Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guinness Pro12 Season 2020-2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

awec wrote: »
    They had 3 games against the kings every year and practically lose no players during test windows.

The cheetahs aren’t that good.

All the people saying cheetahs and kings don’t belong as they not competitive is abit like Ireland when it comes to world cups?let’s leave all the teams that aren’t competitive in WC at home too?fact is cheetahs can and will beat any team in Europe on their day and they have proven that.dispite all the travel they have to do and all the players they lose as well as play in multiple comps each year

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

......fact is cheetahs can and will beat any team in Europe on their day and they have proven that.....

apart from the rest of your drivel....

how you came up with the above gem is mind boggling... seeing as, to my knowledge, then have never played any european team outside of the celtic league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

If these teams join I really hope they change the format also, I really dislike the 2 conference system as its just a pile of mumbo jumbo.

If we must do a conference system I would like it to be Irish conference, SA conference, Wales Conference, Scotland/Italy conference. Or just go back to the league format.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

sydthebeat wrote: »
    apart from the rest of your drivel....

how you came up with the above gem is mind boggling... seeing as, to my knowledge, then have never played any european team outside of the celtic league.

They beat ur Leinster team who u all seem to think are the big boys in Europe....but they not even top 3

They beat ur Leinster team who u all seem to think are the big boys in Europe....but they not even top 3

You mean a 2nd string Leinster team in 2016?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

this guy really loves BIGing up the Cheetahs, must be a real fan of those BOKs.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

this guy really loves BIGing up the Cheetahs, must be a real fan of those BOKs.

hasnt grown up any since either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    If these teams join I really hope they change the format also, I really dislike the 2 conference system as its just a pile of mumbo jumbo.

If we must do a conference system I would like it to be Irish conference, SA conference, Wales Conference, Scotland/Italy conference. Or just go back to the league format.

Don't like this idea at all, and it makes a league massively lopsided. Munster could be the third team in the Irish conference - are they really the equivalent of the third team n the Scot/Italy conference?

I mean, I don't like the two conferences either, but that would be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Yeah the conferences are bad enough as is, adding more won’t help that

Don't like this idea at all, and it makes a league massively lopsided. Munster could be the third team in the Irish conference - are they really the equivalent of the third team n the Scot/Italy conference?

I mean, I don't like the two conferences either, but that would be worse.

My view would be for the QF have the top team from each conference and the final 4 teams based on the combined total. So you could potentially have Munster and Ulster still advance for example.

• Advertisement

You could just have a league but all I know is the current conference system has to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Four conferences is too convoluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

2 conferences of 8.

Play everyone in your conference twice, play everyone in the other conference once...play same country teams in other conference twice (more for Italy and Scotland obviously) and you get 23 regular season matches, throw in play off weekends (Q/F, S/F and Final) and thats a maximum of 25/26 matches. It's do-able.

bilston wrote: »
    2 conferences of 8.

Play everyone in your conference twice, play everyone in the other conference once...play same country teams in other conference twice (more for Italy and Scotland obviously) and you get 23 regular season matches, throw in play off weekends (Q/F, S/F and Final) and thats a maximum of 25/26 matches. It's do-able.

It's doable but sshhhhheeeeiiite

It's doable but sshhhhheeeeiiite

A league of 16 ain't going to work though.

A league of 16 ain't going to work though.

No. We might have to just settle for the two conference system.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I reckon there'll be some silly format that minimizes the number of times the NH teams have to travel to SA in a season. It used to be that one year a team would spend about 10 days in SA, and the next year basically a long weekend. That won't work any more.

2 conferences of 8.

25-26 matches?!

It's less games we want, not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Play each other once with additonal derbies or something.

Can't see the inter pro games being cut

25-26 matches?!

It's less games we want, not more.

Lots of problems and not many solutions being put forward!

You seem to want the Cheetahs in, so a 17 team league will be interesting!

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Play each other once with additonal derbies or something.

Can't see the inter pro games being cut

Could work I guess

Lots of problems and not many solutions being put forward!

You seem to want the Cheetahs in, so a 17 team league will be interesting!

I don't want them in, but it's very unfortunate that they've been shafted.

18 game season is one suggestion I've read:

Play your own conference home and away (14 games)
    Home and away derbies with the two teams not in your conference (4 games)

That still leaves the league a bit unbalanced mind. Tbh I wish the interpros were cut to half as I'd rather no interpros than First Team A vs Second Team B...

Interpros/derbies with two teams not in your conference (4 games)

That still leaves the league a bit unbalanced mind. Tbh I wish the interpros were cut to half as I'd rather no interpros than First Team A vs Second Team B...

This model could only work if the conferences were completely changed every year, irrespective of the performance or quality of team in each conference, otherwise you could go years without playing a specific team.

Irish teams get shafted with 2 games against Leinster in the year while others will go the season without playing them at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Super teams coming in can only help. They are better teams - probably all 4 would be in the top 8 teams straight away. This will drive up standards and can only be good.

It is a bit weird in terms of "culture" of the league but that line has been crossed anyway.

https://www.the42.ie/cheetahs-pro14-sa-rugby-vote-5217964-Sep2020/?utm_source=shortlink

"SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux stressed that the decision to shift its big franchises into the Northern Hemisphere came due to New Zealand Rugby’s “unilateral decision” to proceed with a domestic or trans-Tasman competition with Australia next year, rather than Super Rugby as it existed pre-Covid 19."

Good grief. :D

That basically says they don't really want to be here.

https://www.the42.ie/cheetahs-pro14-sa-rugby-vote-5217964-Sep2020/?utm_source=shortlink

"SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux stressed that the decision to shift its big franchises into the Northern Hemisphere came due to New Zealand Rugby’s “unilateral decision” to proceed with a domestic or trans-Tasman competition with Australia next year, rather than Super Rugby as it existed pre-Covid 19."

Good grief. :D

That basically says they don't really want to be here.

I don't know. Using Covid-19 to get rid of the Cheetahs is a convenient excuse.

The reality is a Pro16 type situation has been rumoured long before the pandemic. The Cheetahs and the Kings were shoved into the league in 2017 to keep them going but at the same time you could say they were a guinea pig to see how entry into a NH tournament would work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Home and away derbies with the two teams not in your conference (4 games)

This model could only work if the conferences were completely changed every year, irrespective of the performance or quality of team in each conference, otherwise you could go years without playing a specific team.

Irish teams get shafted with 2 games against Leinster in the year while others will go the season without playing them at all.

Or you could play the 6 home and away derby games (the Scots and Italians get lumped together for this) and play everyone else once also giving you 18 games plus play offs. You could go with a single table with the top 8 into quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I also get the impression that this isn’t final and they might also use this as a real threat to NZL to reverse their decision on the trans Tasmania league plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Whole thing is a farce. English and French must be laughing at Pro 14. Have a BI League instead - travel costs cut down dramatically in post Covid economic climate. What to do with S. African teams - that's anyone's guess.

Advertisement