Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda traffic on Twitter 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Those new speed guns they are using I notice some of posts they have on the Twitter page feature speeds logged from the car moving away from the Garda and not towards as per how the old system worked, in all these cases the speed shown on the gun is negative as a result. I'd be thinking the accuracy of calculating the speed from a car moving away from the gun would be less than that of a car moving towards. Would be interesting how the evidence is presented at the time of the fine, anyone know, I assume it's going to show positive speed?

Unregistered Users

AFAIR older hairdryers are also capable of measuring "away" speeds and also displaying negative values. But really struggling to understand how would that affect reading accuracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Those new speed guns they are using I notice some of posts they have on the Twitter page feature speeds logged from the car moving away from the Garda and not towards as per how the old system worked, in all these cases the speed shown on the gun is negative as a result. I'd be thinking the accuracy of calculating the speed from a car moving away from the gun would be less than that of a car moving towards. Would be interesting how the evidence is presented at the time of the fine, anyone know, I assume it's going to show positive speed?

They've been using negative readings for a long time, i got caught speeding going away from the gun many years ago, Garda showed me a negative reading. It was a hefty number too but it was early am coming back from work on an empty motorway and common sense was exercised - i'd hate to put the same speed in the same circumstances to the test today.

They are cleaning up with the new gun, that looks like they are on the bridge looking down at 700m away.

M

joujoujou wrote: »
    AFAIR older hairdryers are also capable of measuring "away" speeds and also displaying negative values. But really struggling to understand how would that affect reading accuracy?

I was thinking the focal point is getting smaller as the car moves away so harder to keep constantly locked on compared to a car coming towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

I was thinking the focal point is getting smaller as the car moves away so harder to keep constantly locked on compared to a car coming towards you.

They "lock on" in a fraction of a second. So makes no difference.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Reading back over the last few pages and the amount of drug driving out there is ridiculous - and to think that many want cannabis legalised.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Reading back over the last few pages and the amount of drug driving out there is ridiculous - and to think that many want cannabis legalised.

Drink is legal does it stop people from drink driving? Idiots will be idiots no matter what their vice is . Their are plenty of responsible cannabis smokers out there just as there are responsible drinkers. I’m surprised at such a liveline-esque post from a long time poster like yourself.

tossy wrote: »
    Drink is legal does it stop people from drink driving? Idiots will be idiots no matter what their vice is . Their are plenty of responsible cannabis smokers out there just as there are responsible drinkers. I’m surprised at such a liveline-esque post from a long time poster like yourself.

There’s no such thing as a responsible cannabis smoker because it’s illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

tossy wrote: »

Not at all. You're right that drink driving and alcohol abuse in general is a serious issue but one that is at least recognised as such and almost universally condemned if someone is behind the wheel at the time.

But this notion that cannabis is "harmless" (as inferred by your own post) is exactly the problem with the notion of legalising it because it will only encourage more of this behaviour. Anything that negatively alters your perception or reactions when driving (including idiots wearing earphones) should be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is a thread in AH for that cannabis discussion I'm sure.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Not at all. You're right that drink driving and alcohol abuse in general is a serious issue but one that is at least recognised as such and almost universally condemned if someone is behind the wheel at the time.

But this notion that cannabis is "harmless" (as inferred by your own post)

Can you point out where i said cannabis is harmless please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I had never heard of Gurranabraher until today. It's a division of Cork city.
    That's my "something" learned for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

They seem to catching alot now that are really breaking the speed limits

• Advertisement
    M

neris wrote: »
    They seem to catching alot now that are really breaking the speed limits

Since the lockdown started I've noticed more drivers tailgating and generally having a lax attitude to red lights and stop signs.

Unregistered Users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

They're really making up ground on lost revenue during the lockdown.

They're really making up ground on lost revenue during the lockdown.

And people make it so easy too.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Great to see action being taken by the Traffic units.

I live in "Rural" Ireland and the speed at which people drive on local county roads is insane.

Unregistered Users

Sadly they're rarely seen on local roads, at least here, in the North-West. They prefer busy national roads - more fish to catch. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Sadly they're rarely seen on local roads, at least here, in the North-West. They prefer busy national roads - more fish to catch. ;)

Believe me all they would need to do is stand outside my house for 20mins and they would catch plenty of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Local roads with 80 or 100 kph limits but if you were doing those speeds you'd be going too fast...... 100kph on narrow roads around blind corners.. not a bother as everyone else is doing it, and these on the whole are very responsible people otherwise. There is a bit reeducation needed there..or some enforcement. I assume there is a careless driving ticket for excessive speed in relation to road condition/s.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Advertisement