Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Stay positive. No harm at all in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

We've all agreed on here on the issue of crowds at games later on in year. Nobody thinks full houses will be permitted but a lot of us still expect to see ball being played one way or another.

Would the GAA play behind closed doors? I'm not entirely sure but doesn't a lot of money come from gates rather than TV rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

kksaints wrote: »
    Would the GAA play behind closed doors? I'm not entirely sure but doesn't a lot of money come from gates rather than TV rights?

Yes of course it does. Dont know the percentage but id say 80% at a guess it gate revenue. Maybe play games with max 30% capacity allowed. Maybe the tv money and advertising revenue will be much higher due to more having to watch at home. We'll just have to to wait and see how it pans out. Only another 3 weeks to go before next lockdown/restrictions notice. Yipee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Time to think outside the box here.

What if we brought back the inter pros and hyped it up massively. Semi finals in September and finals in October?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Hurling championship is going to be pretty straightforward.

Munster and Leinster Championships to be played off as knock-out competitions with the 2 winners playing in the All Ireland Final meaning the Leinster and Munster Finals are defacto All Ireland Semi-Finals. (Interestingly would that mean that say a Limerick/Cork Munster Final would have to be played in Croke Park(if full crowds are allowed attend) as the 45,000ish that Semple holds wouldn't facilitate that sort of crowd and the GAA could be glad of a 65,000-70,000 gate?)

This will keep the Leinster and Munster Councils sweet which has to be done as I can't see any way the provincial championships will happen in football due to the imbalance in provincial numbers.

• Advertisement

Hurling championship is going to be pretty straightforward.

Munster and Leinster Championships to be played off as knock-out competitions with the 2 winners playing in the All Ireland Final meaning the Leinster and Munster Finals are defacto All Ireland Semi-Finals. (Interestingly would that mean that say a Limerick/Cork Munster Final would have to be played in Croke Park(if full crowds are allowed attend) as the 45,000ish that Semple holds wouldn't facilitate that sort of crowd and the GAA could be glad of a 65,000-70,000 gate?)

This will keep the Leinster and Munster Councils sweet which has to be done as I can't see any way the provincial championships will happen in football due to the imbalance in provincial numbers.

65,000 or 70,000 at a match? Not a chance id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

If NHE cant accommodate a leaving cert to late July, they surely won't allow teams and management teams to train and congregate until then at least. 40-50 people mixing together 3-4 nights a week before that is unrealistic due to the ongoing situation

Teams will need a month of training at least

That would nearly be late August at best before a ball is kicked

Someone has the drawings for Croke Park out as we speak and is working out the max attendance with 2m between everyone.

arctictree wrote: »
    Time to think outside the box here.

What if we brought back the inter pros and hyped it up massively. Semi finals in September and finals in October?!!

Na it's a dead duck

Personally I think it's a great competition but it's done like the Australian rules

Also the novelty of a knock out championship in football is utter nonsense

People getting giddy at Dublin having to go to leitrim as some kind of romance that the championship needs

Utter nonsense

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    Also the novelty of a knock out championship in football is utter nonsense

People getting giddy at Dublin having to go to leitrim as some kind of romance that the championship needs

Utter nonsense

Yeah because ties involving Dublin are the only ones that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Open draw knockout would be class for one year. Might help accelerate the death of the provincials too.

Seeded first round then open draw for the subsequent rounds.
    First round seeded on the league placings.

No PROVINCIALS

If need be you could run it off in 5 weeks. Not that you would do that.

But has the bonus of NO PROVINCIALS linking into the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Someone has the drawings for Croke Park out as we speak and is working out the max attendance with 2m between everyone.

And what about players. Surely the 2 m rules applies to them as well.

Vinnie222 wrote: »

All players to be tested and given the all clear perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

All players to be tested and given the all clear perhaps.

That's not going to happen . We can't even test our sick atm and that's not going to change any time soon

That's not going to happen . We can't even test our sick atm and that's not going to change any time soon

We'll see. Its a guessing game at this moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ferm001

In my own club, a lot of our players have been adhering to this for years, especially the defenders 😀.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

GAA off organising committees for this

They sure love to that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

PTH2009 wrote: »
    GAA off organising committees for this

They sure love to that

Thought the same. Why the need for all these committees. Just make a decision and go with it. No need for all the nonsense, people will just be happy if games get played

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Now that it's going ahead (in my head at least :D); does anyone think that the players will be less fit than normal?

Could this have an impact on the style of play I wonder. There has been a slight shift in the football towards a less conservative game, could this accelerate that it everyone isn't at 100%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Now that it's going ahead (in my head at least :D); does anyone think that the players will be less fit than normal?

Could this have an impact on the style of play I wonder. There has been a slight shift in the football towards a less conservative game, could this accelerate that it everyone isn't at 100%?

Given that there will be a lead in time of 3/4 weeks and the players are ticking over with their own individual plans at the moment I think they will be every bit as fit as normal and mad for action. The first throw in for the hurling championship won’t be a place for the faint hearted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

scrubs33 wrote: »
    Given that there will be a lead in time of 3/4 weeks and the players are ticking over with their own individual plans at the moment I think they will be every bit as fit as normal and mad for action. The first throw in for the hurling championship won’t be a place for the faint hearted!!

They won't be half as excited as me:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

509365.jpg

kaizersoze wrote: »
    <snipped pic>

Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!

I can't see any restrictions lifted before mid August in reality.
    Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

<snipped pic>

I'd be thrilled with that

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'd be thrilled with that

as another user said, I'd take two flies pucking a ball between each other!!
    this is way better than what any of us would have expected.

If that’s all that’s out there on it, from a local radio station, then I wouldn’t be putting much stock in it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'll be thrilled when ye stop quoting pics. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I can't see any restrictions lifted before mid August in reality.
    Could be wrong though.

Exams are scheduled for late July though? Surely if exams can go ahead, games can, even if behind closed doors.

Advertisement