Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't decide! Garmin 830 or Wahoo Roam

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I had the 520, the buttons worked , but they were tedious. I tried wahoo for a day, it seemed slow , from what I understand, they are slow to update the firmware. I also didn’t like the look of it- it looks clumsy. I wanted the mapping options, so went with the 830, I thought I’d hate the touchscreen, boy was I wrong. The touchscreen makes everything easy to set up, the new processor is extremely fast. The screen and mapping is easy to read (although I do need to wear my glasses) it’s easy to set up profiles and screens, it uploads very fast , turn by turn navigation is excellent. I really cannot fault it, they have upped their game, they have also made it so it can take more upgrades down the line, plus I have lots of apps on it. 830 all the way, €20 voucher and 12.5% off at cycle superstore with your Ci licence- I paid about 330, they have €15 off fir being a loyalty customer or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

I had the 520, the buttons worked , but they were tedious. I tried wahoo for a day, it seemed slow , from what I understand, they are slow to update the firmware. I also didn’t like the look of it- it looks clumsy. I wanted the mapping options, so went with the 830, I thought I’d hate the touchscreen, boy was I wrong. The touchscreen makes everything easy to set up, the new processor is extremely fast. The screen and mapping is easy to read (although I do need to wear my glasses) it’s easy to set up profiles and screens, it uploads very fast , turn by turn navigation is excellent. I really cannot fault it, they have upped their game, they have also made it so it can take more upgrades down the line, plus I have lots of apps on it. 830 all the way, €20 voucher and 12.5% off at cycle superstore with your Ci licence- I paid about 330, they have €15 off fir being a loyalty customer or something.

Yeah looking forward to seeing what the 530 is like, only difference is like you said the touchscreen on the 830 so good to hear the positives regarding speed & navigation. Enjoy the new toy 😀

BobbyT28

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had the 520, the buttons worked , but they were tedious. I tried wahoo for a day, it seemed slow , from what I understand, they are slow to update the firmware.

Wahoo is definitely slower on display of numbers compared to the Garmins, a slight but noticeable difference but the Garmins are more prone to crashing anecdoetally. No difference in the numbers on upload as far as I can tell, just on display at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CramCycle wrote: »
    Wahoo is definitely slower on display of numbers compared to the Garmins, a slight but noticeable difference but the Garmins are more prone to crashing anecdoetally. No difference in the numbers on upload as far as I can tell, just on display at the time.
    Not going to defend Garmin, but in fairness, they've far more devices out there. Wahoo definitely in the minority, even compared to the 530, never mind the whole Garmin range.

There's nothing wrong with my Bolt, but there's enough irritations with it (turn by turn only in certain software/ calorie burned without a power meter the two main ones) that keeps making me wanting to justify a change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with my Bolt, but there's enough irritations with it (turn by turn only in certain software/ calorie burned without a power meter the two main ones) that keeps making me wanting to justify a change.

As a matter of interest, comparing the Bolt to the 520 or 530, is turn by turn not file specific unless you auto reroute? It been awhile but I used to remember the Wahoo flashing lights to the left or right if that's where I was going but I don't pay enough attention so could be wrong. Not sure what the issue with the calorie burned thing is, is that not what loads of them do, take your height, weight and give a guesstimate?

I'll be honest, I like that Wahoo, despite being slow to integrate stuff, has a load of cool side projects such as I can display my blood sugars on the screen as a data field when I upgrade my CGM next year. I am in no way tied to it, I've just had better experiences with Wahoo than Garmin from a customer point of view but I don't actually think its better, it just suits my needs. I would go for a Polar or Suunto in the morning if they looked cool and done what I wanted.

The slowness would be annoying if you are really anal about timing on training spins but I'm not but I could see a lot of my clubmates not tolerating it, I would be more annoyed with it crashing than it's display update speed.

Most importantly, the Wahoo looks way cooler than the Garmin, and I'll die on that hill.

• Advertisement

It could be user error, but turn by turn only works for me with RidewithGPS or Kamoot. Strava doesn't give turn by turn. Importing into Ridewithgps, and then syncing on doesn't give turn by turn. I've even had issues using other peoples RidewithGPS routes. To be guaranteed, I have to create them myself. 530 and 830 (and Roam in fairness) have the mapping on the device, so as I understand, it doesn't matter.

I accept the calorie burn thing is a personal thing (a consequence of tracking), but Wahoo continues to way over estimate compared to my Garmin watch, despite the same weight, height and heart rate zones. Before they finally just went with kj = calories when using a power meter, it could be over 1000 difference between kj and calories on my Saturday spin. People working to a weekly deficit, which I was, that's a serious dent. It took a few weeks of not seeing expected results for me to cop the difference. My Garmin watch has always been pretty similar to kj, but I trust the Garmin calculation after using the figures (across a few watches) as part of a weight loss strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭dahat

[QUOTE=Macy0161;115994928
    I accept the calorie burn thing is a personal thing (a consequence of tracking), but Wahoo continues to way over estimate compared to my Garmin watch, despite the same weight, height and heart rate zones. Before they finally just went with kj = calories when using a power meter, it could be over 1000 difference between kj and calories on my Saturday spin. People working to a weekly deficit, which I was, that's a serious dent. It took a few weeks of not seeing expected results for me to cop the difference. My Garmin watch has always been pretty similar to kj, but I trust the Garmin calculation after using the figures (across a few watches) as part of a weight loss strategy.[/QUOTE]

Last weekends road spins for have 2000 kcal & 2500kj approx. for each, same power meter & Wahoo headunit.

In terms of a deficit for weight loss which figure is more applicable? It's a huge forrence & i'm using kcl on MFP.

dahat wrote: »
    Last weekends road spins for have 2000 kcal & 2500kj approx. for each, same power meter & Wahoo headunit.

In terms of a deficit for weight loss which figure is more applicable? It's a huge forrence & i'm using kcl on MFP.
    I thought one of the updates the wahoo defaulted to calories = kj? My bolt does anyway. I use kj when I have a power meter (it's what I use from the turbo too), but part of me always wants to take a lower number!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

I thought one of the updates the wahoo defaulted to calories = kj? My bolt does anyway. I use kj when I have a power meter (it's what I use from the turbo too), but part of me always wants to take a lower number!

If you are in a weight loss mode probably always a better idea to go with the lower number.
    Fitness trackers and calorie burn are always going to be pure estimates and will never be accurate. But as long as they are consistently inaccurate they can give you a good metric for how much you are burning.

I have a spreadsheet that I use where I put in my MFP calories eaten every day, and weight every morning. Overtime as your weight changes it will give you a pretty accurate TDEE. I added in a column for what my apple watch was saying I burnt. If I had a lazy day it was pretty accurate but as you exercise more it rewards you a bit too much. It was roughly 15-20% high.

But at the end of the day I only used it as a metric for showing a consistent level of effort. I already knew from tracking calories and weight that my TDEE was approx 2700cal. So if I ate 2000-2200 average per day I should be in a good place to drop half a kg a week.

I liked the tracking and data aspect of it, but it does not lead to the healthiest relationship with food!

Thanks, but I've fairly good handle on it at this stage having gone from 120kg+ to 70kg-ish! But that was pretty much the method I used, and what I somewhat use in maintenance. Only I only updated TDEE weekly.

Having done it for so long is why I trust the Garmin calories, and not the Wahoo. But I'd still say kj = calorie is better than anything heart rate based, when you have a power meter*. There's efficiency rabbit holes you could go down, but it's as good as you're going to get, for cycling at least.

*a proper power meter or smart turbo, there's no way some of the spin bike "watts" are close to accurate in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Thanks, but I've fairly good handle on it at this stage having gone from 120kg+ to 70kg-ish! But that was pretty much the method I used, and what I somewhat use in maintenance. Only I only updated TDEE weekly.

Having done it for so long is why I trust the Garmin calories, and not the Wahoo. But I'd still say kj = calorie is better than anything heart rate based, when you have a power meter*. There's efficiency rabbit holes you could go down, but it's as good as you're going to get, for cycling at least.

*a proper power meter or smart turbo, there's no way some of the spin bike "watts" are close to accurate in my experience.

Wow great weight loss congrats, are you just riding and in a calorie deficit or are also doing other stuff? How long did it take you to lose?

I’m 40 in July and want to lose 20lbs before then

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

moved from Garmin 820 to Wahoo bolt and cant fault the wahoo

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

That is an unreal result. Congrats.

Way off topic, but... it popped up yesterday that I've been 8 years on My Fitness Pal, although I've been in maintenance in and around 70kg 2 years. NEAT way down with Covid/ WFH, so took a while to rebalance. I still track - as was mentioned, I'm not sure it's entirely healthy relationship for food, but works for me. It doesn't stop me eating out/ takeaways or influence choices in those rare circumstances. It never did. I always kept at least one beer and crisps night per week.

I did it in stages - drop to a target, and then a few months maintenance and then go again for another realistic target.

I'm really anti any extreme diets (particularly as so few have any scientific backing, never mind proper peer reviewed backing) - I did them on and off for years, but if you don't like it or it's too extreme I didn't stick to it. It is calories in v calories out for weight loss, because, Science. So tracking and sustainable changes to my diet rather than be on a diet, worked for me. But it's very individual what method of calorie deficit works - I could never do IF as I get hangry.

I have never excluded foods or food groups, including carbs/ bread/ chocolate/ beer/ crisps etc. I just exercise some portion control. Except for beer. At the start it was pretty much just portion control - weighing portions was certainly where reality bites into "my diet isn't bad".

Trying to order the garmin 530 from alltricks but getting a can’t be delivered to your address (ROI) due to restrictions. Anyone have any insight (I did a search on here but can’t find any info), is this across the board from alltricks?

Assuming I can’t get it from alltricks any other recommended stores? Argos have it for €270 but not in stock anywhere

Update, figured it out, had my postcode at 0000, once I updated to actual postcode it went through. For those interested paid €249 for the 530 (which includes Irish vat which I am happy to be paying :))

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    Update, figured it out, had my postcode at 0000, once I updated to actual postcode it went through. For those interested paid €249 for the 530 (which includes Irish vat which I am happy to be paying :))

That is good to know, I was having similar trouble during the week. Got p***ed off and used a different site:D.

Advertisement