Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm paraphrasing. But I'm not the one you need to be arguing this with.

You're the one saying that it's your opinion, are you not going to stand by it?
    The solution to this is to put the cycleway, properly designed and funded, on the Promenade as S2S always envisaged and to carry out village enhancement schemes in Sandymount and Irishtown to discourage extraneous traffic and give them the benefits of a people focussed public realm that has been seen in places like Blackrock.

Why won't this work with the current proposed trial design?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

buffalo wrote: »
    You're the one saying that it's your opinion, are you not going to stand by it?

Why won't this work with the current proposed trial design?

I stand by it absolutely. Section 38 works are fine for localised measures, like putting in a few ramps, or a signalised crossing or a junction improvement, not a fundamental and widely impactful alteration plan like the Strand Road proposal is.

Dublin City Council's own explanatory document on the Part 8 process says the following

"Heading: Types of Development that require the Part 8 Procedures...

... 2. The construction of a new road or the widening or realignment of an existing road, where the length of new road or of the widened or realigned road is 100 metres or more."

I don't need to tell anyone that the length of road subject to this proposal exceeds 1,200 metres. The argument is - and I will be on one side and you the other - that because they aren't proposing to change the underlying fabric of the road, that Part 8 does not apply. Thats what An Bord Pleanála will have to adjudicate. I'm not sure if Part 8 has been tested quite like this, but I do know it makes no provision for temporary works or so-called trials.

Its worth bearing in mind too, that when Section 38 is mentioned, DCCs own executive referred to the proposal as "unorthodox". Hardly a forthright argument for measures that are notionally best practice.

As for Sandymount getting a village scheme, AND Strand Road being reduced to one way? In my example of Blackrock village, they were able to make the main street one-way and reclaim road space for pedestrian, cycle and social distancing use, precisely because the Blackrock Bypass exists as an alternative. Strand Road is that alternative for Sandymount. Heavy vehicles that have legitimate business in the area, deliveries, construction carriers, bin trucks, they're all entitled to gain access, in some manner. The residents groups argue that a combination of all these proposals turn their district into something of an island, interfering with the amenity of their properties and so on.

As I say, these are arguments, they will now happen before An BP, probably also at City Council level once again and maybe even before the Courts at some point.

They may find that my interpretation of things and the advice the combined residents groups have received is wrong, to some degree, but my experience tells me they will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think a longer term solution is a dedicated cycle path on the inside of the sea wall on the Strand road and extend it out to Blackrock, it could be combined with flood defense work and a better route to the lighthouse, as it is, its a bit of a mess.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

silverharp wrote: »
    I think a longer term solution is a dedicated cycle path on the inside of the sea wall on the Strand road and extend it out to Blackrock, it could be combined with flood defense work and a better route to the lighthouse, as it is, its a bit of a mess.
    but...but...but where are the drivers meant to park then?

https://twitter.com/Annahadfield/status/1348290334627930115

but...but...but where are the drivers meant to park then?

https://twitter.com/Annahadfield/status/1348290334627930115

lol, hadnt seen that before, must be a lockdown thing

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

lol, hadnt seen that before, must be a lockdown thing

You're supposed to exercise within 5km and some people will still drive... to exercise?

strandroad wrote: »
    You're supposed to exercise within 5km and some people will still drive... to exercise?

we need special D4 plates, keep the riff raff away

strandroad wrote: »

I live a couple of clicks from the Phoenix Park. I drove there to run yesterday, because a) the streets near me are wide and busy with pedestrians so its hard to distance and b) because I bloody like running there.

While those cars shouldn't be parked on the grass at Sandymount, it does go to show, the space they take up would make a perfect two-way cycletrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I live a couple of clicks from the Phoenix Park. I drove there to run yesterday, because a) the streets near me are wide and busy with pedestrians so its hard to distance and b) because I bloody like running there.

While those cars shouldn't be parked on the grass at Sandymount, it does go to show, the space they take up would make a perfect two-way cycletrack.

It's a nature reserve. You can't build on the inside. That should be the end of that discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭PaulieC

The route to the lighthouse is a bit of a mess ? Why so ?

• Advertisement

I'm paraphrasing. But I'm not the one you need to be arguing this with.

