Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People are leaving WhatsApp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Ah telegram that fateful service which was used by IS will now be frequented by far right Americans

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50545816
    Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Twitter will be next, its stocks value keep dropping.

Twitters share price is double right now what it was just 9 months ago...

Not going anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Let's say you express "unfashionable" views around say immigration, or BLM or any of the identity politics stuff. Or maybe you're just in a chat group with some who do.

Or maybe you exchanged some naughty texts or pictures with a girl you met on Tinder. Maybe you did so while still with someone else.

Or maybe you have an unusual fetish

That sort of thing can really damage any hopes you night have of public office or even employment if it got into the wrong hands.

Never out anything you wouldn't want on the 9 o clock news in electronic messaging or social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Let's say you express "unfashionable" views around say immigration, or BLM or any of the identity politics stuff. Or maybe you're just in a chat group with some who do.

Or maybe you exchanged some naughty texts or pictures with a girl you met on Tinder. Maybe you did so while still with someone else.

Or maybe you have an unusual fetish

That sort of thing can really damage any hopes you night have of public office or even employment if it got into the wrong hands.

Well if you did hold these views the last thing you should be using is main stream communications. Watapp/Viber/Telegram etc will all sell your data tomorrow morning for a few quid.

You would want to be a real gosh*t to use any of these platforms to share information like that. At the moment my groups are a mix of mates sharing what to watch on Netflix, another group talking about building house etc. The most mundane sh*t which to be fair 99% of people have the same stuff in them. No matter how exciting they actually think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Left it a long time ago.

Had enough of the content that was being shared of people getting killed and identities of every victim of crime in the country.

Never understood how organisations allow it to be used for official communications considering the nonsense that is GDPR.

Don’t miss it.

Came up with an interesting idea a while back and decided to use my phone to phone people and actually talk to them instead of sending a message. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

How can it be used against you?

There's a Netflix documentary you should watch "the social dilemma "

It essentially outlined how social media can influence peoples opinion, elections and even their own thinking... Fascinating to gain a better understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Ah telegram that fateful service which was used by IS will now be frequented by far right Americans

Not going anywhere

They used airplanes as well one day. Should we all never fly again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It could've been your keyboard app
    Yup, the way people use their computer/phone/tablet keyboards are another vector in AI fingerprinting/profiling.
    So consumers, keep using that amazing emoji laden Gboard and Google search suggestions via Google Chrome:mad: (or any other browser) - so handy!

We can only mitigate not eradicate and the amount who simply do not give a fck (uploading their contacts to FB or Twitter or Google or the metadata which is captured from WhatsApp chats for example) will help the profiling of ya even with no FB/Twitter/Google accounts, you're in there somewhere with the most important identifier, your phone number.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

paw patrol wrote: »
    my mate worked in whatsapp , they can't see the conversation text but do know your contacts and the groups you are a member of.

According to the new terms and conditions, if you are having a WhatsApp conversation with a business user, that conversation can be used for commercial purposes

It essentially outlined how social media can influence peoples opinion, elections and even their own thinking... Fascinating to gain a better understanding.

Im aware of all of that. All you need to see is how it is working in US politics. If you are in the US the ad's for politicians are not about the great work they are doing in the area just a bashing session about how s**t someone else is. "They hate the flag" type crap

To be honest Irish politics is quickly running down that path. It is very easy to spot which parties are using it and which are not

If you look at most of those campaigns to be fair it they target the weak minded people. The person who is more interested in what jacket someone wore with an English flag than what the person actually done day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Yea, that was a good watch.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11464826/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I would also recommend "The Great Hack" for a summary of the Facebook-Cambridge Analytica scandal.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4736550/

• Advertisement

Not going anywhere

I am sure they used a mobile phone as well, maybe an Apple one or Android, should we abandon mobiles phones? what if they eat Corn Flakes, should we stop eating cornflakes?

Do you know anyone who has donated to any platform ever?

Yes, many, including myself.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    If you don't pay for the product, you are the product
    Not strictly true as there is the GNU/Linux world ;) but yes, the <free> offerings from proprietry software companies are never free.

Signal is open source.
    I don't like the phone number requirement but I believe that may be changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Do WhatsApp's revised terms of service NOT apply to the EU and UK???

Not going anywhere

Twitter value on the stock market has dropped in the last few days, whatever trend they had in 2020 it has now been reversed.

