Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tenant Refusing To Pay Rent * MOD WARNING IN POST #1 *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

emeldc wrote: »
    I think the day is coming where you won’t be allowed to evict a tenant just to sell your property. You’ll have to sell it with a sitting tenant. Which is why I’m trying to get out this year. But a six month notice period could easily become eight or ten months with lockdowns.

In one way, this would be of benefit to landlords.

At the moment you can't sell a house with a sitting tenant because no bank will lend an investor money to buy it.

However, if all properties must or could be sold with sitting tenants, banks will be forced to offer mortgages to prospective investors.

No headache trying to get rid of tenant. So it would be a way out for those landlords who want to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Who could be sued?

Well I think he means the tenant, but Im sure he is joking, all the have to have is nothing of value to take and what are you going to get? assuming you can pin them down and they turn up to court, end up costing more.

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Well this thread is eye opening. I'm not sure I'd consider being a landlord after reading this, or maybe the screening process for tenants is hugely important, get tenants with secure government jobs where their income isn't likely to be affected by external factors.

I wouldnt recommend it.

The screening process means zero, even someone who is loaded could try not pay and make off into the sunset.
    Im sure there is a thread somewhere you could get some advice as what returns similar or better returns, worse returns would be better than letting property. because there is so much hassle, time, things you cant claim for even though associated with renting.
    You cant rely specifically on just getting a Govt employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Why would he offer the tenant money to move out? That's such a stupid suggestion. Follow the rules + instigate the eviction. Worst case scenario, you lose a few months rent? Hardly that big of a deal...

Lol. That's not the worst case scenario. Worst case is 2 years to evict with substantial damage to the property and no realistic way of getting that money back at all.

At the moment you can't sell a house with a sitting tenant because no bank will lend an investor money to buy it.

However, if all properties must or could be sold with sitting tenants, banks will be forced to offer mortgages to prospective investors.

No headache trying to get rid of tenant. So it would be a way out for those landlords who want to sell.

I dont see this as benefiting landlords,
    That would force someone to sell to a more limited market, would that be legal even?
    They might be limited in what they could ask for compared to similar house not rented on the same street.

No one will want to let a house that isnt already occupied in a rental again imo, if they are limited to that kind of restriction, might it be unconstitutional even? its private property, how or why should the State be able to say what a person can do with their private property?

Why should they be forced to have this as a way out? why cant they sell to the rest of the general population, some of which might offer more, ie the market rate.

its restrictive rules and ideas (along with existing inaction on non payment of contracted rent and other drawn out pedantic rules ) that have caused landlords to want to exit the market despite as has been said as highest market rentals again.
    Landlords cant even without difficulty offer tenants lower rates without screwing themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Lol. That's not the worst case scenario. Worst case is 2 years to evict with substantial damage to the property and no realistic way of getting that money back at all.

But could such tenant not demand to be reinstated in the property, as the money you gave him would have no legal standing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

But could such tenant not demand to be reinstated in the property, as the money you gave him would have no legal standing?

The money would be a gift, end of. The tenant would be under no obligation to leave, despite being paid. The only option is to follow the rules and issue a notice for eviction. How is that so difficult to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Arealred

OP,

Have you considered getting the electricity cut to the property. Is that in your name.

Likewise you could consider cutting water to property.

See how long tenant lasts without them.

Another thing that builders do if not getting paid is turn up outside the persons workplace with placard re money owed.

Arealred wrote: »
    OP,

Have you considered getting the electricity cut to the property. Is that in your name.

Another thing that builders do if not getting paid is turn up outside the persons workplace with placard re money owed.

This is illegal and will result in the op paying a pile of money to the tenant when he takes them to court/rtb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Arealred wrote: »
    OP,

You're an idiot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Sadly rent in this country is optional to pay....and there's nothing landlord can do.

So glad I managed to sell the property that saw me an accidental landlord, only lost €2k with a ****ty tenant so I got off lightly.

Best of luck OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭dubrov

LawBoy2018 wrote:
    Where would the legal fees come from? He can serve the eviction notice himself. Surely his agent has advised him of this route?

You serve them an eviction notice, they ignore it.
    You get an rtb judgement, they ignore it. You get a court order, they ignore it.
    At this point you are nearly a year without rent. You apply for a bailiff to evict only for the story to appear in the media. Eventually when the bailiff does evict, you find they've completely trashed the place.

5k at the start of the process suddenly seems like an attractive option.

Sure you can sue them in the courts afterwards for all of the above but you can't get blood out of a stone

dubrov wrote: »
    You serve them an eviction notice, they ignore it.
    You get an rtb judgement, they ignore it. You get a court order, they ignore it.
    At this point you are nearly a year without rent. You apply for a bailiff to evict only for the story to appear in the media. Eventually when the bailiff does evict, you find they've completely trashed the place.

5k at the start of the process suddenly seems like an attractive option.

Sure you can sue them in the courts afterwards for all of the above but you can't get blood out of a stone

In instances like this, where someone refuses to engage and is apparently willfully ignoring the process should be a criminal offence and should get a prison sentence, even if its suspended (as I think jails should be for dangerous people), there just seems to be nothing to discourage someone from taking the course where they just wont pay, not even sure how it would come back to them.

When I had my problems a solicitor told me it is all about possession.

I was owed a grand, the tenant needed a grand to move on so I paid it. Was livid at the time and sounds stupid but they had me by the balls. I got the keys and could draw a line in the sand.

There are horror stories of people not paying rent for years. Had a mate who couldn't sell his own house as the tenant refused to move out!

Do what you need to do (within the law obviously), it might cost you now but in the long run....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i am simply quoting from legislation here...

allow, at reasonable intervals, the landlord, or any person or persons acting on the landlord's behalf, access to the dwelling (on a date and time agreed in advance with the tenant) for the purposes of inspecting the dwelling

allow the landlord, or any person or persons acting on the landlord's behalf, reasonable access to the dwelling for the purposes of allowing any works (the responsibility for the carrying out of which is that of the landlord) to be carried out

not act or allow other occupiers of, or visitors to, the dwelling to act in a way which would result in the invalidation of a policy of insurance in force in relation to the dwelling,

notify in writing the landlord of the identity of each person (other than a multiple tenant) who, for the time being, resides ordinarily in the dwelling.

god, there is money to be made from someone who can understand the legislation. its a garbled web of ****. you can do that if you do a), but not if you do that from b) in the section before paragraph 1 of the same section that preceded that initial section a).

i suppose its written that way for a reason.

as an aside, which I have ignored...should the agent not have the jeopardy here? are they still taking a monthly fee from you?

What the legislation says and what happens in real life are unfortunately two comletely different things. Thanks to the toothless quango that is the RTB.

Am suprised jts been a basket case for so long given quite a few TDs are landlords, (surely they get screwed over too?)

Presumably the agent deducts their fee from rent so if nothing is coming in. Agents on my experience are next to useless. They should help you with the RTB case prep and provide guidance but that's it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

allow, at reasonable intervals, the landlord, or any person or persons acting on the landlord's behalf, access to the dwelling (on a date and time agreed in advance with the tenant) for the purposes of inspecting the dwelling

Doesn't really change the OPs situation.

If the tenant fails in that obligation( or any of the others you listed), recourse is via the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

fliball123 wrote: »
    True well I would go about cutting the elecy and water at the very least. I would be getting stink bombs and throwing them in the letter box.

What are you? 14?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Could you contact their employer to look for payment directly.

Good god, is this the general level of landlord intelligence?

Graham wrote: »
    Doesn't really change the OPs situation.

If the tenant fails in that obligation( or any of the others you listed), recourse is via the RTB.

i know it doesn't, and i feel **** for the OP.

I think its an absolute disgrace that the OP even needs to post this.

just boggles my mind how this is a thing.

i know this thread is going on for pages, but the OP is still ****ed and thats just that.

Mod Note

NomadicGray, improve the standard of your posts or stop posting.

• Advertisement

i know it doesn't, and i feel **** for the OP.

I think its an absolute disgrace that the OP even needs to post this.

just boggles my mind how this is a thing.

i know this thread is going on for pages, but the OP is still ****ed and thats just that.

You'll get no argument from me on any of those points.

As a country we're running into a situation where private landlords will just cease to exist. While the REITs may pick up some of the slack in the major cities, the remainder of the country will be wondering where all the rental properties went.

Apologies OP, no intention of thread hijacking here. It's just frustrating watch what you (and other landlords) go through.

Graham wrote: »
    You'll get no argument from me on any of those points.

As a country we're running into a situation where private landlords will just cease to exist. While the REITs may pick up some of the slack in the major cities, the remainder of the country will be wondering where all the rental properties went.

Apologies OP, no intention of thread hijacking here. It's just frustrating watch what you (and other landlords) go through.

there is 1 simple remedy....allow evictions for non paying tenants.

imagine if revenue adopted the same attitude?!

dont pay...ah, its fine. or any other business in the entire world. keep selling but the buyers dont have to pay.

its grand though cos banks and mortgages and repayments and interest don't exist.

Highly doubt anyone suggesting illegal methods is a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

No just a random comment on a chat board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Banks don't have to lend to anyone. They won't take that risk and why should they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

You’re actually better off being a waster in Irish society. Free legal aid, free housing, free health care the whole kit and caboodle ! Suspended sentence for most crimes. A fine little island !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Banks don't have to lend to anyone. They won't take that risk and why should they
    The risk is far less for investment property’s. Banks can and do repossess investment property’s very regularly. They don’t insist on mortgage protection either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭dubrov

emeldc wrote:
    The risk is far less for investment property’s. Banks can and do repossess investment property’s very regularly. They don’t insist on mortgage protection either.

It's actually the opposite. Most people will pay their home mortgage ahead of an investment property mortgage. Rates are higher to reflect the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Whatever about the risks for banks it's not right that anyone who is not receiving rent should have to go through such a long drawn out process. I've read different posts about this over the past few years and it seems unfair that the government allows it to continue where one set of citizens has more rights than another.

Eamon Ryan said something on radio earlier about a referendum on the right to housing. Anyone know what that is? Maybe landlords are right to be worried about the possibility of not being able to sell in future.

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »
    It's actually the opposite. Most people will pay their home mortgage ahead of an investment property mortgage. Rates are higher to reflect the risk.

I would not agree on that at all, if you dont pay your homes mortgage or only paid some off rather than all at the end of any month because you had to pay more into a mortgage for an investment property, due to a non paying tenant caused a shortfall in finances, then you arent likely to get your home taken off you, ie where you/your family live.
    Better to make sure an investment property mortgage is paid as they would go after that more readily and have more luck getting it off you, and just selling it up on you and you'd still owe them the balance.
    The rates are also higher on an investment mortgage, so any payment not made would be hit with even higher interest, penalties could also apply.

Both would take time, I took the option I mentioned for this reason, because of a non paying tenant.

Advertisement