Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a way to find who lived in a particular house?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gaowei007

KildareFan wrote: »
    MIchael Hogan looked for a pension in 1917 & the 1851 Census form was checked. This showed that the occupants in 1851 at Derrycaliff, Crusheen, Co Clare were Martin and Honor Hogan, parents of Michael. The note on the form reads '12.9.17. Found parents married 1859, no son Michael Sheet 14' so it looks like he was claiming the pension before his time.

Honor Hogan may have been the Norrie Hogan, Derrycaliff who appeared at the Crusheen petty sessions on 27 Sep 1869 for allowing her heifer to trespass on Michael McAllen's meadow.
    shanew wrote: »
    Well done! Are we 100% those records refer to the occupants of the houses at Derryboy? Can you briefly explain how you arrived at the conclusion that it must be Hogans? I'd like to do a similar search about nearby Thimbletown. It's gone completely as far as I can tell, it used to be to the northeast of Derryboy....

The possible Hogan link I suggested was based on the properties on Griffith's Valuation for Derrycalliff townland cross-referenced with with the AskAboutIreland map which has the area around 'Derryboy' shown as site '1'. There is just one listing for the surname Hogan* listed for the townland on the valuation and two for the 1901 and 1911 census, so seems likely that the two Hogans listed on the census returns are related...

*Martin Hogan is listed with just land and offices (i.e. barn, workshops etc) in site 1, the area around 'Derryboy', his residence seem to be in the adjacent site 2 to the south west.
    KildareFan;96405536 , beveragelady;96406516 , and shanew;96407224 -
    Interesting discussions in prior threads. Hopefully, you will see my message. From recent research, compelling information supports strong confidence I am related to the Martin Hogan and Honor Hogan (nee: Honora Garvey) in Derrycalliff. Additionally, the 1901 Census reflects their son Michael was 12 years old. Not only was Michael alive in 1917, I believe he was the same Michael Hogan I met in 1998. By 1998, Michael was quite elderly and apparently did not live too much longer. 
    In the 1847-1864 Griffith's Valuation, the James Butler listed as landlord for Martin Hogan's leased property was also the landlord for my Gr Gr Grandfather John Garvey, b. early 19th century, d ~1892 (Spouse: Margaret/Margret Cunnair / Cunneale 1814-1893). When I met Michael Hogan, he purportely lived in a rather tired cottage which apparently was my Gr Gr Grandfather John Garvey's home in the mid-19th century. The house was also where my Great Grandfather James Garvey was born/raised before migrating to the States.
    Lending additional support, Michael Hogan showed and gave me a few pictures of my paternal Grandparents from their mid-1960s visit with relatives living at that point. Finally, Michael generously insisted I enjoy a few shots of whiskey and shared information giving good reasons to believe the family connection. As I recall, he mentioned a few distant younger relatives (Hogans and Hassetts; the latter a surname with the same mid-19th century landlord, James Butler).
    Hopefully, one or more of you receive this message and we can share more information.
    Best regards, JG

Advertisement