Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

• 27-08-2019 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My current licence was issued in 2015 but has started to deteriorate, with plastic starting to peel away from the licence. Has anyone else experienced a problem and what have they done about it? Request a replacement from NDLS?

Also they made a mistake with date of first issue for B licence. Was issued a few years earlier. Also wondering if anyone else had to get licence re-issued to correct their mistake? I have A licence, and the dates for that are correct, but that was more recent.
    Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Sorry if this has been answered before, I could only find NCT and learner permit info.
    My licence will be out of date in a few weeks, and my local NDLS centre seems to be open but has no available appointments. That's actually the same for almost all the Centres I checked, aside from a few that may have availability in late August (mine expires mid August).

I don't need any supporting documents so I thought I could apply online, but you need a myGovId which I can't get as I don't have a public services card. . . Which aren't being issued currently. :pac:

Does anyone know if the licence dates will be extended again? They gave people 4 extra months if theirs was expiring from March-June, and they've added more time for learner permits, but no mention of the same for renewals.
    I'd obviously like to have it sorted so I'm not worrying about being stopped. I am getting married two months after my licence expires though, so if they were offering extensions I could potentially renew with my married name when I've changed it, and save myself another errand ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Only permits were extended further.

Just book the earliest appointment.

Mine will expire next week, have an appointment in the middle of August. What else can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 morebarn

My husband’s Licence expires early August and the closest appointment we could get to renew it was 26th August.

I mistakenly thought all Licences were extended by Four months; as my own had been.

I checked it on the phone with NDLS and they told me there would be no extension for him.
    We have to wait until end of August.
    I queried if having proof of appointment made would cover him if he was stopped with out of date Licence. They said NO. But that it would be up to the Garda or whoever looked for Licence to use their judgement. So, no luck for us I’m afraid!

They also stressed that if we had any accidents, claims etc in that time then our Insurance Company would consider us to be breaking the contract terms. That is, driving without an up to date Licence.

Totally our own fault I know!

You should and will be fine.

You are still licensed driver.

You get appointment confirmation by text anyway (not sure if it was optional).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Cerco

morebarn wrote: »
    They also stressed that if we had any accidents, claims etc in that time then our Insurance Company would consider us to be breaking the contract terms. That is, driving without an up to date Licence.

Totally our own fault I know!

Doubt any insurance company would behave like this particularly in the current situation. Anyway check your policy documents. From my recollection, policies require the driver to hold/have held a licence for the category of vehicle insured.

Asking DLA about possible response from the Gardai, you hardly expected them to tell you that a Garda would ignore an expired licence. I doubt any garda, would even contemplate any action in the circumstances. They are more interested in uninsured cars, banned drivers and tax expired by many months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd say that the Gardai spend a lot of their time telling people that their licence is expired after they present it.

Insurance should be fine you only have issues if it's out 10 years or you've been banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Thanks for the responses. I know you'd have to be RIDICULOUSLY unlucky to have any issues in current circumstances, but better for peace of mind to have it sorted.

Anyway, after all my fretting , an appointment popped up in my local centre for next week!! I guess they're getting some cancellations as you can't attend if you've any possible symptoms etc.
    Also, checking appointments on a computer was much easier than on my phone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80,799 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Do you still have to fill in a form, bring the form up to the licence centre and get them to enter the details on the form on to their system or can it all be done online? Last time I looked at the form it was a pure pain in the hole format to fill in, complete waste of time me filling it in by hand, someone else trying to read my brutal handwriting and enter it on their ststem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Cerco

Do you still have to fill in a form, bring the form up to the licence centre and get them to enter the details on the form on to their system or can it all be done online? Last time I looked at the form it was a pure pain in the hole format to fill in, complete waste of time me filling it in by hand, someone else trying to read my brutal handwriting and enter it on their ststem.

Yes, unless you can do it on-line.
    To get on-Line access, as stated above, you need a mygov ID. To get that you need a PS Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Cerco wrote: »
    Yes, unless you can do it on-line.
    To get on-Line access, as stated above, you need a mygov ID. To get that you need a PS Card.

