Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a smart trainer

Options
  • 17-03-2020 1:40pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I never thought I 'd go down this route but seriously considering it. Looking at the Wahoo Kickr Core. any negatives (or positives), or better options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

CramCycle wrote: »
    I never thought I 'd go down this route but seriously considering it. Looking at the Wahoo Kickr Core. any negatives (or positives), or better options?

I don't think you can go wrong with the Kickr Core. Solid unit by all accounts, and quiet.

Another alternative the H2I bought one last autumn, very happy with it. Not as quiet s e Core but much quieter than my old on-wheel trainer. Very good for Erg mode - I use Trainerroad.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/turbo-trainers/return-cycleops-h2-hammer-direct-drive-smart-turbo-trainer_482773

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Went wit the Kickr Core, got one with a 30 day, no quibble, return policy for the same price. Have a cassette and all that. So what else is needed. I presume a fan , some rug to catch sweat (I presume it doesn't have to be fancy, the ones on online shops look like giant Yoga mats, would a cheap Aldi yoga mat do?). Will give the Zwift 7 day trial a run. Any tips on anything else needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Fan, argos do one for €30 ish, more than adequate for indoor turbo.

My advice would be if you can set up outdoors i would. This time of year with temps rising it becomes quite a sweaty mess with heart rates sometimes inaccurate as a result no matter what fan you have.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Always thought Lumen was pretty smart at his training

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

Congrats on the turbo.

Planet X have a sale on trainer mats £10 but postage is another £10. Very cheap compared to other places. You'd prob be fine with a yoga mat though.

I got my fan off a building supplier, a good bit more powerful than the Argos ones. Very happy with it.

https://cpcireland.farnell.com/search?ost=Fan&searchref=searchlookahead&product-range=pro-elec-high-velocity-floor-fans

Think I got the 18 inch one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 cillchainnigh

CramCycle wrote: »
    Went wit the Kickr Core, got one with a 30 day, no quibble, return policy for the same price. Have a cassette and all that. So what else is needed. I presume a fan , some rug to catch sweat (I presume it doesn't have to be fancy, the ones on online shops look like giant Yoga mats, would a cheap Aldi yoga mat do?). Will give the Zwift 7 day trial a run. Any tips on anything else needed?

@CramCycle - Where did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Am curious to see what kind of setup people are running and where - in the house, garage etc. I'm trying to figure out how mine will work in practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Get yourself the biggest fan you can afford. Something like a WiFi/remote plug to works well so you can turn it on and off when your on the bike, warming up it can be cool enough nice to be able to turn on and off the fan.

https://www.halfords.ie/tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/552101.html

I use something similar to these mats. Aldi and Lidl sometimes do them too, bit to protect from sweat and bit to reduce vibrations thru the ground as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

joey100 wrote: »
    Get yourself the biggest fan you can afford. Something like a WiFi/remote plug to works well so you can turn it on and off when your on the bike, warming up it can be cool enough nice to be able to turn on and off the fan.

https://www.halfords.ie/tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/552101.html

I use something similar to these mats. Aldi and Lidl sometimes do them too, bit to protect from sweat and bit to reduce vibrations thru the ground as well.

Homebase had huge mats that could be cut to size when I was in there at the weekend too. Believe they were cheaper than the above.

I do have to remember that i haven't asked anyone in my house if this is OK, might be returning the trainer very quickly if it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Possibly not the best in terms of timing for delivery, but you can get a stick on thing from Aliexpress that gives your phone the same attachment as a Garmin, so handy to use an out front mount for your phone while on the trainer.

I bought a second cheap case and stuck the Garmin mount on that - much easier than trying to use phone mounts and probably cost less than a fiver delivered for the sticker and new case. Wouldn't use it out on the road but perfect for the turbo.

Something like this
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32950409458.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.34a14c4dJTjVbY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Anyone got a view on this one?

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/standard-turbo-trainers/212792.html

It says it’s one way smart? Not sure what that means, looks to be compatible with Zwift which is really all I’m after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Anyone got a view on this one?

