Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep that infrastructure is purely for crossing to where the cyclist is in the pic, any cyclist going straight on should be on the road before the left filter lane occurs so they can be in the middle lane at the junction.

Kamikaze stuff from the cyclist and the sort of behaviour that only encourages the anti cyclist brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah I don’t know the actual area well myself but it looks like they should’ve had some form of flyover for pedestrians and cyclists, as opposed to multiple crossings of 3 lane roads.

I swear anyone who designs any infrastructure like that never actually thinks what happens to cyclists at the end of the path, it’s the ‘figure it out yourself’ plan once you get to where they’ve planned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

One of the closest yet this evening passing the Intel roundabout towards Maynooth here I was in lane 1 coming from Leixlip proceeding straight through when a left-hand drive van comes from behind in the same lane and attempts to take the first exit straight through me. Had I not completely stopped he would have gone through me and he missed my front wheel by mm. I had just fixed a puncture so annoyingly the camera was off, it probably saved me though as my pump broke so the front wheel was only half inflated and I was traveling a lot slower as result. I let such a roar I frightened the passenger in the rear seat visibly jumped out of their seat.

Take a guess as to what happened before you hit play. More than likely you'll be wrong. The drivers response is a bit nuts too

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm well familiar with that roundabout. Like most of that new piece of road, it's design is quite flawed if you're not driving a car (although I'd expect nothing less from Kildare Co Co).

The approach from Leixlip really should be left lane for turning left (towards M4) and right lane for straight ahead towards Intel & Maynooth.

Had you used on the cycle lane then you can pretty much assume that you won't be able to cross the dual carriageway safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Any sound on that video, not getting any from direct link or on twitter. How did you hear the driver's response

No sound, but you can see what they do at the moment they decide they've had enough of the discussion

Agree completely I think if you did follow the cycle lane there are 5 possibly 6 lanes of fast traffic to try to cross unaided!

There isn't even a dip in the kerb to help cross. Outside one of the largest private employers in the state, the new stretch of road with adjacent on-footpath cycle path is complete sh1te!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dependent on the day I will either take the road or the expected path. The path is a pain in the hoop, spits you out at the bottom of an annoying climb. At least the road you can carry pace into Bearna way. The path does mean you can avoid cars provided none run the red (several do though on the other side). In all my times cycling that way, it's a 2 minute cycle, with 2 lights. With the path, on a good day (and it rarely is, it's 4 minutes (more often than not it's 8 minutes).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Poor and dangerous. I had too many vehicles turn left off Drummartin Link to Upr Kilmacud Rd, including one thst had me on the deck.

The cycle lane on the pavement until. Just before the lights means they don't see you as road traffic. Indicating at last second does not help either. The corner should be made a 90 one, not the wide sweeping one thst encourages fast cornering. Very poor by design.

Cycle lanes on pavements are not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Most of the north Dublin cycle lanes appear to have been designed in a way that lead to a cyclist being spat onto a road or a crossing whether it's the ones in Artane that you've to do a pedestrian cross at the roundabout or the one outside the Tesco between Feltrim and Airside that just kind of...stops on the path.

When I cycled from Santry to Finglas last year to get to the COVID testing centre the cycle lane crossed through the entrance to multiple estates that cars definitely would not adhere or pay attention to. The road is the only way really.

To be fair it drops you down to road level a good 25m before hand, the issue is simply cars not giving a f*ck, they don't look, and to be honest I am surprised you even get a indicate as I am turning light, most don't even bother with that. The next junction where they can mergge over the bike lane to turn down Benildus Avenue is actually worse. The number of near misses with pedestrians or cars clipping the safety barriers over the years is astonishing.

I took a longer route into work this morning and went past Intel and the roundabout you mention. Just before I passed Intel, traffic was queueing for the lights at the bridge and I was moving past them in the cycle lane. A lady in her mini-SUV pulls out of the turn on the left (Accommodation Rd) into the queue but most of her car blocking my way. I saw her doing it and although I had to brake hard, I knew I'd be fine. However, she didn't even look down my way just in case.

Further on at the Intel roundabout, again traffic was queueing from Leixlip (and the M4) towards Intel but in the right hand lane. I, in the left lane, had an empty lane and proceeded to cross the roundabout. A driver coming from the M4 direction decided this would be a good opportunity to cross the roundabout and only for what came out as a loud growl, he would have been into the side of me. Thankfully his window was slightly open - if not, would he have heard me and hit the anchors on the roundabout?

It's mad. People are so bloody anxious to get to work and once there they want to get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭munsterfan2

First time I cycled to work ( summer training as it 55k ) I followed signs for N2 and got onto the 3-lane section after M2 where you have to cross to the middle lane to continue straight as the left lane filters onto M50. Didnt do it a second time :-) Now it's left at KilShane cross and around the back of Airport, ClareHall and back onto N2 at Lidl Finglas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean charlestown rather than clarehall? i wouldn't fancy the R122 through balseskin in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The sad thing is the Artane roundabout is so close to being a proper Dutch style roundabout, but priority was given to the cars so crossing is a nightmare due to all the lights.

That and the merges back onto the road are woeful, going town direction it brings you across the front of a busy bus stop and just dumps you into the bus lane, and going towards coolock it brings you down a side road with no real merge back into the malahide road

That bike lane is another disaster and another example of why paint doesn't make infrastructure. If there's no queue you get close passed as your in one "lane" and the car in another so passing distances seemingly don't apply, then the pinch crossing the canal bridge and traffic encroaching on you to cars in the queue to the amenities either suddenly pulling into the lane in front of you or suddenly opening doors to let someone out!

The same roundabout as Tuesday night, keep an eye on the white car on the right as we enter the roundabout, he changed lanes from behind me but then completely messes up and doesn't accelerate into space to get around me then somehow manages to get passed himself and decides to squeeze me! A few minutes later this guy pulls off this manoeuver and quickly gets a taste of his own medicine! Sorry for the language I had a ton of close passes tonight so my blood was up. I cannot wait for the Leixlip -> Maynooth greenway to be done as I will completely avoid this stretch!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

St. Pats and DCU students were causing mild carnage in Drumcondra this evening, spilling everywhere. I politely asked some to get the f*ck off the road, and then one stumbled into me and bumped me in the shoulder. A quick cop on, and fine, til his dickhead mate took a kick at my bike. I was absolutely livid. I had an idea which of them it was. Big man, standing behind his mates saying what you going to do etc.

Anyone cycling through Drumcondra tomorrow, glass everywhere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

huh. DCU students being dicks is one of the possible explanations of the possible seeming break-in i mentioned in the la flamme rouge thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is being replaced by a signal controlled junction.

Must be a city wide student night, UCD students were drinking getting onto the buses at 8:30 this morning and most I seen were not going to make it to 8pm as I went home. Empty shoulders of vodka everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I totally agree they don't give a hoot about their driving. The left turn at Luas heading towards Beacon is for me not as bad as the left onto Kilmacud. It's all bad design though. Between Benildas and Beacon where the lane goes over to the othrt side is bonkers. When you cross you have infrastructure in your way of joining the cycle lane and it's not ramped flush. This is new design and still not thinking of the cyclist access to the two way lane to Beacon. Easily avoidable to make it both pedestrian and cyclist friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Not really a close pass but more of a road rage rant.

Got stuck behind a bin truck on my way to work. Bin truck stopping at every house to pick up bins, holding me back. On a narrow road, so I couldn't overtake and when I had a chance, bin truck had stopped and there was a gap to pass, I decided to go for it, only to be held back because they would start up again. I got off my bike to walk up on the footpath and try and walk past them instead but I wasn't fast enough and they just would not give me a chance to pass, on my bike or on foot. They knew exactly what I was trying to do and just try and get in front, so I could get to work.

Just some cop on is needed, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Stop, I regularly need to cycle through that junction at the beacon/drummartin road with my kid in the trailer. (A trailer i got instead of a 2nd car - sustainable or what!)

And then i need to turn right onto blackthorn Road. For all the cycle lanes painted on the road everywhere, by far the safest way to do it is to just cross at pedestrian lights and roll down the footpath across the old entrance to the hotel. Everything else is putting my kid in harms way.

They've spent so much time and effort putting cycle lanes down, and yet, they're not even close to useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

So your rant is that you couldn't safely pass a slower vehicle in front of you🤔

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not really a near miss, but I just can't get my head around this obsession with getting in front. This is one of the rare times I WASN'T going right at this roundabout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I'm expected to pull in and let cars pass me but that same rule doesn't apply to a other traffic then?

Advertisement