What a load of balls, why the need for all these different state IDs and cards? My license is expired and like the OP don't have all these secondary requirements to renew online so will have to take time off and visit the NDLS centre.

I renewed my passport last year online and it was the simplest and quickest process imaginable, was really surprised how efficient the whole thing was and had my new passport by post 3 days later. Why can't they do similar for a drivers license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭kravmaga

araic88 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. I know you'd have to be RIDICULOUSLY unlucky to have any issues in current circumstances, but better for peace of mind to have it sorted.

Anyway, after all my fretting , an appointment popped up in my local centre for next week!! I guess they're getting some cancellations as you can't attend if you've any possible symptoms etc.
    Also, checking appointments on a computer was much easier than on my phone!!

Hi there,
    OP, My 10 year paper licence is not due for renewal until October 2020, I still managed to get an online appointment in NDLS in Santry for next week.

Did you fill out the D401 and get your GP to complete the Driving Licence Medical report form, the G.P. has to stamp the form also

kravmaga wrote: »
    Hi there,
    OP, My 10 year paper licence is not due for renewal until October 202, I still managed to get an online appointment in NDLS in Santry for next week.

Did you fill out the D401 and get your GP to complete the Driving Licence Medical report form, the G.P. has to stamp the form also

I don't think the GP has to sign it unless you have one of the conditions or over certain age, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭kravmaga

wonski wrote: »
    I don't think the GP has to sign it unless you have one of the conditions or over certain age, no?

Nope Ive no conditions, Its part of the form, Im GROUP 1 AND 2 which includes c, d, e licences, Ive renewal for truck and bus also.

Thats the reason for the medical report, hopefully you have learned something

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Nope Ive no conditions, Its part of the form

Your GP didn’t need to sign anything in your case. That’s €20 you wasted.
    Edited to add:
    You did need to get a medical report because you’ve category C and D. People without those categories don’t need medical report.

Nope Ive no conditions, Its part of the form, Im GROUP 1 AND 2 which includes c, d, e licences, Ive renewal for truck and bus also.

Thats the reason for the medical report, hopefully you have learned something

The op clearly posted no need for any supporting documentation so I safely assumed we were talking B license.

Thank you for the lesson :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Daveq

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago, keep checking. I got an appointment in Athlone (I live in Dublin) for the following day. 3 days before my licence expired.

If you book an appointment you can't check the calendar again without cancelling your one, so get someone else in your family to check with their PPS no. If you have booked in
    You should and will be fine.

You are still licensed driver.

Incorrect. I checked. Your insurance is not valid as you're driving on an expired licence. Doesn't matter if it's 1 day, 1 week, or 1 year, it's not a "valid licence" as per your insurer requirements.

Daveq wrote: »
    I was in the same boat a few weeks ago, keep checking. I got an appointment in Athlone (I live in Dublin) for the following day. 3 days before my licence expired.

If you book an appointment you can't check the calendar again without cancelling your one, so get someone else in your family to check with their PPS no. If you have booked in

Incorrect. I checked. Your insurance is not valid as you're driving on an expired licence. Doesn't matter if it's 1 day, 1 week, or 1 year, it's not a "valid licence" as per your insurer requirements.

Check again ;)

I am insured. I hold a license. So does the op.

Please do not dramatise and do not make other people worried more than they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Daveq

Check again ;)

I am insured. I hold a license. So does the op.

Please do not dramatise and do not make other people worried more than they should be.

Ok, apologies if that is the case. They must be different, I called my insurance company and they told me I would not be, as I wouldn't hold a "current and valid driving licence" They said "out date is out of date." It's not dramatisation it's what I was told. Better safe than sorry!

Which insurance company was that Daveq?

I might avoid them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Daveq wrote: »
    Ok, apologies if that is the case. They must be different, I called my insurance company and they told me I would not be, as I wouldn't hold a "current and valid driving licence" They said "out date is out of date." It's not dramatisation it's what I was told. Better safe than sorry!

It doesn't matter what a person in a call center said. Read your policy documents and unless it's changed recently they all say holds or held a valid licence for the policy to be valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭obi604

araic88 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered before, I could only find NCT and learner permit info.
    My licence will be out of date in a few weeks, and my local NDLS centre seems to be open but has no available appointments. That's actually the same for almost all the Centres I checked, aside from a few that may have availability in late August (mine expires mid August).

