Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Lol, the Hotline :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

"....makes my ears bleed". .....

Leo won't be happy with Damien :)

B*****X Damien, is he seriously suggesting HQ don't make final decisions? Hell would have frozen over before Leo would have let Kate Run

Roisin throwing in the Gender nonsense argument FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I like her forthright nature, but I don't think she's coming across well here. She is coming across as a bit entitled. Why doesn't she run as an independent.

To use common parlance, she has her head stuck up her arse. Full of self importance whereas in reality no one really cares. Not too surprised to hear that Varadkar asked her not to do media.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Damien gobbledegook on top form this morning

Whatever your politics this is not sustainable,

Why aren't Vulture funds just permitted to finance building at whatever incentive it takes but absolutely ban their owning Housing of any sort. Bad enough they are grabbing enormous amount of new builds, they have also taken possession of 10"s of thousands of mortgages from main street banks. Its a C*****F***

Damien gobbledegook on top form this morning

Great man for not hearing things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Dempo1 wrote: »

Why aren't Vulture funds just permitted to finance building at whatever incentive it takes but absolutely ban their owning Housing of any sort. Bad enough they are grabbing enormous amount of new builds, they have also taken possession of 10"s of thousands of mortgages from main street banks. Its a C*****F***

i love the disconnect between vulture funds and the ordinary person, wher do people think there pension funds are invested in ? they ae looking for high returns and you will find pension funds investing in these.

according to an irish times said in 2019 that pension funds had increased investment form 4 per cent to 25 per cent in vulture funds

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/vulture-funds-have-their-uses-1.3881542#:~:text=Yes%2C%20really.,world%20invest%20in%20vulture%20funds.

so restrict them all you like and find your pension fund goes down

BTW "im allright jack" as i have paid off my mortgage and have second house rented out it was seriously tight going at times to pay the mortgage off by 49 though ! house didnt have a tiled floor for 8 years just bare concrete

• Advertisement

They are here because they sense value is to be had. A shortage of housing, steady rental income. Solutions are more balanced regional development and rent controls.

Not quite sure why they are buying mortgages given the protections given in the courts to defaulters. They must figure they can bypass these and get a return.

i love the disconnect between vulture funds and the ordinary person, wher do people think there pension funds are invested in ? they ae looking for high returns and you will find pension funds investing in these.

Quite and you'll regularly hear government messages that Irish people need to sink money into their pensions. Well all those who aren't on the cushion of a state job.

So on the one hand we're supposed to invest in pensions as the state pension is not as sustainable as it once was. But on the other, then decry the same pension funds investing in long term assets and label them 'vultures'...

Furze99 wrote: »
    They are here because they sense value is to be had. A shortage of housing, steady rental income. Solutions are more balanced regional development and rent controls.

Not quite sure why they are buying mortgages given the protections given in the courts to defaulters. They must figure they can bypass these and get a return.

well at the haircut they are getting when they are buying them even with the hassle factor of defaulters they must reckon the return is there once they get the occupants out.

(cant wait for my haircut )

Edit: just looked 4% of my own pension fund is in property

according to an irish times said in 2019 that pension funds had increased investment form 4 per cent to 25 per cent in vulture funds

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/vulture-funds-have-their-uses-1.3881542#:~:text=Yes%2C%20really.,world%20invest%20in%20vulture%20funds.

BTW "im allright jack" as i have paid off my mortgage and have second house rented out it was seriously tight going at times to pay the mortgage off by 49 though ! house didnt have a tiled floor for 8 years just bare concrete

I suspect the ordinary couple trying to buy a house at the moment are not terribly concerned where pension funds put their money. I think most sensible people understand what is going on. I'm not for a second suggesting stopping inward investment, my point is should they be allowed to have their cake and eat it.

If it's government policy to create a model we're people can become life long tenants, fine but is it so bad to aspire to owning your home?

