Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Emme wrote: »
    Is it just me or has 2019 had the most depressing miserable weather for years? I don't remember anything like it. I'm old enough to remember 1985 and 1986 and they didn't seem to be this bad for so long. At least the bad weather didn't seem to drag on forever with no let up in sight save for an hour here and there. The ground is so wet, it's so dull. I thought we might get some respite with December, some crisp frosty but sunny days. No such luck, it's more grey skies, rain and wind. A horrible year for farmers and anyone who works outdoors.

Recency bias, it's winter in Ireland, it's always this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Is it just me or has 2019 had the most depressing miserable weather for years? I don't remember anything like it. I'm old enough to remember 1985 and 1986 and they didn't seem to be this bad for so long. At least the bad weather didn't seem to drag on forever with no let up in sight save for an hour here and there. The ground is so wet, it's so dull. I thought we might get some respite with December, some crisp frosty but sunny days. No such luck, it's more grey skies, rain and wind. A horrible year for farmers and anyone who works outdoors.

We had 7hrs 45mins of sunshine today, about as much as you can literally squeeze out of an early December day at these latitudes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Is it just me or has 2019 had the most depressing miserable weather for years? I don't remember anything like it. I'm old enough to remember 1985 and 1986 and they didn't seem to be this bad for so long.

I've talked about this at various times, especially over the past 2 months, but yes I would agree with this. Winter basically didn't happen last January or Febraury with some early summer conditions at the end of February, then the cold set in for Spring and lasted till the 3rd week of June!. Barely a flake of snow or a frost last winter. July was half decent then the deluges started in August and there has been barely any let up since. We missed out on all the heat that everywhere else got during summer and the Atlantic kept biting at our toes during summer.

We've probably had less than 10 dry days since mid September, I've never seen such extensive water logging in my area till this year, most notably since September. I've never had to dig trenches before. I've never seen our road remain partially flooded for a couple of weeks until this Autumn. This year is probably my least favorite year for weather ever, certainly since I first starting posting on this forum about 15 years ago! 2020 can only be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    Barely a flake of snow or a frost last winter.
    Eh, am I getting my years mixed up but was it not last year that The Beast from the East arrived in late February? AFAIK Emma was March so was Spring but the last day of meteorological winter had a very decent dumping of snow in South Meath. I'm North Kildare but only 3/4km from the Meath border. Or was Dunshaughlin a bit too far East and therefore too close to the sea, despite its half decent altitude of around 100m? I recall leaving work early (late morning) in Dublin city on the 28th of Feb as the snow was coming down thick and fast. I could not imagine that the same conditions, if not worse, were not occurring further inland, at higher elevation and with little or no urban heat Island effect at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,469 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

highdef wrote: »
    Eh, am I getting my years mixed up but was it not last year that The Beast from the East arrived in late February? AFAIK Emma was March so was Spring but the last day of meteorological winter had a very decent dumping of snow in South Meath. I'm North Kildare but only 3/4km from the Meath border. Or was Dunshaughlin a bit too far East and therefore too close to the sea, despite its half decent altitude of around 100m? I recall leaving work early (late morning) in Dublin city on the 28th of Feb as the snow was coming down thick and fast. I could not imagine that the same conditions, if not worse, were not occurring further inland, at higher elevation and with little or no urban heat Island effect at play.

That was 2017/18. Gonzo is referring to the winter just gone, 2018/19, which was the mildest on record for several long-term stations including Phoenix Park and Valentia Observatory.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

highdef wrote: »

The Beast/Emma was 2018, same year the lovely heatwave summer of 2018. 2018 was a fantastic year for weather in general, lovely autumn too. This year 2019 has been the complete opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Gonzo wrote: »
    The Beast/Emma was 2018, same year the lovely heatwave summer of 2018. 2018 was a fantastic year for weather in general, lovely autumn too. This year 2019 has been the complete opposite.

Huge thunderstorms in Cork too, and Ophelia in Oct 2017. It'll be hard to top that 10 months for getting lots of extremes so close together.