The local groups that all needed to come together to consider the wider implications on their communities have done so, not just Sandymount, but Irishtown, Merrion, Bath Avenue and so on. They realise that effectively blocking an important cross city regional route without a suitable diversion option is bad news for their villages and streets and that they are being sold a substandard pup.

The solution to this is to put the cycleway, properly designed and funded, on the Promenade as S2S always envisaged and to carry out village enhancement schemes in Sandymount and Irishtown to discourage extraneous traffic and give them the benefits of a people focussed public realm that has been seen in places like Blackrock.

The Strand Road "trial" is doomed now in my opinion, one way or another.

I agree. I think it was a bad idea to begin with as it was always going to meet with very strong resistance due to doing away with a major approach to the East link and forcing that traffic through villages and down routes that can't cope.

IMO, the more suitable option would be to take the cycleway though Sandymount village and out onto Merrion road at Merrion shopping centre. I know you're losing a bit of the coastal route doing this, but it would make the village a more pleasant place to be in the way Monkstown and Blackrock have been transformed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's a 5km lock down. If you drove a couple of clicks. How far was your run??

PaulieC wrote: »
    The route to the lighthouse is a bit of a mess ? Why so ?

The path through the nature park is not all tarmac, there is a bit in the middle that is just a mucky grass track and if memory is correct bikes shouldnt be using it anyway, its just for pedestrians, it certainly isnt marked out for bikes and would be too narrow anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

ted1 wrote: »
    There's a 5km lock down. If you drove a couple of clicks. How far was your run??

Ah I get where he is coming from. maybe he didn't want to spend the 1st and last 10/15 minutes of his run on the busy roads and only a middle 15 mins in Phoenix Park. Where a quick scoot in the car allows him 45 mins in the Phoenix Park running.

Personally, I'm not arsed getting in and out of the car and parking etc, but I get why some are.

These are exactly the type of unnecessary car journeys we should be cutting down on, that means there's more room in the park for all of the disabled and elderly people in cars that the whole of twitter seems to be so concerned about whenever car restrictions are mentioned.

crisco10 wrote: »
    Ah I get where he is coming from. maybe he didn't want to spend the 1st and last 10/15 minutes of his run on the busy roads and only a middle 15 mins in Phoenix Park. Where a quick scoot in the car allows him 45 mins in the Phoenix Park running.

Personally, I'm not arsed getting in and out of the car and parking etc, but I get why some are.

If only there was some way to make the roads near him less busy and more pleasant for pedestrians and runners... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

I don't understand this fear of Sandymount becoming a rat run if they remove 1 lane.

It would make no sense to try drive through the village if you are now being diverted along say Tritonville Avenue.

different area, but surprised there isnt lighting on the dodder route from Clonskeagh up, I had arranged with a friend to go jogging there one night recently, it theory it should be a decent cycling commuter route but pretty much unusable its so dark

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

different area, but surprised there isnt lighting on the dodder route from Clonskeagh up, I had arranged with a friend to go jogging there one night recently, it theory it should be a decent cycling commuter route but pretty much unusable its so dark

It’s amazing what a good set of bike lights can do.

I don't understand this fear of Sandymount becoming a rat run if they remove 1 lane.

It would make no sense to try drive through the village if you are now being diverted along say Tritonville Avenue.

in theory it shouldnt be too bad, its the traffic heading in the direction of town or the east link would be affected, as it is you cant turn right at to go to sandymount from the merrion road except at merrion gates so would just be more gridlock on the merrion road.
    Im guessing some people are thinking the lane closed will mean traffic cant go south so picture the east link traffic marauding through Sandymount. Though you might get more people using Ailesbury road or Simmonscount to go through Sandymount

• Advertisement

in theory it shouldnt be too bad, its the traffic heading in the direction of town or the east link would be affected, as it is you cant turn right at to go to sandymount from the merrion road except at merrion gates so would just be more gridlock on the merrion road.
    Im guessing some people are thinking the lane closed will mean traffic cant go south so picture the east link traffic marauding through Sandymount. Though you might get more people using Ailesbury road or Simmonscount to go through Sandymount