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/standard-turbo-trainers/212792.html

It says it’s one way smart? Not sure what that means, looks to be compatible with Zwift which is really all I’m after.

i think it transmits date to zwift, but doesn't alter resistance based on what zwift sends back to the trainer. E.G, if you were going up a hill, you would have to manually change your resistance, and your speed would slow down until you upped the resistance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Second the vote for those halfords mats. An airmover/ professional drying fan is more effective than any "argos" fan I've tried. Worth the extra imo, especially if training in the house. I'm on a recovery week, so easy endurance, in an unheated shed, and had my fan going this morning.

https://www.cleva-uk.com/collections/vacmaster-air-movers/products/vacmaster-air-mover

lennymc wrote: »
    i think it transmits date to zwift, but doesn't alter resistance based on what zwift sends back to the trainer. E.G, if you were going up a hill, you would have to manually change your resistance, and your speed would slow down until you upped the resistance

Makes sense thanks for that, never used zwift but I presume you know when your coming to a Holland then would have to move to a harder gear to imitate a change in resistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Second the vote for those halfords mats. An airmover/ professional drying fan is more effective than any "argos" fan I've tried. Worth the extra imo, especially if training in the house. I'm on a recovery week, so easy endurance, in an unheated shed, and had my fan going this morning.

https://www.cleva-uk.com/collections/vacmaster-air-movers/products/vacmaster-air-mover

I presume they're pretty loud? Am trying to work out a setup for the garage - problem is my son sleeps directly overhead!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I presume they're pretty loud? Am trying to work out a setup for the garage - problem is my son sleeps directly overhead!
    My original Hammer smart turbo is louder to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Makes sense thanks for that, never used zwift but I presume you know when your coming to a Holland then would have to move to a harder gear to imitate a change in resistance?

You don’t have to change gears at all. Zwift will have a power curve for that trainer. It knows how many watts are needed to spin it at different speeds(per the curve)... it uses the wheel speed and your weight and the gradient to determine what speed to move you along the screen. It works fine but it’s a bit weird in that the resistance is always the same just your speed display alters as the road undulates.
    They have another trainer for a little over 200€ that is 2 way... much better experience altogether.
    Marty.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    You don’t have to change gears at all. Zwift will have a power curve for that trainer. It knows how many watts are needed to spin it at different speeds(per the curve)... it uses the wheel speed and your weight and the gradient to determine what speed to move you along the screen. It works fine but it’s a bit weird in that the resistance is always the same just your speed display alters as the road undulates.
    They have another trainer for a little over 200€ that is 2 way... much better experience altogether.
    Marty.

Thanks for that response all makes sense now , might take a look at the next one up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

How quiet is the wahoo core? I can't train at home indoors because of noise to downstairs which it's a huge pita, and wondering if their marketing 'it's super quiet' speil is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Ordered one in Halfords Tuesday. The saris m2 @382 euros . Got an email to say it would be ready yesterday . No sign of it so rang Halfords and was told it’s still being picked
    Not only that I now see its gone up on their website to 570 from 382!

Oberkon wrote: »
    Ordered one in Halfords Tuesday. The saris m2 @382 euros . Got an email to say it would be ready yesterday . No sign of it so rang Halfords and was told it’s still being picked
    Not only that I now see its gone up on their website to 570 from 382!

Clearly cashing in on the so called impending lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Clearly cashing in on the so called impending lockdown

Will it really happen ? I’ve noticed a few comments on social media cropping up that cycling during this is a burden on the health system and is selfish
    I get the feeling the ones say it never cycle Or exercise

Personally feel cycling alone or running should not be a problem . I’ve as much chance as crashing in my car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Will it really happen ? I’ve noticed a few comments on social media cropping up that cycling during this is a burden on the health system and is selfish

Personally feel cycling alone or running should not be a problem . I’ve as much chance as crashing in my car

Less risk than going shopping

I think the point people are trying to make re being a burden, is that, if you crash or injure yourself whilst cycling you are just adding to the pressure the healthcare are already under, but if that was the case you literally wouldn’t be able to leave your house.

Mental health is as important know as ever, getting out for a cycle is well needed for some and even in a full lockdown should still be allowed.

Long term review of the Core?

I'm likely to buy one next week all going well but the Direto XR is a candidate as well. €800 is a fair wad of cash so want to be sure i'll get the best bang for buck.

I'm facing the same dilemma but was leaning more towards the Direto XR. Can't really say why either. Stock of either isn't looking great though.

If i'm getting the Wahoo it will be through Cigala retail as they are an approved seller for warranty etc. From googling about the old web Wahoo customer support are miles ahead of Elite which is something to bear in mind especially as the X4 is a new unit.

I've just sold mine, great unit, really solid and reliable, I just hate trainers, end of story

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    If i'm getting the Wahoo it will be through Cigala retail as they are an approved seller for warranty etc. From googling about the old web Wahoo customer support are miles ahead of Elite which is something to bear in mind especially as the X4 is a new unit.
    Yeah warranty seems a huge issue with trainers - they don't seem to be built to last

Advertisement