Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House in a bad state.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    No they pay 1250 a month towards rent but they don't pay deposit or any money up front. So she had to pay the 6k up front but she would or should get back 2250 off the landlord after 2 months because he would of received 2 months upfront already as well as been paid the HAP for them 2 months.

There is a solid case to be made that in hindsight (with 20/20 vision) she should not have agreed to move in in the first place. There is a couple of thousand euros of work required to bring that property up to standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

How was the 6k paid?

Bank Transfer? Cheque?

I would see about reversing this transaction with whatever financial institution was involved.

However, as long as she does not move in, they have the upper hand. But if she moves in, she has the upper hand. It takes a long time to get someone out in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

It wouldnt 1000”s at all. Dublin prices might be different, however it would be about 350-400 for 2 people to clean the place for 8 hours. This would include industrial cleaning material to do fridge,microwave oven etc. Not sure if you can do much for couch, they can lightly clean it however you didnt mention they agreed to replace it so your stuck with that. Leak on ceiling can be repainted for circa 100e pending no more leaks, plumber can be pricey depending on extent of leak. Rubbish can be removed for 100.

What did the ea say when you made contact with them.

I would also not recommend putting pics online in case you need to go to rtb with this.anything that can self identify you toward the agency etc will not help your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Fol20 wrote: »
    It wouldnt 1000”s at all. Dublin prices might be different, however it would be about 350-400 for 2 people to clean the place for 8 hours. This would include industrial cleaning material to do fridge,microwave oven etc. Not sure if you can do much for couch, they can lightly clean it however you didnt mention they agreed to replace it so your stuck with that. Leak on ceiling can be repainted for circa 100e pending no more leaks, plumber can be pricey depending on extent of leak. Rubbish can be removed for 100.

What did the ea say when you made contact with them.

I would also not recommend putting pics online in case you need to go to rtb with this.anything that can self identify you toward the agency etc will not help your case.

Mould as well. Couches we agreed to be removed. Drawers all of them in the kitchen are broken beyond repair.

Issue is currently been sorted but won't be fully sorted until Monday i think she's agreeing to be evicted at a cost of 1 months rent with the rest refunded to her. Appaeently the agent had no idea it was that bad....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Mould as well. Couches we agreed to be removed. Drawers all of them in the kitchen are broken beyond repair.

Issue is currently been sorted but won't be fully sorted until Monday i think she's agreeing to be evicted at a cost of 1 months rent with the rest refunded to her. Appaeently the agent had no idea it was that bad....

She should be insisting on getting the whole lot back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Browney7 wrote: »
    She should be insisting on getting the whole lot back!

Absolutely, why should he be 2 grand better off. Is he gonna use to do the place up.
    Wouldn't be letting him off, get all the money back

I would not accept that. Wait for them to give as much money back as possible. Do not sign any forms in case you are accepting liability of 1months rent. Once you get back 4k and you see it in your bank account. Then raise a dispute with rtb. If the place is in that type of condition that you say its in, and the agency agrees(try and get this in writing) then you should be entitled to everything back. If you start to raise the dispute like this with them now. They may retain more than one months rent so be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,572 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Opening post. I was like ... Ovens dirty just clean it. And there's no mould there just a greasy dirty wall

However the floor behind that bed . That is mould. That is serious and no one should sleep in that room for any length of time before that's sorted.

Mould of that scale is a silent Illness causer and has serious respiratory consequences that many people don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

According to my cousin she would be the first tenant as the landlord is only new to the scene.
    From looking at the pictures, I'd say the landlord has rented out the house without doing much work, if anything at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not a hope should 2k be gifted to the landlord / agent (they will be taking fees all along the way) for a few days in that kip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

There is standards for rented accommodation

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

Although the oven and grease is manky and should of been cleaned prior to moving in. Is there smoke, carbon alarms, fire blanket in kitchen?

*UPDATE

so she got off the phone. The agent said she was very sorry about the place and didnt relise how bad it was. The agent offered to clean the house from top to bottom that my cousin won't recognise it.
    My cousin stuck to her guns and refused politely and said she just wants out.
    The agent asked my cousin to drop the keys into her this afternoon and she will sort it for her in a few days and apologised again.

