Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not exactly cycle related, but absolutely bizarre

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1263076196339855360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

What the holy fu*k!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Why dont they close the entrance, thats madness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

Jesus Christ, what's wrong with people

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you have to laugh though, beeping your horn is such an impotent thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Wasn't the same carry on going on when Krispy Kreme opened?

I wouldn't mind a McDonald's but no way would I sit through that!

There should be a cycle-thru

• Registered Users Posts: 13,742 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why would you sit in a f*cking car on a day like this to queue for whatever it is they're trying to get? These are the f*cking people we design our cities around, it is a sick society we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,742 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

All this talk of nature coming back to cities and birdsong and flotillas of families on bicycles... and now this. Ugh. We don't deserve this planet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

whoah there. all it takes is 100 people to make a queue at least half a kilometre long. this is not the fall of western civilisation.

• Advertisement

Joining a queue of that length as soon as McDonald's open is a sign of western stupidity at least anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

After their hour wait, scoff down, im just not satisfied think I'll queue again for a sundae.
    What a poisoned world we create

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Out walking with the dogs this morning in the local park. McDonalds only open 24 hours and already litter from their restaurants spread across the park - coffee cups, sundae cups, straws, and paper bags. Not possible to confuse it with any other brand.

Makes me sick. Not at McDonalds itself (for now), but the low IQ/EQ of their patrons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0521/1139870-dublin-city-covid-restrictions/
    The report predicts that public transport capacity will be reduced by 80% because of social distancing so it is aiming at a 100% increase in pedestrians and a 300% increase in cyclists.

Sounds pretty ambitious (at least by Irish standards). Could we be on the cusp of a great transformation of Dublin ?

The story from the gardai and passed on by the media about the "national slowdown day" irks me with how it's being covered. Gardai are asking motorists to be more careful and to expect an increase in cyclists and pedestrians on the roads.

If anything, the increase of cyclists and pedestrians has been there the last few months, it's the re-introduction of an increased level of motorists to the roads that are the hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Covid_Mobility_Programme_21.5.20_FINAL_WEB.pdf

I'm sure this will be covered by the media shortly. It makes for interesting reading for anyone commuting by bike into Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Covid_Mobility_Programme_21.5.20_FINAL_WEB.pdf

I'm sure this will be covered by the media shortly. It makes for interesting reading for anyone commuting by bike into Dublin.

Link is broken ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Weird, was working earlier for me. They must have taken it down.

seems to have a new link - linked from within this article:
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/dublin-mobility-plan/

edit: i assume that's the same or similar based on the name of the document. i didn't get to see the one on the earlier link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Only glanced over the previous one but that looks like the same to me.

Looks to be the same one.

Interesting the changes they are making to traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It's the same document. It's interesting reading and was picked up positively in the Irish Times. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-and-covid-19-car-restrictions-more-space-for-bikes-bus-restrictions-in-the-offing-1.4259642

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Mc Love wrote: »

The media keep doing this. Every plan to restrict through-traffic is a "ban on cars". Never been sure whether it's poor comprehension skills, click-baiting, or deliberately undermining a threat to the status quo..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

https://www.fingal.ie/news/plans-underway-deliver-broadmeadow-greenway-after-planning-permission-granted

https://youtu.be/Q5uymHhtBcM

Fingal County Council will immediately commence preparations for the construction of the Broadmeadow Greenway after receiving official notification today that An Bord Pleanála has granted planning permission for the €12m project which will link Malahide and Donabate across the Broadmeadow Estuary.

The 6km off-road walking and cycling greenway route will be built jointly by Fingal County Council and the National Transport Authority (NTA) and a spectacular 280 metres long bridge crossing the Broadmeadow Estuary on the Malahide Railway Viaduct is set to become an iconic feature along the Fingal coastline.

it doesn't appear to be a separate bridge, they're using the existing rail bridge, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

From reading some comments, it looks like the supports for a boardwalk alongside the rail line were put in when it was being repaired a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Would be great if true. I drive at or below the speed limit and recently things have not been good. Going into town at the UCD flyover I have my speed set at the limit and it's like I'm parked im being overtaken so fast and frequently. This is the usual situation in most locations. I get tailgated all the time and overtaken aggressively.
    I think the Gardai figures are bull for a few reasons:
    1) People know where the speed checks are
    2) There was national publicity on the day of action that it Would be happening.
    3)Just because 90% , which I do not believe for a second, of drivers obeyed the speed limit at particular set of locations and times doesn't mean they do this in other locations or times.
    I wouldn't believe these stats in a fit, in fairness the Gardai don't do too well on presenting figures. Give me a speed camera and I could pick locations where at least 90% of drivers break speed limits.

• Advertisement

work wrote: »
    3)Just because 90% , which I do not believe for a second, of drivers obeyed the speed limit at particular set of locations and times doesn't mean they do this in other locations or times.
    not 90% - greater than 99%. they detected 1,072 speeding drivers and 124,929 not speeding.
    that's 0.85% were speeding. or 99.15% compliant. it's fantasy.

Advertisement