Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wonder Woman 1984

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

MJohnston wrote: »

The real criminal thing is that it was 100% ready and scheduled to release over a year ago, but they delayed it for a bit of extra summer box office.

Yikes, is that true? I thought it was delayed for reshoots or something similar.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yikes, is that true? I thought it was delayed for reshoots or something similar.....
    'The Rise of Skywalker' apparently scared them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They are saying this will need to do $500m at the global box office just to break even now on top of the HBO Max Deal.

Tenet did $360m at the global box office by comparison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem is, there’s now a massive backlog of films waiting to be released. When cinemas do reopen widely there’s going to be maybe not a rush (there’s not going to be like a big ‘immunisation day’ or anything where everything goes back to normal), but a lot of films fighting for attention in a short space of time. Warner Bros is probably thinking not just about Wonder Woman, but the dozen other films with fixed release dates in their own stable, and the other delayed films from other studios they’ll be in competition with.

It’s easy to say ‘just shuffle everything back a year’. But production hasn’t been as badly affected as releases, strangely enough, so the backlog is only building. Getting stuff out has its benefits even with minimal box office - and hey if you can use it as a very expensive ad for a streaming service in the process, sure why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a34882363/wonder-woman-1984-first-reactions/

Early reactions suggest it's a hit but we all know these can be wide of the mark.

• Advertisement

Lots more reviews coming out and they are all basically saying it's a great and clever film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's always an element of skewed positivity from these early reviews; who wouldn't be a bit more effusive if they got advanced screenings over everyone else? Rise of Skywalker had plenty of breathless early reactions after all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

They should wait till cinemas are open properly to release these again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yeah I never trust these Twitter "critic" reviews. The review embargo is up on December 15th, so I'll await the Letterboxd star ratings from my followed few on that day and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

I love the trailer version of Blue Monday and the whole look of the film. Will be worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Has anyone been able to book tickets today? None of the theatres in my area have it listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

growleaves wrote: »
    I love the trailer version of Blue Monday and the whole look of the film. Will be worth a watch.
    Sebastian Bohm did it. He did versions of Sweet Dreams and Paint it Black as well which are decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Sebastian Bohm did it. He did versions of Sweet Dreams and Paint it Black as well which are decent enough.

Thanks I'll give those a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's always an element of skewed positivity from these early reviews; who wouldn't be a bit more effusive if they got advanced screenings over everyone else? Rise of Skywalker had plenty of breathless early reactions after all :D

The first one is 93% on RT and I found it incredibly average. Not sure if the reviews mean a lot for films like this. Feels like critics will generally lean towards giving a positive review

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

siblers wrote: »
    The first one is 93% on RT and I found it incredibly average. Not sure if the reviews mean a lot for films like this. Feels like critics will generally lean towards giving a positive review

Many if not most of these early reviews aren't necessarily standard critical outlets, but fan sites, influencers, bloggers and so on. Often those easily enthused by a seat at a premiere and less likely to actually review the film. Actual critics is another matter but while YMMV, I wouldn't draw a line between the aggregator consensus and these breathless Twitter reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pixelburp wrote: »
    Many if not most of these early reviews aren't necessarily standard critical outlets, but fan sites, influencers, bloggers and so on. Often those easily enthused by a seat at a premiere and less likely to actually review the film. Actual critics is another matter but while YMMV, I wouldn't draw a line between the aggregator consensus and these breathless Twitter reviews
    I saw Terri white from empire gave it a pretty glowing tweet, not full review admittedly but she usually has good taste

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I think it's important to keep in mind that RT scores 100% if a film gets all 3/5 reviews. The first one was fairly harmless; I'd bet it got a lot of middling-to-good reviews. The RT score is a blunt instrument. It's not useless, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The audience score is more reliable if its not in line with the critics score

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I thought the first one was awful. Can't believe it got 93% on RT.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,969 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i loved the first two thirds of it, thought the last act was a mess - from action to dialog, just a mess.

• Advertisement

Blooper reel where Jenkins said she got to shoot it in IMAX and the IMAX techs and cast saying you need to see it on an IMAX screen lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

wonder_woman_1984.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm going to see it on Friday of next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

So you have chosen.. .. death.
    branie2 wrote: »
    I'm going to see it on Friday of next week

So you have also chosen.. .. death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If anyone wants to see WW84 in the IMC in Dún Laoghaire. The times are apparently not favourable for this film.

It's one evening screening per night on Wednesday & Thursday as far as I can see it. Not sure about weekend times yet unfortunately.

The regular screenings begin at 18:45 on Wednesday & Thursday. The Galatic screenings are on an hour later beginning at 19:45 on the same nights.

The Odeon Cinema in Stillorgan OTOH has 8 screenings of this film available per day for Wednesday & Thursday through booking on it's website when it hits cinemas on Wednesday. WW84 will then be reduced to 4 screenings per day in Stillorgan from Friday the 18th of December right up until Christmas Eve.

This means that Odeon can take on more customers who can book tickets online to go & see it.

https://www.odeoncinemas.ie/films/wonder-woman-1984/HO00001208/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Virtual World Premiere is in progress right now:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw it tonight and it explodes out of the blocks.......only to die a death in the 2nd third. Really great opening and it's very good for about 30-40 mins but then it just loses momentum and becomes dull. I lost interest and several times I was looking at the clock. Something that did not happen for me with the first film. I thought the first one was great, a real surprise. It had depth, in that it explored the potential for good and evil is us all. This suffered badly from having no real strong theme. It was all over the place. And that's not even counting the use of a plot device that makes Bobby Ewing stepping out of the shower seem like the genius plotting of Agatha Christie.
    Gal gadot cant be faulted, she is fantastic. Pedro Pascal chews the scenery a bit and Kirsten Wigg does her best. I thought Chris pine stole the first movie, but here he just wasnt given much to do. This is just something unremarkable rolled off the production line, even the score by hans Zimmer is dull. It's not a bad film just nothing interesting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@ Santana75. I am the opposite to you do. I thought it took a wwhile to get going but when it did it was so worth it and I would give it an 8 put of 10 rating.

I agree call Gadot was just amazing. I am even goi going to say I think this could be one of the best films ever made and one of my favourites. I would easily go see it again if it was not for this cursed virus and face masks.
    It's well worth seeing this in the cinema and I think there is a good message in it too as well as some cool scenes. I never looked at my watch once and time flew buy unlike Tenet I enjoyed this film. There is a couple of scenes I had issues with but that's why it is an 8 out of 10film and not a full 10 Mark's.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Really enjoyed it, I don't think it reaches the heights of the first one but a sequel is going to be different. Gal Godot is brilliant as wonder woman, I can't imagine anyone else playing the character. My only real complaint about the film is overuse of orchestral music to the point that it number any impact it should have had by the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just went to see it and thought it was ok. 6, or 7 at best our of 10. I thought some of the cgi was pretty poor, particularly the running scenes. Just looked very unnatural, more like a video game than a film. The non action scenes might have been the best part tbh.

Advertisement