This is were it's abit tricky I told my cousin under no circumstances should she hand the keys over until officially been out of the agreement. She hasn't called the agent back to tell her this but am I right in thinking this way?

*UPDATE

so she got off the phone. The agent said she was very sorry about the place and didnt relise how bad it was. The agent offered to clean the house from top to bottom that my cousin won't recognise it.
    The agent asked my cousin to drop the keys into her this afternoon and she will sort it for her in a few days and apologised again.

This is were it's abit tricky I told my cousin under no circumstances should she hand the keys over until officially been out of the agreement. She hasn't called the agent back to tell her this but am I right in thinking this way?

The agent seems reasonable?

Out, and minus all the money?

the_syco wrote: »
    Out, and minus all the money?

She is getting the money back I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

*UPDATE

What about the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

*UPDATE

No email trail or any confirmation of where she stands money wise?

Nothing mentioned money wise. Reason I told her not to hand over any keys.
    I might have to go see the agent with her later she doesn't like confrontation and doesn't handle it well.
    Plus I don't understand how the agreement can just end with her handing over the keys surely signatures must be involved somewhere from her

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No email trail or any confirmation of where she stands money wise?

Funny enough they never reply back by emails even before she agreed to take the house. All over phone or in person.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Funny enough they never reply back by emails even before she agreed to take the house. All over phone or in person.
    If thats the case then confirm the conversation pojnts back in an email!

• Advertisement

Get it in writing.
    If your cousin refuses to hand back the keys & stays, the agent will not have to refund her anything. If she breaks the lease and leaves, without a written acceptance by the EA, your cousin may not receive much back.

Agent said shes refusing to end the tenancy.
    Also only wanted keys to get them cut . She said she has 28days to make the place liveable
    Is that right?
    You could tear down the house and rebuild it but my cousin won't move in now the relationship is toxic and she doesn't trust them don't understand why they don't agree to mutually end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

She needs to lodge an RTB case straight away. The house is supposed to be habitable before a tenant moves in, not 28 days after! I'd also report the agent to the PRSA

Final update.
    She got a full refund and tenancy has been voided.
    But was told it will be put back up for rent on daft this week.
    Pity the poor family who will take it in that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Final update.

Good news, woe betide who ever accepts that place as acceptable at that price.

p.s. if you find it on daft share the link so we can see the pics he posts.

Final update.

Thats great news! some times if you annoy them enough especially at the beginning of the tenancy, the ll just say to themself, its not worth it, f*** off and ill get someone else and give back your money. I did this once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

She's getting 2k a month from hap yet is able to fork out 6k upfront, what in the name of christ is going on here??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

shamrock55 wrote: »
    She's getting 2k a month from hap yet is able to fork out 6k upfront, what in the name of christ is going on here??

That 6 k could literally be every euro they have - but handed over in desperation to land a place.

We just dont know.

My understanding is that the income limits are NET not gross.

And are higher in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Just to answer the last couple of posts without quoting.

That's om my 5 pics there's another 83 just like it for all over the house.
    Doesn't include photos and videos of broken stuff.
    Mould is a bigger issue as well
    Plus the water tank looks like it's leaking looking at the pic below.

She's on HAP you can earn a certain amount and be on HAP. She also has savings which a good chunk was taken out on this deposit.

She's devastated. She's going to a solicitor the agency is dragging there feet saying there's nothing they can do she's already signed the agreement

Mould is dangerous. If that is on ceilings & walls, health & breathing issues may emerge. Can have life devastating effects!

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »

She's getting 1250 on HAP.
    She's to pay 10percent of her wages to the council every month for this as well as make up 550euro to give the landlord. So about 800euro a month in rent she would be paying. She's also a single mother without any child support from the father.
    If she wanted she could get a council house And never work a day in her life again. but she would rather earn a living then be giving everything for nothing.

And as I've said before the 6k is her savings it's near all she had and is facing homelessness. 6k is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things it goes very quickly

Advertisement