Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maps

• 01-03-2019 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

I had a summer job in the 90's cleaning the old phone boxes in the Leinster area, I want to do a cycle retracing the locations. Does anybody know if any government department or private society might have records of these locations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Seanachai wrote: »
    Does anybody know if any government department or private society might have records of these locations?

Your best bet would be to locate an enthusiasts club. At the split of P&T in 1978, phoneboxes passed to Telecom Eireann, then in 1999 there was an IPO and the company became Eircom. Then it was delisted (Valentia/O’Reilly) and returned to the market in 2004. It then was bought by Babcocks (which later collapsed) and then became Eircom Holdings. Aside from that it was split internally into several entities at different times – e.g. Eircell, Meteor, etc. Gone 40 years from Govt. Dept., multiple relocations, staff sheddings, I’d be surprised if any maps/paper trail existed in 'official' sector.

Advertisement