Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January Running Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

https://strava.app.link/Q4tGnNlVXcb

Second attempt. A good bit better at 1:00:24. Again, exactly right effort wise according to HR bit I think the slight headwind on the way home, along with some awkward road crossings in the last mile, were responsible for the overshoot. I always have an excuse. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Murph_D wrote: »
    I always have an excuse. :)

Something we both have in common:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

An absolutely miserable attempt of 56.57.

Turned off the mile alerts. Had a rough idea of a 7.5mile ish route. Set out at 8min/mile feel. Turns out I was running closer to 7.45ish and the route was shorter than I thought.

To compound matters I should have been running easier after a 14M yesterday but wanted to self indulge a bit with the challenge today... I guess I can recover tomorrow. Lol. Scott Faubles biggest fanboy won't be impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

There's absolutely no way you'll believe this.

But today, on my run, I opened my strava app at EXACTLY 30m 00s Like exactly...

...HOWEVER...

It was on my phone in a freetrain vest and it got stuck on the way out, so I spent a good 6-8 seconds longer than I anticipated getting it checked.

So I guess I lucked my way to 30m 00s and the actual intended time was probably closer to 29m 54s. But I'll take it regardless ��

Tried again on a route I don't normally run... (first mistake)

27min 40sec
    56min 37sec

Awful. Not even gonna try authenticate that sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Tried today. Picked a route that corresponded to approx 1 hour easy running. 8.1k. Didn't realise how out of shape I am. :o 64:14. I'll try again next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Tried today. Picked a route that corresponded to approx 1 hour easy running. 8.1k. Didn't realise how out of shape I am. :o 64:14. I'll try again next week.

Not many out of shape people can run for 64 minutes. Thanks for taking part!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Damn I'm really good at this game. Snip20210114_4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

ReeReeG wrote: »

Love it :D

ReeReeG wrote: »

For the record, I did attempt this properly. No looking at the watch (had it switched to HR anyway just in case I was tempted) and turned off the mile alerts. Concentrated hard on keeping it easy by feel, and assumed I would speed up as usual but I didn't. I think I can trust myself more on how it feels than I realised! 1:01:10. Will definitely try again before the month is out..

https://www.strava.com/activities/4620758379

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I gave it ago last night. The temptation to look was endless.

I know I'm usually close to it at the end of this loop depending on traffic lights and people. 59m 36s

Not gonna get closer than that it was fluke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I think I may have discovered a candidate route for this one . Busy enough with traffic in places, so hard to judge accurately :)

Just a summary of best results so far. Let me know if I missed any. 2 weeks to go so plenty of time to have a go or improve.

Only validated attempts will count for final rank :)

Validated (Pic or link provided)
    Unknown Unthought -10sec
    Dudda +17sec
    Kander -24sec
    Murph_D +24sec
    Shotgunmcos -55sec
    ReeReeG +1min 10sec

Not Validated
    dna_leri +5sec
    Huzzah +1min 10sec
    Dubh Gannon +3min
    Swashbuckler -3min 3sec
    BeginnerRunner -3min 23sec
    Pheredykes +4min 14sec

Do i need to validate my ball of sh*te attempt??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Exactly why I didn't validate mine - I didn't think it was worth validating :)

If its your only attempt... yeah. Otherwise have another go :p

If I get 20+ participants I might create a league table.

Then roll into the February Challenge that I have in mind already :) But only if the appetite is there (or someone has a better idea) :cool:

If its your only attempt... yeah. Otherwise have another go :p

If I get 20+ participants I might create a league table.

Then roll into the February Challenge that I have in mind already :) But only if the appetite is there (or someone has a better idea) :cool:

I'll probably have another go..............

fair play to you for driving the ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'll probably have another go..............

fair play to you for driving the ideas.

I did it today...thought I was a bit slow so sprinted the last 100m and ended up at 59:53 ;)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I did it today...thought I was a bit slow so sprinted the last 100m and ended up at 59:53 ;)

Putting me to shame S.

Putting me to shame S.

Pure fluke P...thats why I didn't enter. I haven't run with time or distance on my watch since I last did sessions...

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Pure fluke P...thats why I didn't enter. I haven't run with time or distance on my watch since I last did sessions...

Anyone that thinks they did it out of skill and not fluke is lying! So its a valid attempt that should be verified and official!!

• Advertisement

Anyone that thinks they did it out of skill and not fluke is lying! So its a valid attempt that should be verified and official!!

No its not...I was following HR so it wasn't without the watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

First attempt, 1:02:26. I found it tough to not look at my watch at the start but enjoyed not being a slave to it by the end.

I ran the route yesterday but was convinced I had gone too fast so added a bit on at the end.

Ill try again during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

dna_leri wrote: »
    Had a go at this on my long run today.
    I have a "30 min trail run" I regularly do, so it was well suited.
    Did 2 laps yesterday in the ice in around 32 mins each but conditions were better today - not much ice but sloppy.
    I did a calibration lap first - did not check the watch until the lap was done and hit 6.1K in 30:43 - not bad.
    Picked it up a little on the next lap and clicked the watch as I went round but avoided the temptation to look - felt about right.
    First half of the lap is fairly flat so picked it up again here as I knew I would fade on the hillier 2nd half.
    Pushed a little on the final stretch as I thought I slowed too much.
    Then checked the watch - 30:12 + 29:53 = 60:05 - better than I expected
    I have not uploaded to Strava so I'll try again next week.
    Helps to keep the solo long runs interesting.

Made another attempt at this for my long run Saturday.
    Ran 29:56 for my "calibration lap" and then checked my watch.
    Then ran 30:00 and 29:23 without looking - obviously picked it up a bit too much at the end but close enough.
    Interesting exercise in consistent pacing with a certain amount of randomness thrown in.
    Don't think I will do better than my first attempt of 60:05.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Do absolute flukes count? There was NO method to this and only realised I did it when I checked my stats to post my log.

jx5OVM.png

...I've tried the 30 minute one a couple of times because I'm such a newb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

01:01:19

Probably the best I'll manage in January. I got the distance roughly spot on but my pace was around 5 secs/km slower than what I expected. Not too surprised as it was an easy run on tired legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

1:00:59

Gave this a go earlier on a local 7 mile + loop. Can't even remember the last time I actually did a run without the watch so found it very difficult not to look but kept it under my long sleeve top for an extra level of security!
    I forgot to turn off the mile notifications but thanks to Covid I know all the mile markers on this route anyways. Had a feeling I was a bit on the slow side so sped up in last part to close the loop instead of stopping the watch.
    Doubt I will better that attempt.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/Q8z4EktDedb

Cheers folks. Remember to validate! Screen shot, link whatever :)

All non validated attempts will rank below validated attempts, regardless of how close they are.

10 days to go :)

Still thinking about a points system if this becomes a monthly thing :confused: Have an idea for next month though but open to other ideas of course. Ideally make it as inclusive as possible where its not just fastest wins etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I haven't tried this yet! Too busy sticking to the plan :) I might try 30 mins instead of an hour as I only run an hour + on my long run..

Slightly better effort this week - 59:02

https://www.strava.com/activities/4658702933

• Advertisement

Cheers folks. Remember to validate! Screen shot, link whatever :)

All non validated attempts will rank below validated attempts, regardless of how close they are.

10 days to go :)

Still thinking about a points system if this becomes a monthly thing :confused: Have an idea for next month though but open to other ideas of course. Ideally make it as inclusive as possible where its not just fastest wins etc..

What's the idea?!

Advertisement