Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comet NeoWise

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

And you’re out of here ......

Buy that man a drink.

Oriel chose to pitch his tent in this forum of late since he was run out of the Astronomy one after being shown to know very little of what he's talking about. He was put to shame by other posters there who paragraph by paragraph debunked each of his ramblings. He came here thinking he'd get an easy ride from people with less understanding of astrophysics and orbital rotations, though that backfired on him too.

Glad to see the back of him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Do ye think it would be possible to see it from a city, with the light pollution and buildings?
    Should I take a walk? It's partially cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Do ye think it would be possible to see it from a city, with the light pollution and buildings?
    Should I take a walk? It's partially cloudy.

I'm in very dark countryside and it's only visible to me as a very very faint blur.
    I'd say you'd be clutching at straws, especially with cloud cover.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Yes, just in from my daily attempt to find Neowise, only possible with binoculars this evening here, probably can be seen naked-eye in the very darkest rural settings with no high cloud or light pollution (I have a bit of both unfortunately).

Was a good event though.

Is it really an insult to be called a follower of Isaac Newton? I don't feel that insulted actually.

Oriel seemed to have some kind of an issue with the two different frames of reference that modern astronomy has developed. It's worth mentioning what these are, along with the fact that I never thought of myself as a proponent or an enthusiast for either of them.

One frame of reference is equatorial, and deals with "right ascension" as longitude and "declination" as latitude.

The other frame is ecliptic, and uses celestial longitude and latitude. The Sun is (for the purposes of this discussion) always at zero latitude because the ecliptic plane is our orbital plane, and the Sun is the centre of that (it does wobble slightly due to gravitational perturbations, on a very small scale). On June 21st at the summer solstice, the Sun is at its highest declination of the year (23.4 deg N) but at zero deg latitude. The two longitude systems begin at the vernal equinox and I believe they will stay at the 1900 epoch location of it through the centuries, as the Sun's apparent orbital nodes change (it's the earth's orbital nodes actually changing, but against the system being used, it appears that the Sun is shifting).

I know Oriel didn't like that concept and he associated it with Newton, then when he discovered I was more or less following orthodox astronomy in my research, he decided I was part of the Newton problem.

All I can say is, I understand the two systems and tend to use R.A. and dec more than lat-long. That doesn't mean that I am a "proponent" of either system, like you if I want to take part in scientific discussions, I need to understand the frames of reference being used in them. Otherwise we have anarchy where anyone can impose any system they want and discuss things as if other people knew about that system.

The irony is that even my basic interest in astronomy puts me rather at odds with the weather community who are dead set against external drivers in this day and age.

Anyway, today make a note that the earth is in the position that the Sun-Jupiter-Saturn alignment will take up mid-October. We passed Jupiter on the 14th and Saturn on the 20th. In about three months, they will reach the same heliocentric longitude -- the one we are at today. They won't quite appear aligned to us because of parallax, we will be off at right angles to that alignment, and one-fifth of the distance from the Sun compared to Jupiter (one-tenth compared to Saturn). They will appear most closely aligned in December as we swing back around towards their alignment vector which will begin to move away from the Sun as Jupiter overtakes Saturn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Calibos wrote: »
    Any seasoned amateur astronomer in Ireland will quickly learn that all time limited astronomical events will be clouded out for the entire duration. If its a 5 minute thing, it'll be clouded out for that specific 5 mins. It its an hour thing it'll be clouded out for that hour. One night thing? Cloudy or that night only, week maximum for meteor shower? Cloudy all week. Comet visible for a few weeks?......................Guys, we won't be seeing the sky or Sun till August I am afraid. This comet is a Harbinger of Gloom
    jogdish wrote: »
    Wanted to ask, are we still able to see the comet much ? when does it vanish from naked eye visibility ?
    I'm in very dark countryside and it's only visible to me as a very very faint blur.
    I'd say you'd be clutching at straws, especially with cloud cover.

Neowise exactly followed the Murphys Law of Irish Astronomy and Weather. :D

3 Months of Clear Skies...Best Northern Hemisphere comet in nearly a quarter of a Century arrives...6+ weeks of Cloud during the Comets Naked eye phase. :D

I jest and exaggerate of course. Many of you had more clear skies and had wonderful naked eye views but for those that did/didn't it was very much hit/miss with a lot of right/wrong place, right/wrong time. The 2 clear sky nights I had at the end of the naked eye phase were a bust when I discovered it was lost in the Dublin Sky Glow from my perspective in Bray and with Binoculars it was lost behind two feckin cranes from my perspective in my Back Yard :D Arrgghhh!! (Didn't feel like a walk to the Seafront at 2am in the morning)

Still, it re-sparked my interest in Astronomy and the hobby and I dug out a small portion of my gear that was mothballed and buried a decade ago and was thrilled to find several house and wardrobe moves hadn't wrecked any of it. For example, I bought an old S/H Nexstar 102GT Tripod/Goto (without scope) right when life, health etc got in the way of the hobby for me. For Neowise I dug it out, affixed my Stellarvue F3.7 80mm Finderscope from my 16" GOTO Dob onto the Nexstar, watched a few Youtube Videos about Nexstar GT Star Alignment and the hand control functions etc and ended up getting surprisingly fantastic views of Saturn and Jupiter in such a small scope especially given they are at their lowest altitude in Sagittarius and subject to the worst potential 'Seeing'. Point is, the hardware fiddling/modding (which I always enjoyed nearly as much as the observing) and observing reminded me why I got into the hobby in the first place. I think I'm ready to jump back into the hobby with gusto again.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

Gave it one last go last night to drive an hour out of Dublin and luckily getting an hour of mostly clear skies. Had to use binoculars but very clear view of Neowise with that. About the same or slightly clearer than the photos I took, like the attached.

Had that same view eight hours later here, by then the comet made a "ten to six" pattern with those two faint stars (faint to naked eye), found a useful procedure for you binocular users to consider, focus on the crescent moon before looking at anything else, you'll find it easier to focus your view as the Moon tells you right away about focus issues.

Moon will be out a bit longer this evening (here, I think most of you are clouded out) and in a few more days, gibbous nearly full moon phase near Jupiter and Saturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

Had that same view eight hours later here, by then the comet made a "ten to six" pattern with those two faint stars (faint to naked eye), found a useful procedure for you binocular users to consider, focus on the crescent moon before looking at anything else, you'll find it easier to focus your view as the Moon tells you right away about focus issues.

Moon will be out a bit longer this evening (here, I think most of you are clouded out) and in a few more days, gibbous nearly full moon phase near Jupiter and Saturn.

Thanks for that great tip on the focussing. In fact I could also use that on my camera zoom lens (manual focus only as it’s via a lens adapter) to get proper focus on stars. The lens allows a little variability in infinity focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

One of mine from last week. Neowise silhouetted by my friend's son at the top of the Sugar Loaf.
    521266.jpg

Had a quick look out the back for it here in D11 with binoculars, found it but only to be a smudge now with a slight hue of green. Probably still looks a bit more impressive from a dark location , and possibly then too still in camera long exposures.

• Advertisement
Advertisement