Not sure if you are familiar with the volume of traffic that uses the Strand/Beach Roads in normal times, but many times the backup goes as far back as the tower and has on occasion stretched across the merrion gates. There is no way on earth that Tritonville Road leading onto Church Ave. could cope with that volume. Same applies to Bath Ave./Londonbridge Road (via Shelbourne Rd/Haddington Rd.).
    I get the aspiration and hope that removing a lane would entice people out of their cars, but given the current purpose of that road, it's not going to have a huge effect. It would work better in the village as that has naturally got more locally based traffic.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Not sure if you are familiar with the volume of traffic that uses the Strand/Beach Roads in normal times, but many times the backup goes as far back as the tower and has on occasion stretched across the merrion gates. There is no way on earth that Tritonville Road leading onto Church Ave. could cope with that volume. Same applies to Bath Ave./Londonbridge Road (via Shelbourne Rd/Haddington Rd.).
    I get the aspiration and hope that removing a lane would entice people out of their cars, but given the current purpose of that road, it's not going to have a huge effect. It would work better in the village as that has naturally got more locally based traffic.

I certainly agree that there isnt much in the way of detour roads, All the roads near Star of the Sea church or Irishtown are tiny. What are people doing in the morning if using the Stand road into the city? , its either the Eastlink or heading into town through Ringsend or alternate from the merrion road and work around Ballsbridge. All I can see is the traffic would grind slower on the Merrion road or duel carriage way, the East link would be unusable so southside traffic wanting to go North would go through town or M50.
    Ive seen it if there is ever a problem with the EastLink the traffic backs up all the way down Bath Ave which then backs the traffic back up to the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I certainly agree that there isnt much in the way of detour roads, All the roads near Star of the Sea church or Irishtown are tiny. What are people doing in the morning if using the Stand road into the city? , its either the Eastlink or heading into town through Ringsend or alternate from the merrion road and work around Ballsbridge. All I can see is the traffic would grind slower on the Merrion road or duel carriage way, the East link would be unusable so southside traffic wanting to go North would go through town or M50.
    Ive seen it if there is ever a problem with the EastLink the traffic backs up all the way down Bath Ave which then backs the traffic back up to the village.

We are probably a typical example of people who regularly use the Eastlink. Living Deansgrange area , inlaws living in Howth and other relations in Santry. We should really use the M50 but the Eastlink is handier. However if the Sandymount scheme were to go ahead then obviously the M50 would be our default. I would guess that a large proportion of the Strand Road traffic could use the M50 but like us choose the easier option.
    The majority using the Eastlink you would assume are heading Northside rather than the city centre or the port so the M50 is probably a realistic option for most of the Strand Road traffic

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    We are probably a typical example of people who regularly use the Eastlink. Living Deansgrange area , inlaws living in Howth and other relations in Santry. We should really use the M50 but the Eastlink is handier. However if the Sandymount scheme were to go ahead then obviously the M50 would be our default. I would guess that a large proportion of the Strand Road traffic could use the M50 but like us choose the easier option.
    The majority using the Eastlink you would assume are heading Northside rather than the city centre or the port so the M50 is probably a realistic option for most of the Strand Road traffic

Why not just use the Sam Beckett bridge? That's what I use if ever driving back from Southside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Why not just use the Sam Beckett bridge? That's what I use if ever driving back from Southside

True but I always find the bit of Pearse St and the right turn down Macken St and across the Beckett bridge takes a fair bit longer. Far easier to stay on the Eastlink if heading Howth direction..

I head that way too but there's minimal difference, and it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Seaswimmer wrote: »

Same, live in Drumcondra and use it to get to Wicklow/Dublin mountains. It's not particularly quicker, I just find it nicer to drive than the M50. I am happy to switch to the M50 instead, I can't stand Pearse St/Macken St as routes to drive so I generally avoid them.

Anecdotally, most of the cars in front or behind me on these trips are heading in the same direction as me for most of these journeys so I think there's a lot more journeys that could be facilitated by the M50 than most people think.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not sure that interest groups can 'checkmate' anyone.

If any checkmates arise, it'll be in a hearing room at An Bord Pleanála or a chamber of the High Court.

• Advertisement

While I obviously respect democratic process, this request to revisit a plan from five years ago that was investigated and then evaluated as infeasible is nonsense. Has anything since then changed, bar the need to reduce polluting motor traffic becoming even more urgent?

I feel like the councillors pushing it should be censured for wasting time - pure stalling tactics. I presume once the letter is written, they'll ask for the trial to be delayed pending a response?

Advertisement