Also, consider that Twitter is losing users and value while virtually competing with no one.
    Parler and Gab are being forcefully evicted from Apple/Amazon/Android platforms.
    Once they are back this may have an additional impact

Yes, many, including myself.

Seriously?
    Do they pay you back when they sell out for a couple of billion?
    All these products are made to try get stable enough and enough users so they can sell out to a Facebook etc, personally I prefer to invest my money in Gold

Do you know anyone who has donated to any platform ever?
    I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Left it a long time ago.

Had enough of the content that was being shared of people getting killed and identities of every victim of crime in the country.

Who shares that kinda stuff? I'd block one who tried sending me that stuff.
    First cat someone sends me they get blocked etc.
    Never understood how organisations allow it to be used for official communications considering the nonsense that is GDPR.

Don’t miss it.

Came up with an interesting idea a while back and decided to use my phone to phone people and actually talk to them instead of sending a message. Highly recommended.

Kinda hard if its a group of 200 like a sports team etc.

Giving your data to one company alone (Facebook/Instagram/WhatsApp) means giving mark Zuckerberg absolute control over data trading.
    Big tech monopoly is becoming a serious issue. Always better to maintain healthy competition for the benefit of consumers.

I'm not worried about what company is doing better over another, they can have at it. Convenience is king and if all these companies want some personal data in return then that's fine by me. I'm not up to anything illegal anyway.

Twitter value on the stock market has dropped in the last few days, whatever trend they had in 2020 it has now been reversed.

Also, consider that Twitter is losing users and value while virtually competing with no one.
    Parler and Gab are being forcefully evicted from Apple/Amazon/Android platforms.

Twitter is a cess pool of everything bad about the World.
    You have two users left
    Idiots who think they are the next Einsteins
    People who are getting paid to sell you the latest tampon
    Sorry three
    Politicians

You always know a platform is dead when a 60 year old politician from Mayo is using it

• Advertisement

Seriously?
    All these products are made to try get stable enough and enough users so they can sell out to a Facebook etc, personally I prefer to invest my money in Gold

If they eventually sell out we wil be free to go somewhere else

if all these companies want some personal data in return then that's fine by me. I'm not up to anything illegal anyway.

Mark Zuckerberg has policies to moderate content on FaceBook that are politically one-sided.
    What stops him from applying the same rules to private WhatsApp messages once no competitors are available on the market?

Supporting the competition is for our benefit

Twitter was on it's arse and in financial trouble pre-2017/18
    https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/twitters-turns-first-profit-but-problems-remain

Guess who came along?:pac:

Eh, what service is in the thread title?

Good lord...

And what services were being discussed?
    Both Signal, Whatsapp and Telegram are free. Signal rely on donations. Telegram is currently funded by its founder. Its possible for services to be offered for free with no strings attached, if you are referring to the strings being your personal information getting data-mined.

If they eventually sell out we wil be free to go somewhere else

and give them more money? you see a problem with your business model? not much return you are getting

I'm not worried about what company is doing better over another, they can have at it. Convenience is king and if all these companies want some personal data in return then that's fine by me. I'm not up to anything illegal anyway.
    That's what they rely on and it works.

And the last one should never be used as an excuse, seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I wonder did anyone who signed up for Telegram and Signal bother to read the Terms and Conditions on those platforms? I would have good odds not a single one did.

Loads of stupid people in the World who think they are clever and then confirm they are very stupid.

This was released in 2017 and is still true today. https://www.economist.com/leaders/2017/05/06/the-worlds-most-valuable-resource-is-no-longer-oil-but-data
    All of these platforms are just harvesting your information and then selling to the highest bidder. Boards would sell the information up here if it was actually worth anything

You clearly did not read any of them either before making your smug remark.

https://signal.org/legal/#terms-of-service
    Privacy of user data. Signal does not sell, rent or monetize your personal data or content in any way – ever.

Seriously?

Its a donation, not an investment. Im not looking for more money back off the young folks on the Trocaire box in a few years time after I give them money.

and give them more money? you see a problem with your business model? not much return you are getting

More competitors = healthy market

That's the return

you don't want to be left with no other options when the only app left is applying terms and condition that don't agree with you

• Advertisement

Mark Zuckerberg has policies to moderate content on FaceBook that are politically one-sided.
    What stops him from applying the same rules to private WhatsApp messages once no competitors are available on the market?

Supporting the competition is for our benefit

Watsapp is a messaging tool
    Plenty of alternatives
    If Facebook did try to do that then everyone would leave. Simple.

Advertisement