I don't need any supporting documents so I thought I could apply online, but you need a myGovId which I can't get as I don't have a public services card. . . Which aren't being issued currently. :pac:

Does anyone know if the licence dates will be extended again? They gave people 4 extra months if theirs was expiring from March-June, and they've added more time for learner permits, but no mention of the same for renewals.
    I'd obviously like to have it sorted so I'm not worrying about being stopped. I am getting married two months after my licence expires though, so if they were offering extensions I could potentially renew with my married name when I've changed it, and save myself another errand ;-)

Hi all,

I am looking for the simplest way to do this, the simplest being I can take a photo on my smartphone without having to use a photo booth.

2 options:

1. go to your NDLS centre in person with a filled out form, do they take the picture for you or do you need to bring pictures?
    2. renew online which for me means getting a public services card (PSC). it seems this way, they take your picture when you show up in person for the PSC

so either way, in my situation I have to travel
    Can anyone tell me when you have all the documents sorted and apply online for the actual driving license - can you upload a photo from your phone or do you need a physical photo?

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking for the simplest way to do this, the simplest being I can take a photo on my smartphone without having to use a photo booth.

2 options:

1. go to your NDLS centre in person with a filled out form, do they take the picture for you or do you need to bring pictures?
    2. renew online which for me means getting a public services card (PSC). it seems this way, they take your picture when you show up in person for the PSC

so either way, in my situation I have to travel
    Can anyone tell me when you have all the documents sorted and apply online for the actual driving license - can you upload a photo from your phone or do you need a physical photo?

Right now if you do not already have a PSC then the only option for you is to fill up the Drivers Licence application form, do the medical form (only certain applicants need a medical form), go online to NDLS, make an appointment for yourself at any NDLS office you like, and show up on the day with your expired/expiring licence and proof of PPSN/residence ( just in case it’s needed) and the money. They will take your photos there.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Right now if you do not already have a PSC then the only option for you is to fill up the Drivers Licence application form, do the medical form (only certain applicants need a medical form), go online to NDLS, make an appointment for yourself at any NDLS office you like, and show up on the day with your expired/expiring licence and proof of PPSN/residence ( just in case it’s needed) and the money. They will take your photos there.

Thank you.
    I dont have a PSC.

Are you sure that THEY (in the NDLS office) take the photos?

ah ok, dont have a PSC.

Are you sure that THEY (in the NDLS office) take the photos?

100% positive. They won’t be accepting any photos that you take/offer to take.
    You will be sitting in a booth having your application processed and you will be asked to swivel around in your chair and face a camera which will take 3 photos. You will be asked to pick 1 of the photos.

100% positive. They won’t be accepting any photos that you take/offer to take.
    You will be sitting in a booth having your application processed and you will be asked to swivel around in your chair and face a camera which will take 3 photos. You will be asked to pick 1 of the photos.

Thanks again.

Just booked an appointment with NDLS for 26th August. My license expired on the 13th April. but have 4 months grace with covid. and 26th August was the earliest one I could get.

I am just renewing an expired license, do I need a garda stamp?

Thanks again.

Just booked an appointment with NDLS for 26th August. My license expired on the 13th April. but have 4 months grace with covid. and 26th August was the earliest one I could get.

I am just renewing an expired license, do I need a garda stamp?

No. You haven’t lost your licence or destroyed it?

No. You haven’t lost your licence or destroyed it?

nope, just renewing an expired one

nope, just renewing an expired one

You only need the Gardai if you’ve lost or destroyed your licence.

My license expired on 13th April. 4 months grace is 13th August.

However earliest appointment I could get with NDLS is 26th August. Will I be be ok/somewhat covered during the period 13th-26th August?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just for clarification to renew an license you need an MyGov Id.
    A basic account is sufficient to for this.
    I had tried to renew my missus’s license which had expired and for some reason her GovId didn’t keep her account.
    She already has a PSC card but the NDLS guy we spoke to confirmed that she just needed to create a basic MyGov account and that was good enough to renew her license.

Advertisement