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Huge thunderstorms in Cork too, and Ophelia in Oct 2017. It'll be hard to top that 10 months for getting lots of extremes so close together.

we've certainly been paying dearly for the wonderful 2018 with this year. Hopefully 2020 is more kind to us and more interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Spare a thought for those who missed out on Ophelia and Emma and have to go back to the 19th of July 2017 for some proper extreme weather and about 40 minutes worth on the 3rd of January 2018 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

2017/2018 really was eventful for us in cork anyway at least. Ophelia, snow shield dropped for a while and a big ol thunderstorm, biggest in years. Brilliant and I miss it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Billcarson

2019 has been such a poor yr for interesting weather its dulled my interest in the weather a bit. Hopefully 2020 will be somewhat better.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

That 40 minutes or so of Storm Eleanor that Xenji mentions was some of the most extreme weather that I have experienced here in the West. Left home here around 5.30 to make the 10 min drive into Castlebar to pick a family member up that eve. On an exposed site here and while it was windy when I left there was nothing overly exceptional about it. Conditions deteriorated so quickly however on the journey into Castlebar that I could not believe what I found myself in the middle of. Would never have ventured out had they been like that at home. Worst driving conditions I ever experienced. Saw a couple of electrical transformers blowing and houses plunged into darkness. It passed through quickly but left a trail of destruction locally. A few houses nearby had their roofs badly damaged and their were numerous trees down around here in Ballyvary but all very localised. Walked nearby fields here the next day and many hardy old hawthorn bushes that had defied many a winters storm in their time were uprooted and bowled over like skittles. We were without power for a number of days. Turned out to be a stingjet from what I remember. Have always been more wary of these powerful Atlantic systems since then. Love seeing the raw power of nature but Eleanor certainly left a lasting impression on me. Always mindful of the wind since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

2017/2018 really was eventful for us in cork anyway at least. Ophelia, snow shield dropped for a while and a big ol thunderstorm, biggest in years. Brilliant and I miss it

Are you referring to the thunderstorm in late May 2018? I can`t recall anything else last year that would fit that description.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Lovely break from the rubbish weather today with plenty of sunshine in Dublin. Pic during afterglow at Killiney Hill.

Stunning photo

• Registered Users Posts: 35,303 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wind picking up, is another storm on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

Wind picking up, is another storm on the way

Yes it's named Irish weather

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Stormed in out here. Raging rage of gale and sideways assaults on the windows.

One of the cats keeps begging OUT but when I open the door a crack the look of shock as he reverses... I know how he feels, but thanks to the forecast I have all I need inside.

Been a long, rowdy night. But we still have power and internet.

West Mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Here we go again Wild and horrible. Wellies for the commute. Meath..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭4Ad

Miserable morning in East Clare, fair windy and rain battering the window.

Wish I could turn the volume down.... deafening.

Now I am DEFINITELY going to order Christmas lights! NEED THE BRIGHTNESS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Trampoline on the line at Parkwest causing delays in and of Heuston this morning.

It has been removed now though.

Uh oh! New forecast on met. ie for Connaught mentions " wintry falls" very soon! That'll cheer folk up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Wind howling here since 4am, heavy rain overnight. Wonder would there be risk of trees coming down in this given the battering they have already taken from Atiyah?

North Cork (elevation 380m)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The wedge of warm sector is in the south now. Kerry Airport is 14 degrees.

SPECI EIKY 100725Z 21016KT 9999 -RA BKN022 14/12 Q0998=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

Wind howling all night in Virginia. Woke several times. About to head out now. The rain gear for the walk to work is really getting used this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

YELLOW WIND WARNING

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland

Strong and gusty southwest winds will veer westerly early this afternoon with some severe and damaging gusts; heavy squally spells of rain continuing too.

Valid: 07:00 Tuesday 10/12/2019 to 16:00 Tuesday 10/12/2019

Issued: 07:00 Tuesday 10/12/2019

42-D6-E6-E6-6-AAF-48-E6-AAFC-850320-EC0-ECD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Horrible dark wet morning here, hate this time of year both going to work and getting home in darkness.

On the 2019 discussion, it hasn't been too bad here since we had that nice warm spell in September, summer was a complete write off and one of the worst I've experienced but autumn has made up for it somewhat with a lot of nice bright calm days

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Today is the second anniversary since a sliding front left a nice fall of overnight snow here in this part of Mayo. It was followed by a glorious clearance early the next day from the north with blue skies and crisp, clean air. It was already freezing here close to sunset again that afternoon.
    Meanwhile today: A freshening southerly wind carrying sheets of intensifying rain and grey skies. 11c.
    All one can do is dream!

pad199207 wrote: »
    YELLOW WIND WARNING

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland

Strong and gusty southwest winds will veer westerly early this afternoon with some severe and damaging gusts; heavy squally spells of rain continuing too.

Valid: 07:00 Tuesday 10/12/2019 to 16:00 Tuesday 10/12/2019

Issued: 07:00 Tuesday 10/12/2019

That is for this afternoon! Worse than it is now? Serious weather

West mayo offshore island .

• Advertisement

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Wind howling here since 4am, heavy rain overnight. Wonder would there be risk of trees coming down in this given the battering they have already taken from Atiyah?

North Cork (elevation 380m)

met ie mention that danger . NB no danger out here as all the trees vanished long ago..

Advertisement