In essence a situation is being permitted whereby few if anyone can purchase a new home and I've no doubt Rents will become extortionate albeit many would argue they already are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

I doubt Round Hill Capital who bought that estate in Maynooth have anything to do with pension funds of the ordinary Joe. Spare cash of millionaire American clients, yes.

jay0109 wrote: »
    I doubt Round Hill Capital who bought that estate in Maynooth have anything to do with pension funds of the ordinary Joe. Spare cash of millionaire American clients, yes.

a quick google
    Round Hill Capital’s investor base includes some of the world’s most highly regarded private equity funds, sovereign wealth funds, pension funds, insurance companies and other institutions for whom the firm have a proven track record of delivering investment outperformance.

Maaaad

She was probably odd way before menopause

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

That's a big mix of which pension funds play one part!

mgn wrote: »
    FG want another posh boy, cant have anyone rocking the boat,

Kate O'Connell is a millionaire.

I don't know anything about James Geoghegan — don't really care about who his parents are – but this sounds like a bunfight between two decidedly establishment figures, who would find it very difficult to relate to the thousands of people living in social housing and unaffordable housing in the constituency, who never get a mention in this media funfair.

(Not aiming that comment as a criticism at you, your subject just reminded me how detached this contest is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Kate O'Connell is a millionaire.

I don't know anything about James Geoghegan — don't really care about who his parents are – but this sounds like a bunfight between two decidedly establishment figures, who would find it very difficult to relate to the thousands of people living in social housing and unaffordable housing in the constituency, who never get a mention in this media funfair.

(Not aiming that comment as a criticism at you, your subject just reminded me how detached this contest is)

What it really shows is Varadkar behaving like a spoilt brat. get a bit of criticism and your out, not a good sign in any leader.
    All he wants around him is lapdogs, I'm no fan of O'Connell, but she was right when she called them the choir boys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

Not related to vulture funds as such but a big problem historically is that property has been incentivised as the main investment class in Ireland. Not only do people spend almost all income on their primary housing they often put additional wealth into investment properties.

This diverts money from productive assets (eg small start ups or growing indigenous companies) into the property market.

Our economy is totally unbalanced - we have a big public sector and multinational companies but little focus on entrepreneurship.

What it really shows is Varadkar behaving like a spoilt brat. get a bit of criticism and your out, not a good sign in any leader.
    All he wants around him is lapdogs, I'm no fan of O'Connell, but she was right when she called them the choir boys
    I like her. She made a lot of good points, especially when she briefly mentioned a fairer society. When the subject drifted back to her career, my mind wandered.

I dont think local people care about her career. She was treated badly, but there are people living in tents along the canal in Ranelagh, or sleeping on the street where they never were. Other people's children cannot afford to buy homes. Nobody cares about Kate O'Connell's career when they wake up in the morning.

What a wasted interview, she could have had a big impact there. All we got was tattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Not really, same thing happened with the attempted push against Kenny. Backers like Fergus O'Dowd are only starting to be brought back into the fold.

B2021M wrote: »
    Not related to vulture funds as such but a big problem historically is that property has been incentivised as the main investment class in Ireland.

The land, the land, land & property - it's in our psyche both for rural and urban citizens. Not going to see much change there.

I've no major problem with large investment/ pension funds investing in Irish housing BUT and it's a big BUT, this has to be balanced with rent controls and the expectation of long term leases for tenants. We've sort of done one and ignored the other. Usual half arsed effort - should be fired for incompetence in running the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

As expected CB is like a dog with two tails that's locked in a butchers shop at the idea of salons opening up. Never mind that all other retail opens up today, Claire cares about flair for hair.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Today with Haire

She has the type of dead straight hair where a flaw in the cut would stand out, unlike myself where my frizzy hair is inherently flawed so that a messy cut causes bo remark to be passed :D

They wouldn't have to look to far to use up the spare vacinne, there was a wedding nearby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

They wouldn't have to look to far to use up the spare vacinne, there was a wedding nearby :)

Thank you for coming to our wedding; please have a shot on us :pac:

Thank you for coming to our wedding; please have a shot on us :pac:

LOL :) just couldn't resist

• Advertisement

A library that allows somersaults, tell me more Claire :)

Advertisement