Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Earthquake in Nepal 7.9 magnitude

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

7.9 it will be devastating.

Probably will be a high death toll. Major avalanches on the mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 30,025 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

RobertKK wrote: »
    7.9 it will be devastating.

Probably will be a high death toll. Major avalanches on the mountains

Must be start of climbing season too, same time of year as last years Everest Avalanche, April 18th last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

I'm close to Sauraha in the south. It was all very sudden and quite intense. One of those moments you realise you have absolutely no control and need to remain calm as possible, well I tried to for the sake of my girlfriend.

Very little damage if any around here but has been some casualties I believe. Was meant to leave for Kathmandu in the morning but staying on an extra night.

These poor unfortunate people, their buildings really didn't stand a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

1300 dead so far, Ancient irreplaceable Monuments and Temples Destroyed, Everest Base Camp and Mountain hit with Avalanches with 18 climbers dead and more trapped on the mountain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

It's an awful tragedy
    But earthquakes have nothing to do with weather,why do people put them in the weather forum?

Are they caused by weather fronts? Areas of low pressure? Anticyclones? Anything weather related? No,No,no and no

They are geological with big news worthy consequences so therefore should be in a geography or geological forum for technical discussion and after hours for general stuff/discussion on the tragic news etc

Weather is about the atmosphere,not the movement of plates under the ground

(Volcano's are different obviously because they can impact on the weather,yet there's no thread here on the Chilean volcano of the last week)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

While it is not strictly weather related, discussion on Seismic Activity (in Ireland and worldwide) has had an unofficial home in the weather forum for over nine years, probably because many people who are interested in weather also have a strong interest in other earth sciences & natural phenomena i.e. Earthquakes, Aurora Borealis etc.

A quick search of the weather forum shows a good number of long-running and popular threads relating to earthquakes which have set a precedent - just a few examples Earthquakes in Ireland and the UK, and Earthquake Swarm (11000+) El Hierro, Canary Islands

As always, if you have an issue with a post, PM the mod team or report the post and if we see a major ground swell against discussing seismic activity the mod team can review this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Lumi wrote: »
    Mod Note

While it is not strictly weather related, discussion on Seismic Activity (in Ireland and worldwide) has had an unofficial home in the weather forum for over nine years, probably because many people who are interested in weather also have a strong interest in other earth sciences & natural phenomena i.e. Earthquakes, Aurora Borealis etc.

A quick search of the weather forum shows a good number of long-running and popular threads relating to earthquakes which have set a precedent - just a few examples Earthquakes in Ireland and the UK, and Earthquake Swarm (11000+) El Hierro, Canary Islands

As always, if you have an issue with a post, PM the mod team or report the post and if we see a major ground swell against discussing seismic activity the mod team can review this.

Why not just set up Seismicity sub-forum in the Science forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

FWVT wrote: »
    Why not just set up Seismicity sub-forum in the Science forum?

That's a matter for the admins so it's not really up for discussion here. Post your request in Forum Requests

In the meantime lets get this thread back to discussing the earthquake in Nepal

Just trying to hit the hay there and felt another tremor. Shortest one yet I think but enough to delay sleep for another while.

So I'm not looking forward to the bus to Kathmandu tomorrow, not only that the road is a death trap but also entering a complete disaster zone that was full of celebration last time I was there.

My flight isn't until Tuesday but sleeping at the airport will be safer than chancing my hostel in Thamel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Just trying to hit the hay there and felt another tremor. Shortest one yet I think but enough to delay sleep for another while.

So I'm not looking forward to the bus to Kathmandu tomorrow, not only that the road is a death trap but also entering a complete disaster zone that was full of celebration last time I was there.

My flight isn't until Tuesday but sleeping at the airport will be safer than chancing my hostel in Thamel.

So pretty adverse weather expected in the affected region over the next few days. Not going to help at all.

http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/32472878

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

do you have to make that journey? id be more inclined to stay the hell away from the disaster area and let the emergency services do their job. glad to hear your ok though. been in an earthquake before. very scary stuff. not as bad as your quake though. best of luck with your journey

fault line is still fairly active. must be a scary place right now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Terrible scenes imagine being half way up Everest when an earthquake goes off
    Video footage of an avalanche at base camp looked terrifying can't imagine what it's like for those up higher

Terrible scenes imagine being half way up Everest when an earthquake goes off
    Video footage of an avalanche at base camp looked terrifying can't imagine what it's like for those up higher

true. was in an earthquake before. most terrifying thing ive ever experienced and it was no where near as bad as this one. its terrifying for everybody to be honest regardless of where they are during it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It's an awful tragedy
    But earthquakes have nothing to do with weather,why do people put them in the weather forum?

Are they caused by weather fronts? Areas of low pressure? Anticyclones? Anything weather related? No,No,no and no

They are geological with big news worthy consequences so therefore should be in a geography or geological forum for technical discussion and after hours for general stuff/discussion on the tragic news etc

Weather is about the atmosphere,not the movement of plates under the ground

(Volcano's are different obviously because they can impact on the weather,yet there's no thread here on the Chilean volcano of the last week)

Actually, there is some discussion that the Weather can cause Earthquakes, particularly in regions like Nepal where the monsoon rains bring a colossal amount of water.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/severe-weather-earthquake-111212.htm

An excerpt from the story ::
    Ader works in Nepal's Himalaya Mountains, where the monsoon season often brings a meter (3.3 feet) or more of rain each summer. The weight of all that water bends the whole underground system of tectonic plates, Ader said, which scientists can measure through slight seasonal movements in the positioning of GPS stations around the country.

The bending however puts pressure on the plates that's in opposition to the tectonic stresses. If the plates are like pages in a bent book, sliding slightly past each other, the rains act to put that book back to normal, Ader said.

So there's definitely a discussion to be had from a weather perspective on earthquakes in the weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I can't really tell, has there been much damage or loss of life sustained in northern India or indeed in the sparsely-populated Chinese part of the Himalayas?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I can't really tell, has there been much damage or loss of life sustained in northern India or indeed in the sparsely-populated Chinese part of the Himalayas?

If you trust wikipedia as a source ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Nepal_earthquake#Aftermath

There's a constantly updated table of the death toll on the right hand side

just found out a neighbour was evacuated from everest two days prior to this quake. lucky man

I made it out to Bangkok last night. Kathmandu was a very sad and sorry looking place but amazingly most people seemed in good spirits.

I made it out to Bangkok last night. Kathmandu was a very sad and sorry looking place but amazingly most people seemed in good spirits.

good to hear you ok. earthquake zones are difficult to experience but i to was surprised at how resilient people are in them. enjoy khao san

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

7.3 in the past while being followed by >5's now,
    http://ds.iris.edu/seismon/eventlist/index.phtml
    And Japan gets a rattle from a 6.8 now,an eventful day.

Advertisement