Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Considering we have some of the world's highest paid bus drivers a bit if healthy competition could be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

If, as you claim, we have a high wage for bus driving, then why isn't there a stampede to fill bus driver positions? The shortage has been ongoing for years now. It's obviously not the money that's the issue.

The service is poor enough at times without looking to dilute driver wages.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BusGuy

Can we just note that when the 46A and the 39A is going to be removed, Dublin is going to be BusDisconnected by all these pointless routes, like stated on page 389?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Qrt

If I were to pick the current network or the network of ten years ago, I’d take the current. The improvements are astronomical

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

You must acknowledge that both The B-Spine & The E-Spine gives me a huge benefit in bus connectivity because I live between those 2 spines in South Dublin.

If both of those spines are offering 24 hour routes for their Spines in the near future. I wholeheartedly agree with the positive comments posted here about the network redesign project that the latter of the 2 networks on offer to me and everyone else who lives here will be provided with a vastly superior bus service within this part of South Dublin. These new routes will be much better as opposed to the former which only mostly ends around midnight during every night of the week (apart from some of the weekend Nitelink routes of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kiteview

How exactly are they “diluting driver wages” when they are raising drivers wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I never suggested that. My comment was in reply to the previous post which did suggest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Sounds like somebody so used to the arrangement already existing that they don't even want to think of alternative options, even if they may be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Those pay increases were well below the rate of inflation. When inflation is running at 8% and you get a 3% pay "rise" you're effectively getting a 5% pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chucklebrothers.com

The money is not bad for bus driving in relation to other driving jobs but its not out of this world either.

The high turnover of staff is mostly down to working conditions when people find out what rotating shifts are really like not to mention the mental stress and strain of driving a bus through dublin every day they soon go back to whatever job they were previously doing or a different driving job with better work life balance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Welcome to pretty much 90% of jobs. Very few people are getting pay increases that are coming anywhere close to keeping up with inflation!

Not true. Wages in other sectors are rising much faster. The minimum wage rise by 12% this year alone. There's money for everything else so why should bus drivers take a hit to their standard of living? Increase the pay and the driver "shortage" will disappear overnight.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Are you suggesting bus drivers should be paid the minimum wage?!

In the private sector, very few people are getting pay raises that come anywhere near inflation.

Of course, I've no issue with bus drivers getting paid more, but it won't fix the driver shortage, which is more to do with anti-social hours, schedules, skills, etc.

That's pure nonsense. Do you really think that if wages increased substantially there wouldn't be an update in applications ?

Also in many trades and professions wages are increasing way beyond the rates if inflation. Have you tried to find an electrician lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Well, tolerance to these negative factors (you call them the reasons) is also measured of how big the reward is. The more disadvantages of work there are, the bigger the expectations (wages).

I think it's safe to say that the 44D is to be assigned to the WS branch, as according to bustimes.org Today and yesterday they were on the WS. Monday's schedule for the 44D was canceled. We could see a 44A soon if 44 and 44D passengers get very full, and increased frequency, and also the 06:35 service gets more passengers and both services can't take any more passengers. Holy Cross Church bus stop in Dundrum was filled with passengers taking the 44 to O'Connell Street. (The bus was not terminating at DCU) (Although the chances are very low of this happening, this route takes responsibility for better frequency.)

Again, 44A could have the same schedule as the 44, but every 30 min until 21:00. 1 hour from then until 23:00, then the last service at 23:30. 44A from UCD to DCU This route could go via

UCD,

UCD Newman Building (Connection to S4)

UCD Sports Centre (Connection to the infrequent 142, and S4),

Gledswood Drive (Connection to 11, S4),

Bird Avenue (Connection to 142,11, S4),

Bird Avenue (Connection to S4, 142),

Millmount Terrace (Connection to S4,44D,44,142)

and continue the 44 route to O'Connell Street, then travel to

Dominick Luas,

Parnell Square West, stop 10

then...

Upper Dorset Street

then...

Dorset Street Lower

Innisfallen Parade

Drumcondra Rail Stn, stop 17

Dargle Road

Botanic Avenue, stop 19

DCU St Patrick's, Stop 21

DCU St Patrick’s, stop 7602

and terminate. Then do the same by following the 44 to Sandford Road, then following the 11 to AIB UCD, then turning left into the UCD Sports Centre into UCD following the S4. I think the 44A will be a great addition to travelers traveling from UCD to DCU. This route is going to be pretty annoying since it can't avoid Dorset Street (which is beside the Children's Hospital) but it can't also avoid Sandford Road which is getting traffic very often, and also causing delays.

However the UCD Bus Park needs a renovation ASAP because when the 142 buses arrive the S4 buses can't have a place to stop which is very annoying, so it seems likely that there is going to be a new bus stop beside the bus park to accommodate these 142 buses. Yes, there is no point because the 142 is going to be removed due to busConnects, so this bus stop is going to be removed and the S4 is going to be moved to the ex-142 bus stop.

Just a quick note that the housing thing at Dominick needs to be sorted out before launching the 44A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭john boye

So the 44D has a minibus on it and you think it needs a frequency boost. K

It's only 3 times a day, 06:35, 07:30, and 17:28. Why not round it to 17:30 then 18:30?

The 44 itself is one hell of a route. It travels through the whole of Dublin. (sorry for swearing)

Post edited by BusGuy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I know the 44 is a very long route for some people to use for travel or commuting purposes. I have not travelled the whole length of the route myself as I have only travelled on some parts of it between Dundrum & Westland Row and between O'Connell St & Drumcondra before Covid.

However I don't understand the logic in how your proposal for the 44a would work in reality without an appropriate level of funding from the NTA. The NTA & Dublin Bus would probably say to you from either an email or social media post that they wouldn't even have the resources to even run the route properly as they are prioritising new electric buses and drivers for BusConnects instead. The NTA CEO Anne Graham even said recently that the agency has been struggling with significant levels of under funding for strategic infrastructure projects when used for bus & rail projects right around the country.

The entire length of the 44 in my view has the structure of looking very much like a high frequency spine route in all but name.

Although it's existence doesn't justify what the other spine routes in BusConnects provide in when you look at similar routes around Dublin. To put this into context; a large part of Dublin's legacy bus routes are currently structured to have a similar length like the 44. Although a lot of these other routes of similar lengths to this route, including older radial routes in recent years, have or currently offering a much higher level of frequency to people who live around the GDA. That is not sustainable for a modern capital city Dublin. The 44's own frequency offered right now is really a joke compared to the other bus services.

This is why I think BusConnects was the main issue was trying to address in how it was going to become a much stronger network in the near future. The old bus network in Dublin over the years has had a real lack of focus in how it can provide a sustainable bus service to it's inhabitants while it was secretly creaking under the cracks. It needed a big kick up the backside in how it was going to provide a much better service for the people of Dublin and it's surrounding areas.

And we are seeing some of those improvements taking place very slowly around some areas of the capital with some great success stories that could see great potential in future. The rollout of the O route very soon in my view is going to become a very crucial indicator in how it will become a success or a failure for other PT users in Dublin. If the O route has similar levels of success as to what was achieved for the N4 at this point in time and compliments other modes of PT really well within the capital. It will be the start of a extremely huge rebirth for PT users in Dublin in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

What building work at Dominick ? There are no bus routes on Dominick street, and one LUAS stop ; its where a LUAS tunnel should emerge, if the Green line had been built properly, but thats a different story.

dublinman1990>> I think it's really important here if the NTA thinks that taking the bus is not the only thing in Ireland. Let's take Carrickmines and Laughanstown LUAS stops. There are 4 stops in total, of which 2 are in service and 2 are out of service and left abandoned. I think NTA's budget for BusConnects here is useless, as requesting more money from the Government will put Ireland in more and more debt, which we already spent €2bn on the new Children's Hospital! So, I think the Government is going crazy on the money here without noticing it.

trellheim>> Again, the housing issue at Dominick needs to be sorted out first before launching the 44A. What is the point of a LUAS bridge? The Green Line/Red Line section is rigged anyway as too much people just think it is a good idea to put their bloody feet on the tracks while a tram is coming and the Gardaí wont even do something, and the Red Line trams' honk instead of ringing the bell every 25 minutes, but to improve that more €€€ needs to be spent to make that happen. Ireland itself is a very high crime-rate country, take for example the riots that happened in November, it's heard that we lost 3 PAs doing the C-spine and 1 LUAS tram was burnt down. Too bad that the NTA, TFI, Dublin Bus, Gardaí, and all these services just co-op to make this not happen again. Everything that comes in here €€€ is required.

I think generally here we need to realize that nothing comes for free, and also, we are already too much in debt. I don't wanna put this into a financial debate but I think we need to realize the costs of everything.

Debt will stand at €223 billion at the end of 2023 with the pandemic adding €13 billion, Dáil Public Accounts Committee (PAC) told.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Ireland is an incredibly wealthy country. What really matters is the ability to service it, which Ireland is well able to do. We can also borrow money for well below the rate of inflation, which actually means we pay back less than we borrow in real terms.

Ireland is also absolutely not a high crime country.

I'm honestly not sure what the rest of your post is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Can we at least try and keep this discussion within the bounds of reality, and within the framework of the actual plan itself?

I don't know why certain posters seem to want to make it up as they go along.

We already know what is going to happen.

The 44d is a temporary route until the final phase of BusConnects happens. It's purpose is to offer additional capacity along the Ranelagh-Dundrum corridor following the withdrawal of the 61.

The final phase of BusConnects will see the southside part of route 44 and route 44d replaced by routes 87 and 88, both of which will run hourly. The northside element of the 44 to/from DCU will be replaced by the A3 when the A Spine launches (likely next year according to NTA correspondence with local politicians).

The 87 will run from Mountjoy Square to Belarmine, and the 88 will run from Mountjoy Square to Enniskerry via Belarmine, between them offering a co-ordinated half-hourly service between the city centre and Belarmine.

Talk about an imaginary 44a is just that, fantasy.

POST REMOVED DUE TO DISCUSSION CLOSED

Post edited by BusGuy on

I just meant the Discussion that I created lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

So the shortage of bus drivers is evidence that they haven't received adequate pay increases but the shortage of electricians is evidence that they have received good pay increases?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Please leave the moderating to the moderators.

Advertisement