)- are still netting around 15% less than peak- and that accounts for over a fifth of the workforce. If you're lucky and in IT or Finance- may you make hay while the sun shines, its not going to last forever..........

Our people have been bled dry- and whatever about shortages- affordability has never been worse than it now is.

The are the quietest months indeed, but again if you look at the chart the same drop pattern can’t be observed during same months for any of the previous years.

And by nature the YOY indicator is dampening short term movements, which makes it good to give a long term smothered view of the market but slow to acknowledge trend reversals.

I’m not saying things can’t pick up, they certainly can. But factually what we can see on the chart for Dublin is the strongest drop sequence we have seen since the beginning of the recovery, so I think it is worth paying attention.

Were those sale agreed properties actually sold and if so do you know the price?
    Theres no reason in the current market that someone who bought a house last year for a verified figure would advertise it for less than that figure this year unless they had been advised to set the amv relatively low to garner interest and set off a bidding war.

No they weren't actually sold just sale agreed. They had massive bidding wars and went way above asking price and are now back on the market with no current offers. It's so strange and you would have to ask where are all the other bidders that were interested? Surely they would have just gone to the next bidder if it fell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

No they weren't actually sold just sale agreed. They had massive bidding wars and went way above asking price and are now back on the market with no current offers. It's so strange and you would have to ask where are all the other bidders that were interested? Surely they would have just gone to the next bidder if it fell though.

I find that interesting. I didn't start bidding until January of this year. Bid on 2 houses (3 beds, 3 baths) that went above asking price after bidding wars. I asked the EA to keep me on the underbidder's list, but I haven't heard anything back yet. We have now decided we can only pursue 2 bed, 2 bath houses as they are still getting bids over their asking prices and edging up into our price range.

I find that interesting. I didn't start bidding until January of this year. Bid on 2 houses (3 beds, 3 baths) that went above asking price after bidding wars. I asked the EA to keep me on the underbidder's list, but I haven't heard anything back yet. We have now decided we can only pursue 2 bed, 2 bath houses as they are still getting bids over their asking prices and edging up into our price range.

What area and price range?

What area and price range?

North Wicklow area, 300-350k price range

North Wicklow area, 300-350k price range

It's the price range. I'm talking a little higher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Global market slump as fears of a slowdown grow

Rumblings again today. S&P down 1.5% so far. I think we may well go into recession in the next year. Those of us patiently waiting may get rewarded. I think we've hit the peak in house prices for the time being. Time to drop! I may get stung by waiting but I think the risk of buying at these prices and seeing prices drop is greater than the risk of not buying now and house prices keep going up.

The 10 year - 3 month yield curve inverted today...it has predicted almost all recessions...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Global market slump as fears of a slowdown grow

Rumblings again today. S&P down 1.5% so far.

Yeah, it's down 1.5% today, back to where it was last Friday after which it grew all week...

It's easy to frame things in a certain way if you look at a very narrow subset of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Amirani wrote: »
    Yeah, it's down 1.5% today, back to where it was last Friday after which it grew all week...

It's easy to frame things in a certain way if you look at a very narrow subset of data.

1.5% drops are not normal business. Something spooks it like it did in December when we were getting 2% drops a day.

Did you even read my link?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We may be at the peak- however, the supplyside issues in particular (in an Irish context) will cushion falls to a far greater extent than happened back in 2007-2008 (when the overhang on the market sunk us). We are not satisfying demand- we're getting better- but pentup demand in particular areas (look at Dublin (in general) and Cork and Galway (Galway seems to be staggeringly undersupplied)- means prices are not going to fall off a cliff.

We already have moderation in a national context to construction inflation levels (in or around 5%)- and small but sustained falls in some areas (North Kildare, West Dublin, parts of D4/D6 etc). Nothing of significance is happening- its all slow, glacial paced, movements.

If I were a first time buyer and were ready to buy, I'd be inclined to wait and see what happens. However, as a second time buyer if prices drop it'll do me no favours really. The property I own in West Dublin will again depreciate lower and faster than the property I want to buy in North Wicklow. So, I'm inclined to go ahead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Amirani wrote: »

Europe is a complete mess, America is carrying the global economy on its own right now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

hmmm wrote: »

Whats the point of a pension if you want to take money out of it. Thats called a savings account

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There's no way they'd allow access to pensions. They'd be cleared out and the burden would fall on the State in 30/40/however many years.

We may be at the peak- however, the supplyside issues in particular (in an Irish context) will cushion falls to a far greater extent than happened back in 2007-2008 (when the overhang on the market sunk us). We are not satisfying demand- we're getting better- but pentup demand in particular areas (look at Dublin (in general) and Cork and Galway (Galway seems to be staggeringly undersupplied)- means prices are not going to fall off a cliff.

We already have moderation in a national context to construction inflation levels (in or around 5%)- and small but sustained falls in some areas (North Kildare, West Dublin, parts of D4/D6 etc). Nothing of significance is happening- its all slow, glacial paced, movements.

And yet there are houses in Dublin laying in the market since last summer, now starting to drop their asking prices.
    So clearly there is not an under supply in Dublin anyway.

bubblypop wrote: »
    And yet there are houses in Dublin laying in the market since last summer, now starting to drop their asking prices.

Same in North Wicklow. Excluding the 3 or 4 bed, 3 bath houses that are the most desirable. Apartments, duplexes, bungalows are the harder sell and seem to be lingering for a while for dropping their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

The housing market isn't straightforward supply - demand. Demand is mediated by access to credit. That is now the pressure point as for the higher end of the market prices can no longer rise sustainably at a rate higher than wage increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Some houses are just undesirable because they aren't what people are looking for or because the vendor believes their value is higher than it actually is... Not all houses will sell immediately, that is not a reflection on the market, more to do with individual circumstances... Plus, people want the best house for them, particularly in an expensive market...

• Advertisement

It is not contradictory to have items which take a while to sell while supply is constrained.

For exemple I could have a very rare edition of a Beatles record for which only 10 copies exist in the world, and leave it on sale at a very high price for months because I know no one else is currently selling the same and rather than selling quickly I prefer to wait for a wealthy collector to give in as they have no other option. Extremely constrained supply but selling takes a while because I am not in a rush to sell and I believe that since the market is constrained I’d better not rush things to get the most benefit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement